The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 02:56 PM

Default Anyone have a Guild OM 120

Or played one ?

Hey folks been a while since I been by hope all is well

I’m interested in getting a affordable ( my wallet needs a break ) All mahogany ( I should I say Sapele ) guitar in a Orchestra body style .

I’m sure I missed some models but over all I’ve not found to many , affordable ones that is . I’ve really just seen a Alverez that looks very nice but it’s a 24.5 scale . I open tune a lot and I think the 25.5 is better for that .

I also found a Sound Forge yup who ? Kind of a new start up, ok name not so great logo on the head stock . Very little info otherwise it’s made in China . The company is out Washington state I believe . I ask for spec info and not heard back though my first email was answered . Maybe I upset them asking who designed the guitar along with specs like scale length ,body dimensions , nut with etc .

Being a Guild lover and as mentioned my wallet needing a break I decided to look at the Guild imports as the Guild Om 120 fits the bill pun intended haha .

Ok so to point does anyone know of other like models of All Solid wood that I might check out ? Along with anyone owning the Guild OM 120 and experience playing one and your thoughts on it .

Thanks for your help
Regards
Ray

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-17-2018, 03:22 PM

What about a Road Series Martin? The 000RS1. They list at $750, but they go on sale sometimes and I'm sure you could do better than MAP from a forum sponsor. Solid Sapele, has a pickup, and I think its the full scale despite being listed as a 000. (Its like the 15 series 000, which has 000 string spacing but OM scale length).
Old 04-17-2018, 04:12 PM

I've had a Guild OM-120 for about a year. I really love mine. Terrific sound. Powerful. Punchy. Sweet highs, deep lows. I fingerpick with and without picks, strum with a pick. Sounds great in all situations.

It's also got probably the most comfortable neck I've perhaps ever played on an acoustic. Bit of a chunky neck. Substantial. But I find it super playable.

I also tune down (and occasionally up) in open tunings. Sounds great.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
What about a Road Series Martin? The 000RS1. They list at $750, but they go on sale sometimes and I'm sure you could do better than MAP from a forum sponsor. Solid Sapele, has a pickup, and I think its the full scale despite being listed as a 000. (Its like the 15 series 000, which has 000 string spacing but OM scale length).
Thanks second city , Tv show ? thank for the lead . I’ve have looked into OOO 15 did not know about the OOORS1. I think I’ll pass on it though . I’m a picky sob though it sounds ok I’m not a fan of Richlite nor satin finishes . But will try to keep an open mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Picker View Post
I've had a Guild OM-120 for about a year. I really love mine. Terrific sound. Powerful. Punchy. Sweet highs, deep lows. I fingerpick with and without picks, strum with a pick. Sounds great in all situations.

It's also got probably the most comfortable neck I've perhaps ever played on an acoustic. Bit of a chunky neck. Substantial. But I find it super playable.

I also tune down (and occasionally up) in open tunings. Sounds great.
Thanks QP , you sound very satisfied I played one F30 Gad series’s Sitka hog and was very impressed with its tone but I wanted Rosewood so I ordered one. I ended up returning it as the notes went dead the farther up the neck I went at that point I jumped to Blueridge BR180 A (Awesome guitar ) and then to USA Guilds , sure wish they made a Triple O Orchestra all hog

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-17-2018, 05:45 PM

I have not tried the 120, but I played an OM-140 and was on the verge of pulling the trigger when a like new New Hartford F-30 Std. popped up for sale on another forum.

The 140 is not the same guitar as the 120, but same factory, and it was good, IMO. (Not as good as the F-30 Std., though . . . )

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-17-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 04-17-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I have not tried the 120, but I played an OM-140 and was on the verge of pulling the trigger when a like new New Hartford F-30 Std. popped up for sale on another forum.

The 140 is not the same guitar as the 120, but same factory, and it was good, IMO. (Not as good as the F-30 Std., though . . . )
Yup well I know about the F30’s their on my list . I have two contemporary series the cv-1 and now the co-2 which is pretty close in tone to the F30’s but you can’t beat the NH models

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 AM

If the 240CE is any indication... I'm thrilled with mine, except for the pickup.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfrat View Post
If the 240CE is any indication... I'm thrilled with mine, except for the pickup.

Cool , just checked the 240 out sounds pretty good . I ordered the 120 from Sweetwater but the guitar is 2 months out they said .

Even though I ordered it and gave a window I decided to post here see what else might pop up , not much yet it seems lol

I understand the pickup I don’t care for UST’s much at all . The only one I got along with was Shadows split system on the EPI’s in stereo mode .

I’m not sure what your needs are but I put a mini flex mod 2 in my Blueridge and sounds great . Not sure how it would work in loud situations.

It’s also a pain in the butt to set up unless you get right the first time , thank the guitar gods the batteries last a year haha .

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-18-2018, 08:33 PM

yeah. i hate ust's as well. i have a jjb 330 sitting on my desk for my Alvarez. once I get that done, i want another for the OM240. And for the life of me, i do NOT get carving huge holes for onboard preamps. 1/4" TRS through the end pin, phantom powered belt pack makes so much sense i cant believe its not the defacto standard to the near exclusion of all else.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfrat View Post
yeah. i hate ust's as well. i have a jjb 330 sitting on my desk for my Alvarez. once I get that done, i want another for the OM240. And for the life of me, i do NOT get carving huge holes for onboard preamps. 1/4" TRS through the end pin, phantom powered belt pack makes so much sense i cant believe its not the defacto standard to the near exclusion of all else.
Once an board preamp now with wood carving of some trim it could be a nice sound port .

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-19-2018, 09:49 AM

I played a used 120 at a GC a couples months ago. I got excited.

Ya. It was that good. 2 thumbs up on playability and tone.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:24 AM

I played it for awhile with the stock strings and then put the JP nickel on there and really like the tone and playability.

(If I could afford one, I'd have a Taylor 322.)

Old 04-20-2018, 08:38 AM

Looks nice

I’m not a Taylor fan I’ve played many none of them said take me home but each to there own

I’m just hoping to get a good enough time out the 120 . I can always send it back if fails my ears . I guess then I’ll have to consider something other and most likely much higher in cost lol . I’m just hoping to get out cheap this time .

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-20-2018, 08:59 AM

Simon and Patrick make a Woodland Pro Folk (more 00 than OM) in an all Mahogany with a slotted headstock. They look good and sound good on internet video but I have never actually played one.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 04-20-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I have a D-120ce that I bought used. It's a decent guitar that rings out a bit.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion