The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
...Taylors are known to be bright, and the V bracing didnt change that all that much. In fact, looks like the innovation didnt change the sound of Taylor guitars all that much.
Based on the full and rich tone of my Taylor 524 and revoiced 714 & 814, I believe that the “bright” adjective is a very tired one that has outlived its usefulness and accuracy....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-16-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Forest View Post
I haven't tried a V braced Taylor, but what I do know is that previously, they sounded very thin and sustain was cut short when capo'd further up the neck.

I hope I'll come across some by year's end. I hope the marketing lives up to the hype.
Maybe you should demo a "V" braced Taylor guitar before making comments on the sound??? That's like saying a VW will outrun a Lamborghini because the VW was really fast on YouTube.

I went to a Taylor Road Show last month and played a "V" braced 914ce. There's nothing "thin" about the "V" braced sound. The clarity and sustain is impressive and a real step forward.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 AM

For MY ears, the Taylor V system is a success when compared against a Taylor without it. Mainly, it offers better sustain.

Is it in the same sonic class as a good Martin or Collings?

No.

YMMV
Old 04-16-2018, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

I can’t speak for the v-braced Taylors but my X-braced 812, 714, GS-7, and K-22 get equal attention as my Collings, Santa Cruz, and Robinson guitars. Each guitar offers a different tonal signature and I agree with a previous poster that Taylor guitars do not sound thin.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-16-2018, 06:22 PM

Very interesting and insightful comments. My Taylor’s are still in my rotation and I’m a big fan of both the ES systems as I still play 100 gigs a year. Taylor as a company still impresses me more than any other guitar maker over the last 40 years for their vision, technological advances and sustainability efforts. I firmly believe as guitar players we are all better off because of their existence. Martin is certainly at least equal in their vast contributions to the guitar world since their inception and Gibson, perhaps to a somewhat lesser extent IMHO.

I am looking forward to playing a V braced Taylor and experience any sound changes myself. While never being dissatisfied with the sound of any Taylor’s I have owned - and that’s many, I am hoping for a bit richer and fuller sound overall. I will post my findings.

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Maybe you should demo a "V" braced Taylor guitar before making comments on the sound??? That's like saying a VW will outrun a Lamborghini because the VW was really fast on YouTube.

I went to a Taylor Road Show last month and played a "V" braced 914ce. There's nothing "thin" about the "V" braced sound. The clarity and sustain is impressive and a real step forward.
You misinterpreted what I meant. I meant non-V-braced Taylors I found to be very lacking when capo’d further up the neck. I hope V-braced Taylors resolve this weakness.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:48 PM

This whole Taylors only sound good plugged in thing is one of those Internet forum myths that just get repeated often enough that some people take it as fact.

I guess I only bought my Taylor dreadnought that has zero electronics not because it was the best sounding guitar I played in the store that day, (a room full of Taylor’s and Martins) but because it might sound good plugged in if I bought a pickup.

As a Taylor owner ( and I like most guitar brands), I get sick of reading that so much.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:54 AM

I am interested to try these new V Braced Taylors. A 310CE was my first nice acoustic and I loved that guitar. Personally, I think Taylors sounded better some years back. That may be that my tastes have changed or maybe I have been exposed to better builders. I still think, up to about the $2200 mark, you cannot get a new guitar that sounds better than a Taylor (although I dislike their Expression system very much). I prefer them to Martins and Gibsons.

However, I don't think Taylor can compare to the guitars mentioned- SCGC, H&D, etc. Even their presentation series, while gorgeous, don't match the sound of those companies, in my mind. I don't think that they can produce the quality guitar of these other companies while producing as many as they do. It's just not possible to give each guitar as much love and detail.

Are all of their new guitars going to have this V-Brace?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:06 AM

I've said it many times before but I'll say it again...

To me the best sounding/sustaining guitars Taylor makes are their bottomfeeders. The 110/114 and 210/214 are really great guitars and outshine all the rest.

Also, I've put K&K's into Taylors equipped with the various Expression systems. No comparison here... the K&K GREATLY improves plugged in tone.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
This whole Taylors only sound good plugged in thing is one of those Internet forum myths that just get repeated often enough that some people take it as fact....As a Taylor owner ( and I like most guitar brands), I get sick of reading that so much.
True dat.......
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-17-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Also, I've put K&K's into Taylors equipped with the various Expression systems. No comparison here... the K&K GREATLY improves plugged in tone.
^^^^
That makes a lot of sense. Those expression systems are just so wonky. They also tend to break a lot.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
...Those expression systems are just so wonky. They also tend to break a lot.
While I’m not certain what you mean by, wonky, I wonder where you got the notion that Expression Systems frequently fail. There were teething problems when the ES was first introduced but they were rectified within the first 6 months.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I've said it many times before but I'll say it again...

To me the best sounding/sustaining guitars Taylor makes are their bottomfeeders. The 110/114 and 210/214 are really great guitars and outshine all the rest.

6L6 - I couldn't disagree with you more !!!

I own a number of Taylors and there is no comparison between the all wood Taylors and the laminated series (1&2). The voice, sustain and clarity is not even comparable. The 1&2 series are the best guitars in their price range but do not compare to their bigger brothers.

I've owned and used Taylors for over 15 years with ES & ES2 systems and have NEVER had a problem with their electronics. Yes K&K makes good pickups, I have the Ultrapure Mini in a Voyage-Air guitar, but they are definitely not an improvement over the active ES systems. In fact a K&K Pure Mini requires a pre-amp in most situations. Check the Amplification Forum and you'll find innumerable posts regarding this problem.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-21-2018, 11:15 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
You echo my prior posts on this subject. I believe that's what Powers is moving toward. It began with the re-voiced models and has evolved into the V-Bracing.

I disagree with the post that said Taylor already thought they were in the camp of those other models you mention. In quality, playability, and other areas, yes they were, but not in terms of depth of sound and bass response. That's where the re-voiced models went, and as one AGF'er stated, he thought they went too far. After trying the V-Braced guitars he said they had refined the tone to be more "Taylor", keeping a great low end and being consistent up and down the neck, with great balance and sustain.
Well said.

Former:
1999 Taylor 314ce
2010 Taylor 614c
2004 Taylor 714
2009 Taylor GA5
2011 Taylor GA7
2021 Taylor 114e

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion