The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-31-2018, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I sucked on a beer can, once. That doesn't make me a can sucker.
Um... yeah, it kinda does. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's your thing. If you did it once and didn't tell anyone about it, that might be different. But, now that you've told the world...

To get back on-topic: some who haven't tried a carbon fiber guitar may think it will "sound like plastic." Will an all aluminum guitar sound "metalic"??
Old 04-01-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
To get back on-topic: some who haven't tried a carbon fiber guitar may think it will "sound like plastic." Will an all aluminum guitar sound "metalic"??

It might be that most carbon fiber guitars don't sound like grandpa's old Martin. But then there's people who go for metallic sound on purpose. Resonators, anyone?

I have no idea how this one sounds.

I tried a google search for aluminum guitars and came across some builders who do aluminum electrics - including aluminum necks. Some had youtube clips with sounds from jazz to shred. Didn't sound exactly like most telecasters - but then my wooden partscaster with sort of tele hardware doesn't sound exactly like most telecasters either.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-01-2018, 10:09 PM

I wish there were hi fi sound clips on this guitar,
I don't have access to recording other than a phone and can't play guitar..
This dred had another few raves today. no name seasoned players.
It is going to Portland this week.
It will be available there for auditioning.

Last edited by bostosh; 04-01-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

I applaud your innovation and going for it.

In my mind, the top of the guitar is like the cone in a speaker. Okay, the back resonates too, and to a lesser degree the sides, etc...but most of the sound comes from the top. Getting back to the speaker cone reference, we see many materials used there...paper, polymer, and spun aluminum to name a few.

My resonator guitar has a spun aluminum cone as the sound generator. And of course my beloved Emerald uses unbraced carbon fiber (don’t think there are any braces, anyway). The gas can guitars use sheet metal, and they do make a noise that pleases some.

The challenge is finding that right mix of thickness, braced or unbraced, etc., to get a sound with ear-pleasing resonance. If you have that, please share a sound clip.

And innovate onward and upward...😎
Old 04-11-2018, 09:14 AM

There are these things called "Resonator guitars" made out of aluminum, steel, and brass... Been around for a long time now... That's pretty well where the design of metal body acoustic guitars ended up.... And a lot of different designs were tried... A lot of really skilled and innovative Luthiers fiddled with these over the years.

I think before you re-plow that ground - it may be worth deciding whether you like the sound of a metal body resonator guitar or not...
Old 04-12-2018, 09:26 AM

Default not a resonator

Zeeway, What this is , a substitute for the soundboard only,
Think of the speed of vibration in a solid object, very fast, makes a huge difference in the propagation of the string vibrations.
i just designed bracing and the top deck integrally and machined a 1/4" thick plate of aluminum and substituted in place of the wood soundboard, straight from the Georgia Luthiers Dread plans.
The salesman at Sam Ash was very surprised playing this after demo'ing the Taylor-V models. noted extreme quality, clarity and depth of sound.
How does one get perfect recording of clips from a cell phone mic?
(especially when i cannot play a guitar)
I'll tell you more if there are interested members.
Anyone near san diego for an audition?
Old 04-12-2018, 12:08 PM

Some years ago I was given an Applause 12 string from the 1970s. IIRC, when I researched it I learned that the neck, fretboard and frets were made of aluminum, all one piece.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Some years ago I was given an Applause 12 string from the 1970s. IIRC, when I researched it I learned that the neck, fretboard and frets were made of aluminum, all one piece.
Extreme engineering was it neck-heavy?
Old 04-12-2018, 09:15 PM

A widely held opinion among acoustic CF guitar owners is that the material conjures a “piano-like” sound. You may happen to like that sound. I certainly do.

Alternate soundboard materials challenge us to consider other sound qualities for CF. Nothing wrong with that.

I’m finding through experimentation that there are cool (and reversible) ways to change the acoustic properties of CF soundboards.

The Tonewood Amp is one example. Taping an ashtray bridge cover to the soundboard is a another way to change the sound (it adds complexity - compression and a bit of reverb).

So when someone makes an aluminum soundboard for a CF guitar, I’m intruiged. If I was in San Diego I’d jump at the chance to audition this. As a consolation, can you maybe post some sound clips afterwards?
Old 04-12-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
. Taping an ashtray bridge cover to the soundboard is a another way to change the sound
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit smoking...sigh...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-12-2018, 09:23 PM

Just depends on what’s smoked
Old 04-12-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
Extreme engineering was it neck-heavy?
No, seemed pretty normal. I have not played it for a long time

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
aluminum soundboard