The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Paige for me. Don't see many mention this one.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Planet Waves NS. Set your own pressure. Quick on and off. Fits in your pocket.

Not so much, for me. These are the Planet Waves that I have. And though effective, lightweight & small, AND way affordable (I got two for under $20), they are NOT nearly as fast as the G7th capos (take your pick, Performance 1 & 2 or Newport).

If fast and easy (and easy is in my case, a product of fast) is not of concern or if capo use is infrequent, these are great, effective capos —*i especially love the adjustable tension, which is similar in function to my fav G7s.

Nothing like capo and string debates to bring out the AGF opinionators.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 01-26-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.P. View Post
Which except for your post and mine, it's largely ignored that the most expensive capo we've seen is the same design as the Paige.

Oh well......
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-26-2015, 04:05 PM

i'm in the shubb camp. like others I've never needed to replace it for falling apart or losing strength. I think mine is about 12 years old now.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
This is not the first time I've seen this mentioned. Could someone please explain to me the physics of why an Elliott capo would not require retuning and a Shubb (or similar adjustable tension capo) would? Every capo I have used usually makes the low E and A strings go noticeably sharp, even if carefully placed and tensioned. I've seen the Elliott capos and can't decipher what the difference would be.
I have an old McKinney/Rice capo made by Bill Stokes, predecessor to Phill Elliott. I'm also a bluegrass guitar enthusiast, which was my introducton to the McKinney style capos way back when...they were/are very popular with this group. Unlike the placement of other capos, I noticed that the McKinney's were placed directly on the fret, just back from center:

Rice, Rowan, Tyminski -

This capability minimizes string pull and fret wear, and is a result of the bar design and tubing. Tom McKinney's design was based on a circa 1900 yoke and screw capo Tony Rice had been using:

And they do require a bit of looking down to adjust them just so, as Tony demonstrates:

I also love the Shubb and have oodles of them around the house and one in each case. But because of its broad flat pad, the Shubb does not sit or perform well on the fret, and thus will be subject to some degree or other of pulling the strings sharp.

The only other capo I've come across that works like the McKinney Elliott is the now defunct Kat Eyz made by Mike Smith. They actually have an even smaller profile that the ME.

Shubb, McKinney, Kat Eyz -
Old 01-26-2015, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I demand one extra requirement from a capo, which 99.9% of capos cannot do... and that's hold the string in place when I'm bending it up.

Only two capos... and I've tried practically all of them... have accomplished this: The Shubb and the Elliot.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:31 PM

How many of you pickers remember the brass Golden Gate? I still have one that I bought after seeing Norman with one.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Which except for your post and mine, it's largely ignored that the most expensive capo we've seen is the same design as the Paige.

Oh well......
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.P. View Post
I also mentioned the Paige. I guess we're a small club...

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 01-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Humanist

Default The Best Capo

Most people that recommend the Shubb have never held or tried the Victor capo...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 01-26-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Most people that recommend the Shubb have never held or tried the Victor capo...
Is that a genetic thing? Allergies? Innate fears? ......Mike
Old 01-26-2015, 07:44 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
How many of you pickers remember the brass Golden Gate? I still have one that I bought after seeing Norman with one.
I could probably scrounge one up if pressed.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I believe it's primarily two things, maybe three, or four.

Straight pull
Precision adjustability
Stiffness of structure
Match to fretboard radius
By "straight pull" are you referring to even tension distribution of the capo across the strings?

The Shubb is also precision-adjustable and stiff.

As to the fretboard radius, it seems when I went to their website, that the only stock option you could change was to choose your guitar's nut width. Are you referring to their custom program (where they make one to your specifications)?

I don't currently feel comfortable spending that much on a capo, but would definitely like to get one in the future just to see.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:14 PM

I'm happy with my Kyser, as it allows me to move it with one hand in the middle of the song and it doesn't pull the strings sharp. However, it should be noted that I place the capo on the fret and the acoustic I use it on is unusual in that it has medium jumbo frets.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
By "straight pull" are you referring to even tension distribution of the capo across the strings?

The Shubb is also precision-adjustable and stiff.

As to the fretboard radius, it seems when I went to their website, that the only stock option you could change was to choose your guitar's nut width. Are you referring to their custom program (where they make one to your specifications)?

I don't currently feel comfortable spending that much on a capo, but would definitely like to get one in the future just to see.
Yes, that is what I mean by straight pull. The tension adjustment being in the middle of the neck and the yoke extending to both sides.

The Shubb is precisely adjustable and stiff, which I why I like it. However to adjust it, you have to unclamp it. I make make small adjustments to Elliott one handed.

Phil will build (within reason) anything you want. Their standard capo matches the radius of Martin necks, which is mostly what I play.

If you want to try one but aren't fully committed, look for a used one. You have to be fast because they sell quickly. If you don't like it, you can resell it and maybe lose nothing or just the cost of shipping.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

It's Shubb for me, but have had surprisingly good luck with Kava trigger capo I got this year (time will tell) Pretty nicely made with good clamping pressure and padding. It stays tuned reasonably well. Costs under $20 on Amazon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, capo, capo's, d'addario, newbie