The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 04:42 AM

Default Belated NGD - Tanglewood X70

A bit late, but I've been busy with work and gigs. I've had this for 3 weeks now and have played 12 gigs with it. Very happy.
My main gigging guitar, a Tanglewood TW70 has had two fret dresses, and will be going in shortly for a refret, so I needed a guitar to use while it's out of action, and use for a spare when I get it back. I've been looking at my local music shop for a few months, and went in to buy a Maton Performer, when a friend who works there told me a new Tanglewood had just turned up and hadn't been unboxed yet.
As soon as I saw it, I knew if it played as good as it looks, I would have to have it. Short story, it played great straight out of the box, sounds good plugged in, and not too expensive ($1100AU, so around $850US). It's an all solid OM size with a Torrified Spruce top and Mahogany back and sides. I've never been a huge fan of the Fishman Presys+ system, but I'm getting a great live sound from this one.
Nothing special, but a good looking, great gigging guitar.

Last edited by larren; 04-28-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:48 AM

That's better.....fixed the pics

Last edited by larren; 04-19-2018 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:05 AM

Looks really nice! Congratulations! There are a couple of very talented young ladies who play Tanglewoods with Presys systems at my local open mic. They get a GREAT sound through the PA playing in a variety of styles. It all seems effortless; they just plug in and sound great!

The first two 'proper' guitars I bought were Tanglewoods about 15 years ago. I sold them as I 'progressed' in guitar ownership (and playing!) but have recently been drawn back to them. I just swapped a couple of old acoustics I had around for a really nice dread - TW15S with solid spruce top and solid (African) mahogany back. I really like it! It is currently away getting a K&K put in it. Really good, honest guitars.

All the best
Pete
Old 04-19-2018, 06:17 AM

Great looking guitar!

It seems alot of sunburst have popped up on NGDs lately.
I, personally, don't have any burst.

I think AGF is trying to tell me something...
Old 04-19-2018, 08:21 AM

Very nice guitar! Haven't had the chance to play one yet. Enjoy mate!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 04-28-2018, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrith Pete View Post
Looks really nice! Congratulations! There are a couple of very talented young ladies who play Tanglewoods with Presys systems at my local open mic. They get a GREAT sound through the PA playing in a variety of styles. It all seems effortless; they just plug in and sound great!

The first two 'proper' guitars I bought were Tanglewoods about 15 years ago. I sold them as I 'progressed' in guitar ownership (and playing!) but have recently been drawn back to them. I just swapped a couple of old acoustics I had around for a really nice dread - TW15S with solid spruce top and solid (African) mahogany back. I really like it! It is currently away getting a K&K put in it. Really good, honest guitars.

All the best
Pete
Thanks Pete. Is your TW15S a handcrafted Sundance Pro model?

Every higher end Tanglewood I've seen and played has been a very nice sounding well built guitar. They are pretty popular here in Australia, and the best thing is you can pick used ones up for a good price . I agree, they are really good, honest guitars.
My TW70 has been with me for over 6 years, and I have played more than 1000 gigs with it. It has been partly responsible for supplementing my income and paying lots of bills, so even though a refret will probably cost almost as much as I paid for the guitar, it is one that I'll never part with.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:12 AM

That looks really nice! A guitar playing friend of mine has a Tanglewood with solid top and laminate back and sides. It looks similar to yours in size with a sunburst finish. It's a really good player and sounds great!

Congrats!
Old 04-28-2018, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new guitar! Sounds like you are really enjoying it!

- Glenn
Old 04-28-2018, 10:59 AM

Great looking guitar! Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion