The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 03-27-2018, 06:20 AM

Default Looking forward to seeing the Maverick's

Daughter and I are headed to see the Maverick's. Saw 'em in 2015 in a local amphitheater and this year at the Buckhead theater. Their music is infectious and tough not to move to. In 2015, the second the first note played, people ran from their seats to in front of the stage and started dancing and stayed the entire show. Apparently that trend has grown, as the entire floor level of the Buckhead theater is dedicated to standing room only tickets and my fat (can't stand for 2 hours straight) butt has been relegated to the balcony. Not as close as I hoped to get (and got in '15) but I know they will still be good !

Any other Maverick's fans out there ?

Peace

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 03-27-2018, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Raul Malo is fantastic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
Daughter and I are headed to see the Maverick's. Saw 'em in 2015 in a local amphitheater and this year at the Buckhead theater. Their music is infectious and tough not to move to. In 2015, the second the first note played, people ran from their seats to in front of the stage and started dancing and stayed the entire show. Apparently that trend has grown, as the entire floor level of the Buckhead theater is dedicated to standing room only tickets and my fat (can't stand for 2 hours straight) butt has been relegated to the balcony. Not as close as I hoped to get (and got in '15) but I know they will still be good !

Any other Maverick's fans out there ?

Peace

John
Old 03-27-2018, 09:16 AM

Default Raul "The Voice" Malo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Raul Malo is fantastic...
Yes ! Incredible !! There is a video of him singing "For the Good times" in front of Chris Kristofferson (Sp ?) and Chis was clearly moved. Just awesome !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 04-02-2018, 09:06 AM

Default The Mavericks Literally Rocked Buckhead Theater !

The previous time I saw this band they played an outdoor amphitheater and they sounded and performed great. This time they were performing indoors which made for an whole other concert experience !

From the first bass note, the sound from the band was H-U-G-E !! And I mean massive compared to outdoors. I had balcony seats and felt the floor of the balcony and my seat vibrating with each bass and drum note.

And their lazar light show. OMG ! Now I've seen Blue Oyster Cult and Boston in their hey days and it wasn't that prop kinda performance. Just a myriad of lazar multi colored lights synchronized to the music and setting the tone for the tune.

And of course the music. If your not familiar with this band it's a fusion of Slasa, Tex Mex, Polka, Sca, Rock with a few other genre's thrown into the mix just for good measure. Three piece horn section, up right bass, accordion, keyboards, drums, electric lead and rhythm guitars, acoustic guitar, lead and back up vocals out of this nine piece band. Their music is infectious and by the end of the show, no one was sitting in their seats !

And the Lead singer: Raul Malo: They should get rid of the TV show and just name HIM: The Voice !. A Pavariti-like tenor voice. A solo of "Blue Bayou" featured that awesome voice. They also nicely covered Neil Young's Harvest Moon."

By the end of the show there wasn't any one sitting down !

If you are open to different genre of music or just want to have an enjoyable night out listening to an awesome band, check them out !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 04-03-2018, 05:12 PM

I love the Mavericks (even without the possessive apostrophe ). Raul is one of my all time favorite singers.

I was fortunate to be one of the co-organizers of the unveiling of Buddy Holly's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and to serve as consultant and guitar tech (really) to the PS-filmed concert that occurred on the same evening. Raul's performance was one of the highlights;

Old 04-03-2018, 06:13 PM

I've had the pleasure of seeing The Mavericks live twice, and I don't know if I've ever had a better time at a concert...

I saw them both times in a small (700-800 seats) venue and I don't think the smile ever left my face the whole show...

Their music is all across the board, played with energy and passion, and yes, they make your pants want to get up and dance...

And IMO, there's a lot of male vocalists out there winning awards who couldn't carry Raul Malo's microphone...
Old 04-04-2018, 09:10 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the comments jt1 and dennyb. Was beginning to think I was the only Mavericks enthusiast on this site. Even though I am fairly hard core 60's/70's rock fan and their music sound nothing like that, I still love it and everyone I've met that see's them seems to agree that they put on one of the best/most fun concerts out there. Hope other's check them out !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 04-08-2018, 08:17 PM

Oh, what a thrill... I love the Mavericks, and agree that Raul Malo has a spectacular voice.

I remember reading the liner notes for Lyle Lovett's Step Inside This House album that included something to the effect of "I would crawl over a mile of broken glass just to hear Lyle Lovett read from the phone book." I feel the same way about Raul Malo.

BTW, if you like his voice, check out Russell deCarle, the lead singer for the Canadian band, Prairie Oyster. Incredible voice as well.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 04-08-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Oh, what a thrill... I love the Mavericks, and agree that Raul Malo has a spectacular voice.

I remember reading the liner notes for Lyle Lovett's Step Inside This House album that included something to the effect of "I would crawl over a mile of broken glass just to hear Lyle Lovett read from the phone book." I feel the same way about Raul Malo.

BTW, if you like his voice, check out Russell deCarle, the lead singer for the Canadian band, Prairie Oyster. Incredible voice as well.
tHANKS !

jOHN
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon