The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-26-2018, 10:56 AM

Default NRD

Well, after much deliberation, I caved and picked up a National M14T (don't call it a Thunderbox in the UK ;-) ).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wMjCreP55RlqQBum1

Various stringed instruments

Last edited by rsmillbern; 03-26-2018 at 10:56 AM. Reason: add link
Old 03-26-2018, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Looks great! How do you like it so far? How's it set up & how are you inclined to play it? Open tuning? Slide? finger style?
Old 03-27-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THart View Post
Looks great! How do you like it so far? How's it set up & how are you inclined to play it? Open tuning? Slide? finger style?

So far I am really liking it. I had been looking for a resonator for a while. I had been leaning toward a metal body, but the deeper bass tones on this one won me over. It projects quite a bit. I will need to learn how to control it a bit ;-)

I am hoping to learn to play slide with it, both finger style and with a pick (I am better with a pick, but really dig the finger style sound).

I am not too experienced with different setups, but this one seems pretty much middle of the road. It plays fairly well in standard tuning (the neck feels a bit wide compared to my Martin) and the string spacing makes it pretty easy to play finger style. The action is just high enough to make it considerably easier to play with a slide when tuned down to G. At least compared to a Waterloo WL-K that I have been playing in G with a slide recently.

Various stringed instruments
Old 03-27-2018, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Well, have fun with it, nice looking guitar! I have my resonator set with a pretty low action, not so good for slide but it does have an adjustable bridge & I'm just starting to venture into open tuning so I may have to raise it a bit & try out slide at some point myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments