The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-01-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar heroes at the BBC!

Probably seen this compilation many times but it's 11. p.m on Saturday, just sent my wife to bed, and this programme (1 of 6) is of the '60s and '70s:
1. Hendrix, - Voodoo Chile,
2. (Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green)
3. Deep Purple (Ritchie Blackmore)
4. Pentangle (Bert Jansch, and John Renbourn)
5.Paco Pena (a flamenco piece - even the two hand clappers are eye wateringly good!)
6. Thin Lizzy (Whiskey in the jar) with Phil Lynott.
7. Little feat. (Lowell George) (sooo kewl!)
8. Dr Feelgood with the wonderfully weird Wilco Johnson.
9. Santana (oye como va)
10. John Martyn (with his terribly hacked up Martin D28 and an echoplex (Dealer).
11. Tom Petty on a flying V ! (American Girl)
12. BB King - (Hold on) just superb of course.
13. Rory Gallagher
14. The Police (Message In A bottle)
15. U2 . I will Follow (1981 !? ) never liked their sound.

I never saw Jimi, when he was gigging in London because we were always gigging on the same nights!
I knew Mitch Mitchell from his Saturday job at Jim Marshall's, and he actuall roadied for me a couple of times!
We met Noel Redding twice at all petrol stations after gigs.

Saw John Martyn a few times - first time was a "floor spot" at the Hanging Lamp club in Richmond.

Saw Pentangle a few times, some good, some not.

Never met Rory, but we shared a tech, and I played his almost finish free Strat and his D35 ... hellishly high action on both.

For some strange reason they edited out Dire Straits (Sultans of Swing)

A very fine 45 minutes of great music tho'

Google "Guitar heroes at the BBC"
Old 06-01-2019, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the 'heads up'.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 06-01-2019, 06:29 PM

Thanks, just watching and enjoying part 2 now. The first three parts can be viewed, in any order, and downloaded from the BBC site or using the iPlayer app for mobile devices. Depending on your geographic location you may need a (cough, cough) VPN, but I guess you already knew that...

Currently viewing Nils!

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 06-02-2019, 03:42 AM

Silly, great that you have a personal touch with some of these artists (like the roadie). It must have been exciting to be playing on the London scene back then when Jimi was playing. Eric Clapton was also making an impact - did you ever cross paths with him? He was largely responsible for the Les Paul into an overdriven Marshall.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Silly, great that you have a personal touch with some of these artists (like the roadie). It must have been exciting to be playing on the London scene back then when Jimi was playing. Eric Clapton was also making an impact - did you ever cross paths with him? He was largely responsible for the Les Paul into an overdriven Marshall.
Yes, I don't think we realised how great a time it was.

I've told befoer that I used to cycle from school to a venue in Twickenham to await te rollings stones arriving in their VW microbus, and help them unload and transfer stuff to the hotel on Eel Pie Island. Then I'd put Charlie's kit together, and he'd give me short lessons.
Mick used to call me "Little Andy" and I suggested some number for them, including "Poison Ivy" which they learnt for me in a week and later recioded on an ep.
I also saw Jeff Beck, Art Woods (Ronnie's bro), Alexis Korner, John Baldry, Rod Stewart, Cyril Davies and the Allstars, and John Mayall (with and without Eric (Earache)

My band opened for the Graham Bond Organisation once and Eric was on guitar, but I was more interested in Ginger Baker (who watched our set and told me I was a "good drummer" and gave me an armful of signature sticks.
I was called up on stage to back Jo-ann Kelly (me on her 12 string once).

Saw the Yardbirds often and once backing Sony Boy Wiliamson, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Eric all turned up to play lead guitar, and they competed all night long, not that kind to Rice Miller!

Eric used to play an unadvertised gig at a small cricket club where my best mate lived, close to where Eric lives. Don(My pal) got in a couple of times but I didn't although I did get as gig there once.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Yes, I don't think we realised how great a time it was.

I've told befoer that I used to cycle from school to a venue in Twickenham to await te rollings stones arriving in their VW microbus, and help them unload and transfer stuff to the hotel on Eel Pie Island. Then I'd put Charlie's kit together, and he'd give me short lessons.
Mick used to call me "Little Andy" and I suggested some number for them, including "Poison Ivy" which they learnt for me in a week and later recioded on an ep.
I also saw Jeff Beck, Art Woods (Ronnie's bro), Alexis Korner, John Baldry, Rod Stewart, Cyril Davies and the Allstars, and John Mayall (with and without Eric (Earache)

My band opened for the Graham Bond Organisation once and Eric was on guitar, but I was more interested in Ginger Baker (who watched our set and told me I was a "good drummer" and gave me an armful of signature sticks.
I was called up on stage to back Jo-ann Kelly (me on her 12 string once).

Saw the Yardbirds often and once backing Sony Boy Wiliamson, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Eric all turned up to play lead guitar, and they competed all night long, not that kind to Rice Miller!

Eric used to play an unadvertised gig at a small cricket club where my best mate lived, close to where Eric lives. Don(My pal) got in a couple of times but I didn't although I did get as gig there once.
That is so cool, Silly, to be part of a great musical movement! Some great Rock 'n Roll history.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:32 PM

Love the English guitar heroes.

I am taking another shot at the Boston Tea Party "Jumping at Shadows." What a touch Green had!

Nothing there particularly hard to play, but to make it sound right, needs more talent than I have

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars