The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-15-2018, 11:33 AM

Default 83 year old mom is getting a hip replacement. Any words of wisdom?

Anyone had a parent in their 80's get a hip replacement If so, any words of wisdom? She's pretty healthy otherwise, but I've obviously got some concerns about this.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt please......
At 83, it seems like a pretty tough surgery for someone that age.... is it a mandatory surgery (i.e accident, fall etc).... or more or less for comfort ? If its the latter you may just want to take some Aleve and deal with the discomfort, if its manageable.... To me at that age any surgery should be a last resort...
Old 08-15-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintegrity View Post
Take my thoughts with a grain of salt please......
At 83, it seems like a pretty tough surgery for someone that age.... is it a mandatory surgery (i.e accident, fall etc).... or more or less for comfort ? If its the latter you may just want to take some Aleve and deal with the discomfort, if its manageable.... To me at that age any surgery should be a last resort...
She can barely walk anymore. Pain meds/shots have been ineffective. The doc thinks this will be a big help given her overall health.

Last edited by 815C; 08-15-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:19 PM

My mom was in her early 60s with on hip replacement and in her mid 60s with the other one. I was amazed that she was able to get up and walk within 24 hours of both surgeries. I know YMMV and all, but it was pretty amazing.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:58 PM

Several years ago a friend of mine had this surgery. She was in her late 60's and just couldn't deal with the pain any longer. This surgery has improved so much! She had 4 small incisions. It is NOT the surgery it used to be! She was out of the hospital in 24 hours, walking with only a cane 2-3 weeks later, and able to drive in the same. It gave her a new lease on life for the rest of her days. Yes, your mother is sig ificantly older, but you say she is in good health. The fact that her doctor is recommending the surgery also speaks to his/her confidence that your mother is healthy enough for the surgery and believes that the potential benefits outweigh the risks. There are people your mother's age who live several more years. This surgery could greatly increase the quality of those years. Wishing her the best.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 08-15-2018, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
She can barely walk anymore. Pain meds/shots have been ineffective. The doc thinks this will be a big help given her overall health.
I can understand your feelings. Surgery is never without risk.
But the upside in this case is very well worth it. I agree with your doc.
My mother was 93 when she got hers, albeit precipitated due to a fall. But not an overly bad one. She could have foregone surgery, but not without the prospect of restricted mobility and pain meds. She opted for the surgery, and was/is very happy with the outcome. She's 95 now, and still "kicking". It was the right decision.
I think it's especially important in these cases to find a surgeon that has experience with elderly patients. Ideally, you want one that has done a lot of them, and on many older patients. Experience counts.
If your mom is otherwise healthy, and you can find a good surgeon, I think it's the right way to go. It will have a positive impact on her quality of life. And that counts for a lot.
I know it's hard for you, but you have to look at it from her perspective. Ultimately it's her life, and her decision.
Best of luck luck with the outcome, however way you choose.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 PM

Thanks guys - its encouraging to hear some success stories...
Old 08-15-2018, 02:35 PM

Make a BIG DEAL about the hospital's infection control protocols. You have to stress this early and often. My wife, an RN for over 30 years, got strep injected into her hip with a dye for imaging. She spent over a week in the hospital following emergency surgery to clean out the infection. She was in her early 50's at the time, and it took nearly a year to return to her active lifestyle.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:48 PM

As long as she gets up soon and follows the advice/regimen of a good physical therapist there is no reason it should not be successful. It is better to replace the hip than wait until it fails on its own. Plus the pain is excruciating.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 08-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Since you asked …….. Make sure that all her doctors are on board and know what see is doing and that she is taking all the meds that she should be taking as prescribed in the weeks before her operation.

My mom went in for a hip replacement last year and didn't make it out of the hospital. She had a PE. Her 90th birthday would have been Aug. 12th.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-15-2018, 09:46 PM

Default hippie

I had one a few years ago. took no pain meds though they sure wanted me to - I don't trust such meds, too much worry about addiction on my part. Expect to spend the best part of a week in the hospital. You can't do squat for about 3 weeks, then it gets better. 3 months and you'll be 95% there.

It was hard for me to sit up in bed. We had a hospital bed at home and I tied a rope to the end with knots in it and would haul myself upright by my arms. Did the trick, but hardly elegant. She will need a "gotcha", a gadget that will pick up things from the ground floor for her. Someone will need to stay with her for a couple or four weeks. there will be things she can't do for herself that she is used to doing. Be sure to do ALL the physical therapy that is recommended - I emphasize this.

I got mine at 67 and one of my concerns was what happens when the new hip fails. They don't last as long as the original and you cannot count on undergoing the procedure a second time. But sure your surgeon has done hundreds of these operations as practice makes perfect.

I had one setback that was deceptively simple, painful and it put me back 2-3 weeks. I would not have believed so little could cost so much had it happened to someone else. Still, it was good that I did the operation - I am backpacking and playing basketball again, but of course at a level commensurate with my age.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:03 AM

Had mine done a month ago. Direct frontal approach, no muscle cut. I think your mom may too old to qualify for that since it has higher risk of fracture during the procedure. Walked with the walker same evening. Gave up the walker and meds in a week. Used naproxen and a cane for another week. Did heavy Pt for 6 weeks before and lost 25 pounds. That all helped. Doing PT at home 2x daily. Going forward running and basketball are out, but I'll be able to walk the golf course again. Best of luck to your mom.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:59 AM

My aunt had back surgery at 80. She was reasonably fit for her age but afterward she was pretty much bedridden for over a year and regrets going through it. YMMV though.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:45 AM

Default Hip Surgery

My wife is 67 and a retired 42 year RN and just had the "Muscle sparing,"Total Hip replacement 3 &1/2 weeks ago. NSID's and Tylenol only as Opioids make her ill. Using one crutch and is getting around pretty well. According to the Surgeon,(Duke) the key is not doing too much even though you may feel like it. The danger zone, barring infection, is within the 1st 4 months and may take up to a year for total healing. Hope your Mom does well!
Old 08-16-2018, 07:48 AM

It's important to know the hospital's and doctor's competence in doing the procedure - how many replacements do they do a year? Better to travel further to get a place with more experience.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele