The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Douglas adams had the answer to most such questions :
Old 07-10-2018, 07:39 PM

In the past mankind believed that women were inferior.
We now know that the complete opposite is true.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:06 AM

As long as we're discussing stuff that we aren't sure of let's get back to our area, the solar system we inhabit. In the Milky Way (Our galaxy) our nearest star, the Sun, has about 6-7 seven planets circling it and we are all excited because there MIGHT have been ice on Mars a few billion years ago. Now we know there are more GALAXIES than there are grains of sand on Earth and they have found a couple Earth-like planets a couple million light years away. I'm sure there are a bunch of Earths out there and I've come up with the idea that we are heading out to one of them after our current stay here. This time I'm gonna study harder, color inside the lines and wait for the glue to dry on my model airplanes. Oh yeah, I'm gonna play the fiddle and mandolin too (I'm sick of dragging the stand-up bass around)!

If we get visited by some aliens, Steve Hawkings said it's best not to mess with them, it didn't work out too well for the Native Americans and Columbus.

Fog
Old 07-11-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
As long as we're discussing stuff that we aren't sure of let's get back to our area, the solar system we inhabit. In the Milky Way (Our galaxy) our nearest star, the Sun, has about 6-7 seven planets circling it and we are all excited because there MIGHT have been ice on Mars a few billion years ago. Now we know there are more GALAXIES than there are grains of sand on Earth and they have found a couple Earth-like planets a couple million light years away. I'm sure there are a bunch of Earths out there and I've come up with the idea that we are heading out to one of them after our current stay here. This time I'm gonna study harder, color inside the lines and wait for the glue to dry on my model airplanes. Oh yeah, I'm gonna play the fiddle and mandolin too (I'm sick of dragging the stand-up bass around)!

If we get visited by some aliens, Steve Hawkings said it's best not to mess with them, it didn't work out too well for the Native Americans and Columbus.

Fog

I've long thought that there are many intelligent civilizations "out there"...

I think that one sure sign of advanced intelligence would be if they're smart enough to not let us drop anchor on their planet after wasting ours...

I'm not joking...
Old 07-11-2018, 02:09 PM

An advanced civilization (of which there are many based on sheer probability) would scope us out from a safe distance and come nowhere near us. We are toxic sludge on two legs with a bad attitude. They probably have outfitted the solar system with a wander guard!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 07-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I've long thought that there are many intelligent civilizations "out there"...

I think that one sure sign of advanced intelligence would be if they're smart enough to not let us drop anchor on their planet after wasting ours...

I'm not joking...
The statistics of probability certainly would suggest a significant probability of a fairly high number intelligent beings and civilizations both more and less advanced
And yes no doubt if more advanced , not only likely they would not allow us to appropriate their planet but especially if more advanced, highly possible they would cloak their planet from our despoiling view . I am joking sort of

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-11-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post

Fog
6 to 7 planets in our Solar System? You might want to count again.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
6 to 7 planets in our Solar System? You might want to count again.
Maybe he is anticipating the same fate as Pluto for a few more

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Another factor to consider in the probability that a sufficiently advanced civilization would coincide with our timeline. We exist in a recent, minimal blip in earth's history.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 07-11-2018, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

The best theory I have yet heard explain why we are here...

Earth is a penal colony for the rest of the universe. The human look is really just prison garb. When we think about it, it makes sense to me. We humans do treat each other in similar manner to the way inmates threat each other as we hear tales of from within our own prisons.

So, be good and maybe you will get to back to wherever you came from, hoping it is better there than here. There are certainly a lot of stories passed down through the ages that suggest that possibility.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-11-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
An advanced civilization (of which there are many based on sheer probability) would scope us out from a safe distance and come nowhere near us. We are toxic sludge on two legs with a bad attitude. They probably have outfitted the solar system with a wander guard!

We're overdue....

gort.jpg
Old 07-11-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
In the past mankind believed that women were inferior.
We now know that the complete opposite is true.
Is that a scientifically proven fact in all cases?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic