The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-09-2018, 09:29 PM

Default An act of generousity

In 1982 when I first started playing, while on my lunch hour I sat at a picnic table in a park near where I worked and played the 4 songs I had learned at that point, Where Have all the Flowers Gone, Yellow Submarine, Michael Row your Boat Ashore and Both Sides Now. A guy with a guitar appeared from nowhere and asked me if I'd like to learn a song. I wasn't sure I could, I was using tabbed sheet music as it was. He taught me Dust in the Wind. I never saw him again but that single act of his bolstered my confidence and moved me along in a way I've never since experienced. I encourage all I can. I haven't played it in years but I think Americas' Horse with No Name has only two simple chords. I used to use it as a song to teach those who had never played. To see the look on their faces when they found they could play guitar was golden.

Gibson Dove
67 Fender Coronado mod
Old 08-10-2018, 05:07 PM

Love that story! I don't have one to match, but then I have taught guitar, often to rank beginners, in a youth music camp each summer for over 40 years. I know of a good number of these former students who are now using guitar to earn a living, and others who play in churches, schools, etc. Encouragement is a beautiful thing!

cotten
Old 08-10-2018, 05:22 PM

Starting with pulling on my guitar strings to make noise when he was about three to now, my grandson and I have shared over a dozen years of playing and learning. It's been the coolest gift I could ever give him...and me!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-15-2018, 01:41 PM

Great story, Brad!

Coincidentally, I was taking lessons from a guy back in the late 70's early 80's and he was teaching me how to travis pick Dust In The Wind. It opened up a whole new world for me, and I now use that song to teach others how to travis pick.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2001 View Post
...To see the look on their faces when they found they could play guitar was golden...
Having spent nearly my entire adult life as a teacher in both the public and private sector, there are few things greater than sharing another's joy, as you watch your own best efforts bear fruit...

Keep paying it forward, Brad - there's a whole new generation out there that needs role models like you...
Old 08-15-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Great story, Brad! We can all make a difference for someone.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I wasn't fishing. This reminiscence was brought about when I found a box of songbooks in my basement loaned to me way back in my first days of learning to play. The guy that loaned them to me basically got me laid off in the days of the recession (1982), he was just a few years older and wiser than I, an innocent. Back then, when I discovered that I hadn't returned his books, I thought, well... 36 years later of course time has healed me and all is behind. He still works there and I am going to return him his books, have a laugh and maybe even rekindle a fractured relationship, I did like him as he did me, but back then I guess it was every man for himself and I held the short end of the stick then, being younger and naive. They were great books though, Songs of Peace and Love, Greatest Hits of the Sixties, Complete Traffic, all sorts, they helped me just as Mel Bay and his book of 1000 chords did. We'll see how things go, even if nothing happens at all, it's all forgiven and forgotten, plus, it will give him a trip down memory lane just as it did me. Be well, peace.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-15-2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Removed profanities
Old 08-15-2018, 06:27 PM

It's great that you remember that moment. I had a similar moment when a classmate taught me how to play 2 Minutes to Midnight (Iron Maiden) back in the late '80s. We were on lunch break, didn't have any guitars, but he wrote the tab for me in the classroom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic