The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 08-05-2018, 08:10 PM

As far as I can tell, the guy has only been a positive force in music, I think one would do better to keep their negative opinions of him to themselves.

Frankly, I would be more than a little suspicious of anyone after hearing them poo poo Billy Strings. It's like if someone told me "I don't like reading" or "I don't like dolphins", it's best to just not mention that haha

Last edited by dmccrider; 08-08-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:13 PM

He's coming to the Walnut Valley Festival in September. Looking forward to seeing him.

( @ )===:::
Old 08-07-2018, 11:34 PM

Being completely honest Billy Strings playing and Mollie Tuttle's playing on her album Rise ( not to mention the great vocals ) has given this 60 year old a great new interest in the acoustic guitar . I personally find it fresh and inventive and if it makes me pick up my guitars for two hours a day after 51 years of playing that's really good in my book
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 08-19-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Come on up to the Hoxeyville Music Fest....Billy is playing Sat night and closing the Fest Sunday Night.
j

I was there Thursday and saw Lindsay Lou and the Flatbellys, then the clouds opened up some. Was there just for the day. I really enjoyed Lindsay’s powereful, beautiful voice and I thought her band was quite good also. Next year I hope to spend more than one day there. This was the 17th year the festival has been held, and I ,never heard of it. I’m down the road from you in Evart. Hope Billy is there next year.

Bill
Old 08-28-2018, 02:10 PM

Wink

A little research shows that Billy was raised on Bluegrass & Country. I have read that he enjoys all types of music. Most artist do, it seems.

Billy's playing style is that of a Bluegrass flatpicker, speed and more speed for most of his solo work. He also is the frontman for his band and it is his job to please the crowd. From all reports it seems he excels at his job.

I have found Billy and many of the newer performers we see today in Bluegrass are a breath of fresh air. Yes he can go a little over board but who among us hasn't? He seems to be keeping good company, see Molly Tuttle and Bryan Sutton.

Just the fact that he is generating interest in the music I love makes him OK with me.

I was recently visiting the Preston Thompson shop, Billy's guitar was in the shop for a tune up. It was offered to me for play and I took them up on it. A funny thing happened, the guitar sounded differently when I played, I wonder why?
Old 08-29-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA48 View Post
A little research shows that Billy was raised on Bluegrass & Country. I have read that he enjoys all types of music. Most artist do, it seems.

Billy's playing style is that of a Bluegrass flatpicker, speed and more speed for most of his solo work. He also is the frontman for his band and it is his job to please the crowd. From all reports it seems he excels at his job.

I have found Billy and many of the newer performers we see today in Bluegrass are a breath of fresh air. Yes he can go a little over board but who among us hasn't? He seems to be keeping good company, see Molly Tuttle and Bryan Sutton.

Just the fact that he is generating interest in the music I love makes him OK with me.
My thoughts exactly
Old 08-29-2018, 08:59 AM

There are metal shredders and bluegrass shredders. I like listening to both, even if it's over the top. I don't blame Billy for that, if I could play as fast and clean as he can I wouldn't mind to show it off.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:44 AM

Default overplaying? lol

I'm frankly perplexed at the overplaying idea of Billy here. Folks, this is why people like him and go see him live. This is why his music is fun and makes you want to crank his music and sing along at the top of your lungs. Most importantly, this is why he is different in an otherwise stiff genre. He is the reason I started an interest in bluegrass. He is the reason I bought a Thompson. If he were just another Tony Rice, he'd definitely not be as popular and not draw in new interest to bluegrass like Billy has. I'd say he's doing something right.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:41 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there is a U tube vid of Billy and Marcus King doing Merle Haggards Lonesome Fugitive . There is some fine picken' going on there.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:13 AM

Wow, I hadn’t seen this thread before. Yeah, some of the negative comments are pretty funny. Billy has done more for bluegrass, and probably acoustic guitar, than anybody I can think of in a decades! Someone even said “he’s not quite there yet”! Lol! Post a video of your last set so everyone knows what “being there” is.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:42 AM

I discovered Billy Strings on YouTube. The guy gets around and plays with other awesome musicians. He is like a breath of fresh air.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:04 AM

Strings has an abiding grounding and respect for traditional Bluegrass, learned in years of picking with his dad, a pro level guitarist. This is obvious when he plays a Mac Wiseman, or Monroe number or especially a Doc Watson tune. Watching him with Bryan Sutton on one of their Station Inn videos, they do a flawless cover of Norman Blake's Last Train From Poor Valley with Billy doing the singing. Bluegrass Unlimited did a story on him with a number of established stars all stating what a down to earth, respectful fellow he was, as well as a phenomenal picker. Del McCoury mentioned their first meeting, Billy was opening the show and asked him to sing one with his group. He chose a Stanleys number and absolutely nailed the tenor part.
Sure he pushes the envelope a bit for my personal taste, I would be content for him to do covers of traditional tunes, But I am closer in age to his grandfather and my years of contributing financially by attending festivals or even purchasing CDs are fast running out.
There is plenty to pick from in his performances, just enjoy the parts you enjoy and wish him well on what will be a long successful musical journey.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

He is a amazingly talented guitarist and i agree he just needs to settle down a bit. But man... he does have some incredible chops!

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 06-25-2020, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

I've also been slightly amused at some of the shade cast towards such a great young talent. He's got the chops and he's a kid, of course he will overplay! From what I've been told by folks who have met him, he is a down to earth and very nice young man. Let's just enjoy the ride of observing a great young talent enjoying the start of his career. As the old saying goes, if you can't say something nice then say nothing at all.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Humm very strange thread indeed. And strange because of some of the comments and nothing really to do with the artist mentioned .

We are in fact talking about "art" and the appreciation of it is totally subjective , not really objective in any sense.

There is no requirement to appreciate any art, or artist. And no reason one cannot, or should not, state negative subjective opinion, right along with positive. This is a forum of diverse personality and perspective, who's only commonality is appreciation of Acoustic Guitar, not a cult of genre, style, or artist specific, autobot's.

Personally I like him, and I agree he, et.al, are helping to continue to bring Bluegrass (style picking and chops ) to a broader audience. BUT in all fairness he is by no means first, alone, or even primary, in doing so, for example IMO he stands well in the shadow of the likes of Allison Krause and some others , in bringing Bluegrass-ish style music to the world.

That said :: I think not caring for his performance style and stating so, is as valid as not caring for some up and coming Rapper .

I mean if ones appreciation of him is so easily affected by someone else's,,, it is probably ones own perspective that needs some questioning and soul searching . Jusss sayin.

But then again I also like these folks and this psychedelic bluegrass performance.
BTW these folks started with a BG influenced variation style, and also predate Billy by a decade or so

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-26-2020 at 07:57 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN