The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-18-2021, 10:43 PM

Default Oud

Was curious if anyone plays the oud here? I am considering buying one.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:23 PM

Default Godin

I do not own or play one, but I have played a Godin Multi Oud at a local dealer once. Really nice instrument. If you plan to play live with amplification the Godin is a great way to go as I’ve heard they are not the easiest instrument to mic.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:03 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've never recorded an Oud, but I've recorded another Middle Eastern instrument, the "qanun," (Kha-NOON), for a movie score.

I used a pair of small-diaphragm condensers in coincident X-Y centered over the small, rectangular sound diaphragms on the left of the instrument and about two feet up.

This second shot shows that this is an Arabic qanun that is able, via the multiple, stacked, toggling bridge pieces to divide the octave into twenty-four tones. They can be toggled while playing. The player gets those unique infections by pushing down on the string behind the bridge.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-22-2021, 12:33 PM

I play oud, study a bit of maqam. Both Turkish and Arabic.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The player gets those unique infections by pushing down on the string behind the bridge.

Bob
“Infections” or “inflections?” Just curious!

whm
Old 07-25-2021, 08:13 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
“Infections” or “inflections?” Just curious!
whm
Typo. “inflections"

Bob

Old 07-29-2021, 10:30 AM

wow, thanks for your replies everybody, I did not expect any and have not checked this forum until now!

Bob - Interesting about the qanun. I have not heard of that instrument. The word, however, means "law" in a variety of languages - from arabic and urdu to albanian and turkish (and many more, I am sure.) Did you find it an easy transition? Moving from a western system of music to another one, I mean?

catt - may I ask if you are located/were-raised in a western culture? Curious as to what your experience was, if that is true. I was not raised in a western culture, but was raised with the idea that the western cultures are better than what is mine by heritage - so many of my experiences of life are rooted to a western perspective including my experience of making music. This is something I am now, at this age, innately prompted to address in various aspects of my life. And I find when I am noodling around on the guitar, I tend to play "scales" that are familiar to me from my childhood. Often, even though I am not a very good guitarist, folks are interested in the sounds I am making mostly because they are unfamiliar and, perhaps so, interesting.

That ramble aside, catt, may I ask what should one look out for, if anything, when buying an oud? And, much more importantly, if there are any learning resources you could recommend?

Thanks so much for all your responses. They are much appreciated.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
I do not own or play one, but I have played a Godin Multi Oud at a local dealer once. Really nice instrument. If you plan to play live with amplification the Godin is a great way to go as I’ve heard they are not the easiest instrument to mic.
Thanks so much for the heads up. I am not interested in amplification, however. I would imagine it would be better to acquire the traditional instrument over this one, that being the case - but I am not sure. How did you find it to sound when unplugged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
I've never recorded an Oud, but I've recorded another Middle Eastern instrument, the "qanun," (Kha-NOON), for a movie score.
PS -- Bob, I would love to hear the piece you recorded with the qanun, if you would not mind sharing

Last edited by SingingSparrow; 07-29-2021 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added note to Bob
Old 07-29-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post

catt - may I ask if you are located/were-raised in a western culture? Curious as to what your experience was, if that is true. I was not raised in a western culture, but was raised with the idea that the western cultures are better than what is mine by heritage - so many of my experiences of life are rooted to a western perspective including my experience of making music. This is something I am now, at this age, innately prompted to address in various aspects of my life. And I find when I am noodling around on the guitar, I tend to play "scales" that are familiar to me from my childhood. Often, even though I am not a very good guitarist, folks are interested in the sounds I am making mostly because they are unfamiliar and, perhaps so, interesting.

That ramble aside, catt, may I ask what should one look out for, if anything, when buying an oud? And, much more importantly, if there are any learning resources you could recommend?
Born in Cleveland, raised in Rock City (grew up playing Zepplin ) - but while still in my teens I was turned on to 1) Shakti, 2) Oregon, 3) jazz ... which opened my ear to things beyond.. I study/play a bunch of non-western things like trad Norsk, Gaelic harp, traditional Chinese music, Latin, etc.

Lots to consider when shopping for ouds. Probably best to purchase from reputable retailer that will accept returns to ensure that you receive an adequate learning instrument - with good functioning pegs, and proper action - the two most important aspects. (Lindley has recommended starting with an oud with guitar machines, which will eliminate the problem of insufficient peg-fitting on cheap factory instruments.)

Godin e-oud: I've never heard a clip of one that I liked the sound.

Best learning resources for me are on youtube and maqamworld - http://www.maqamworld.com/en/index.php
Old 07-29-2021, 11:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
Bob - Interesting about the qanun. I have not heard of that instrument. The word, however, means "law" in a variety of languages - from arabic and urdu to albanian and turkish (and many more, I am sure.) Did you find it an easy transition? Moving from a western system of music to another one, I mean?

PS -- Bob, I would love to hear the piece you recorded with the qanun, if you would not mind sharing
Hi! I'm a recording engineer/producer by trade. I've never played the qanun, but was asked to record it for a movie score. We recorded about three hours worth of various mood pieces that were to be condensed into a strong portion of the movie score. The musician brought it in played between twelve and 24 tone music. To be honest, because I studied music in college, composition, theory, and electronic music, it wasn't much of a transition for me. It was quite meditative. Unfortunately, the music belonged to the client. I was recently doing an inventory of our deep storage at the studio and came across the project so I still have access, but it is a copyrighted product that doesn't belong to me so I can't post it. Here is a sample of what it is capable. The solo begins at :13.

Like many other instruments it is capable of many moods. This example is up-tempo. It is also capable of slower and meditative music.

Bob

Old 07-30-2021, 10:50 AM

In no particular order:

That vid clip was great Bob Womack. I had not even heard that zither family instrument and the the two handed playing with the metal picks produced quite the amount of sound.

To SingingSparrow (OP). No I've never so much as even held a real oud, though I have heard them played.

However, I do use MIDI virtual instruments along with a MIDI pickup on my guitar to emulate a variety of non-western instruments. These don't immediately present the real instruments characteristic tunings or player experience, but they are a practical solution for my needs and limited skills.

Mediterranean and Middle-Eastern rhythms can be hard for some westerners to master (including me) but I find myself drawn somehow to some of the scales and my shallow understanding of some of the musical concepts.

The oud family instrument I have a particular fondness for is the pipa "The Chinese lute" which is actually a Middle-Eastern instrument brought to China and adopted there during the long-ago days of the Silk Road. I used to have a friend who in turn was connected with the family of an excellent Chinese pipa player, which allowed me to get some sense of what that instrument can do.

Here's an example of me playing the MIDI Pipa as part of my one-man-band version a famous English translation of a Chinese Poem by Li Bai.

The River Merchants Wife, a letter (will open a new tab window and play)

Do you have any oud pieces you've played to share here?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-30-2021, 12:47 PM

I've fooled around on one in the past (as well as sarod, a similar instrument).

As they are fretless, there is another level of skill you will need to develop that most guitarists will never encounter - precise intonation.

If you play fretless bass, slide guitar, or a violin family instrument, you are miles ahead. Otherwise there will be a lot of practice ahead to develop this.

An oud master to check out is Anouar Brahem.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-30-2021, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Singing Sparrow, I sent you a pm regarding a Godin Multi Oud I have you might be interested in. Thx, M.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:50 PM

Here's an estampie with a newly acquired Turkish oud. At the time I was playing Arabic, so I wasn't accustomed to the shorter scale. (Not a good recording nor effort, as someone rang at the front door and I was a tad distracted )

https://youtu.be/2YyWs10EQgg
Old 07-30-2021, 06:51 PM

Bob, thanks a lot for the video and the background. There is an oud being played in that video, as well. I have been watching some videos on youtube of the qanun. Some of the Armenian artists sound very nice. Thanks so much for the introduction.

Frank, Li Po was one of my favorite poets when I was younger. This is one of my favorite pieces of his (though I have not read much of him since I was in my twenties)

All the birds have flown up and gone
A lonely cloud floats leisurely by.
We never tire of looking at each other
Only the mountain and I.

Your recording was very nice, thanks for sharing. I am very familiar with Pound's poem/translation. I love the story/myth of Li Po's death where he is drunk and rowing across the river to get back home and was struck by the full moon and, being drunk, jumped into the river thinking he could hug the moon's reflection and drowned. Exhilarated the 20 year old me, certainly.

I have never played the oud myself. I listen to Hamza El Din quite often. His music (and voice) gives me a lot of peace. I am very fond this piece (and the entire album as well, I listen to it when walking or running on the beach here often) --

Gordon, thanks. I am very familiar with the sarod and grew up listening to it a lot in general. Actually, one couldn't really escape it. I enjoy listening to Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, although it has been a while since I last did. Brahem is interesting; certainly not a traditionalist. I will look for more of his stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

Mark - thanks, I replied to your PM.

Cat - thanks so much for sharing that! I sincerely and thoroughly enjoyed your recording! Where did you acquire the oud from? PS - and what melody are you playing? It sounds familiar. I have listened to it a few times now. Reminds of something familiar... thanks !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments