The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-24-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Winfred, you're overthinking this. It's not rocket surgery. Since no one is paying you to make music then you should do what makes you happy. If that means recording cover songs and posting them on Youtube then go ahead. But be aware that if you don't have a license to use the song then Youtube may take your video down and give you a demerit.

If you find your song writing is becoming more than a hobby then you really should have a talk with an intellectual property attorney. Even if you find the advice here to be helpful keep in mind that none of us here are lawyers.

Have fun!
Hi Al!

Thanks again for taking the time. I guess I will get a mechanical license, but not sure what that type of license is, different than copyright. I thought I'd post a cover song first as more people know a cover song than my own unknown original songs. Then I'm thinking if they like my cover song, and I do part into very different passages when I go into instrumental interludes where my own "soul" or "person" is very present, that just maybe they will be happy enough they might go from a cover song familiar to them, then on to listen to my original songs. I played one of my original songs first at an open mic just before the virus on March 8th and received a big applause. I was surprised the host said I could play a second song as all my originals are long. So I chose "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell, yet was not prepared, even more nervous, as usual sweating and trying to keep my hands and voice from shaking. At the end one lady even shouted over a big applause, "That's you! That's your own stamp on that!"

Another time, about a year ago, I started playing a cover, a favorite, "Don't Let Me Down" by the Beatles, yet my version. I forgot to announce the title of the song. I'd never seen it happen at an open mic, but about 30 seconds into the song a soft applause rose. I was shocked as it was like they already liked it! Again at the end a big applause, and it's happened that way with my covers (originals too) too, thus I think I have a chance on YouTube trying a cover first, a "known". For 2 yrs I usually at open mics tried out my own songs. So I think maybe listeners on YouTube will then hopefully tune into me, my soul or whatever, see hopefully a "doorway" and think it's worth clicking on my original songs.

From your experience, or anyone else's here, does my logic seem reasonable? I know too probably no one is going to click, or months later 10 hits on my cover and maybe 5 on my originals ha! I realize it's like a big ant hill. It happened 17 yrs ago with my solo acoustic piano CD's, with some I struck the right chord, others not at all, but I did sell close to 4,000 copies. With my guitar/vocals I just hope to "leave something behind" before I get a stroke, heart attack... whatever. It would be nice to sell some like a guy suggests, via CD Baby or one of those, Spotify. It's that, "...dizzy dancing way..."

Carpe Diem!
Winfred
Old 04-24-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Winfred, you're overthinking this. It's not rocket surgery. Since no one is paying you to make music then you should do what makes you happy. If that means recording cover songs and posting them on Youtube then go ahead. But be aware that if you don't have a license to use the song then Youtube may take your video down and give you a demerit.

If you find your song writing is becoming more than a hobby then you really should have a talk with an intellectual property attorney. Even if you find the advice here to be helpful keep in mind that none of us here are lawyers.

Have fun!
Hi Al!

Thanks very much for taking your precious time to respond and give such informed feedback. I think I'm going the route of the Zoom q8. That way I can pack my little wheeled suitcase with my condenser mics, stands, cables, desk lamp as my “lighting” ha, and late at night sneak down to the basement of the Senior high-rise I live in and record. Since the q8 is an all in one, at least I hope, I can video and then on my desktop in my apt I can do whatever to finalize it. Oh, I read some complaining it can take literally hours to upload a video into YouTube. Someone said buy an 80 speed memory card and it will go very fast. Did I remember that correctly? Do you know how to shorten the time it takes to upload into YouTube?

You mentioned “hobby” and level of seriousness about myself. Because of the manner people responded to my music the past 2 yrs at open mics... I have taken my own music more seriously. I'm still hesitant, as I think the open mic audience leans toward being more empathetic than the general public, thus this idea of YouTube, the mainstream test.

A seasoned musician came up to me when I was putting my guitar in the case just after I performed and wanted to see my lyrics. He was a musician, and with an actual following too as I had gone to one of his paid gigs. I had my lyrics on big pieces of cardboard because when I'm nervous I forget. I had said to the grand audience of 5 people (I think fewer people were there because 4th of July times) before I played the song that I had written it in a day. As he looked at my lyrics, he seemed too intense. "I take 2 and 3 years to write a song and you said you wrote this in a day?" It seemed like he didn't believe me. I just commented that I'm not really a musician, wrote hastily, and overall was surprised people seem to like my music. He then leaned in real close and still sounding unfriendly said, "But you are! You are a musician!"

Really when I wrote those lyrics I had a happy feeling, a “things are flowing hang on!”, feeling as I wrote it. It's a weird thing when I think of it. I don't see myself as one, but then I do at times more now. I don't think the “music industry” would ever take me seriously at 66 yrs old, plus I'm nothing to look at ha, so no “record label” there. I bought a Tascam DR-05 and will quick hum, whistle, or play guitar and record before I forget a melody as they come like a dream, day or night. I keep it sometimes at my bedside. By pushing buttons wrong I erased about 1 ½ yrs of tunes!

My solo piano music had of course no lyrics, and now with guitar I'm writing them. Over the years a lot of melodies would go through me. The title song on one of my albums I'd written when I was 19, hitchhiking and playing harmonica for a year all over Europe. I hadn't for some reason forgotten it some 30 years later. With piano I somehow feel like I should not be singing, maybe because pianos do everything.

At least with YouTube I can give it a try, test the real waters. I surmise that many ask you, but it's been bugging me, here goes... Are you any relation to Roy?

Carpe Diem!
Winfred

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
covid19, newbie, spotify, youtube, zoom 2qn 4k