The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-23-2018, 02:41 PM

Question Anyone ever modded a Pignose 7-100?

Now, I don't need an amp, but one of those little Pignose boxes sounds like it would be almost too much fun. GC has a couple of used ones cheap on their website and they'll ship store-to-store free, so it borderline sounds like a can't miss.

I've heard a lot of people say that the older 7-100s back in the 70s had a different circuit that worked better than the newer examples. So, I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a schematic from the older design and a parts list to build a circuit board with the older circuit on it to put in place of the modern circuit board.

Has anyone ever done that, or anything similar?

Last edited by WilliamTK1974; 01-23-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:59 PM

Yes, I'm sure it's possible, but then almost anything is possible if you have enough time and money to throw at it. I've built a tube amp from a kit and several preamps from schematic circuit designs. You need some solder skills if you're assembling SMT components. This board is 1" x 1 1/2".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP3482.jpg (42.7 KB, 39 views)
et al
Old 01-23-2018, 06:44 PM

I guess I was wondering if it's something I should consider. Whether it would be worth the effort and expense. Are the newer Pignoses all that different or all that bad?

I have enough soldering skills to build a small radio kit that worked when I was done.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTK1974 View Post
I guess I was wondering if it's something I should consider. Whether it would be worth the effort and expense. Are the newer Pignoses all that different or all that bad?

I have enough soldering skills to build a small radio kit that worked when I was done.
I think you might be getting caught up in 'mod' culture. I see this all the time, particularly with electric guitars - there's always the thought that 'if I just change this component, I can make this thing so much better'. Confirmation bias takes over, and all of a sudden, nothing original is quite good enough.

Pignoses are fun little amps. Buy one, enjoy it, and don't try to turn it into something it isn't.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-23-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I think you might be getting caught up in 'mod' culture. I see this all the time, particularly with electric guitars - there's always the thought that 'if I just change this component, I can make this thing so much better'. Confirmation bias takes over, and all of a sudden, nothing original is quite good enough.

Pignoses are fun little amps. Buy one, enjoy it, and don't try to turn it into something it isn't.
I agree,,,, Or buy it's bigger brother if you want a battery Piggy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
pignose