The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znerken View Post
What's the reason you stayed on acoustic?

I feel that buying an electric would steal precious time from my fingerstyle practicing, so I try so stay away. However, I want often want one.
I plead guilty but would change the word "often" to "sometimes." I sometimes get this crazy notion that the only thing keeping me from being a decent electric blues player is Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hours of practice. Unfortunately, the feeling passes long before the 10,000 hours do....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-03-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
I've got good news! You can fingerstyle on ANY guitar.
Nylon, electric, bass, ukulele, 12ers, any shape, any size, any guitar.
Chet Atkins, Mark Knopfler, Van Halen, Jimmie Page, and tens of thousands
fingerstyle electrics and sound awesome.

Fair point. Mark Knopfler is a brilliant electric fingerstyle player (I don't doubt the others are too).

I meant I only play fingerstyle on an acoustic because I like the sound, and the songs I am trying to learn are all fingerstyle played on an acoustic.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I'm an acoustic guy that scratched the itch for an electric. I bought a Les Paul Epiphone Traditional Pro, a Fender Blues Jr tube amp, a Tube Screamer, Xotic Effects SP Compressor Pedal and a Cry Baby Wah pedal. I can not warm up to the electric. I was so desperate to warm up to the electric that I upgraded the Fender Blues Jr with different tube, reverb and speaker. Still no love. Whenever I play the Les Paul, which isn't often, I play it clean through my mixer.
How about the LP straight into the BJ? Get that sounding 'right' first. If that doesn't work after some serious effort, maybe electric isn't for you. Or maybe you need a Tele. If things aren't working, those particular pedals aren't likely to help (IMO).
Old 08-03-2017, 12:56 PM

My playing improved a lot when I got my Tele. I really enjoy both, but I play my acoustic a lot more now. When I was in a cover band, I switched back and forth from electric to acoustic depending on what the song needed.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 08-03-2017, 01:36 PM

I am acoustic only. Not even amplified. I was both electric and acoustic for many a year but totally love electric. So though Id like an electric they all are gone.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:05 PM

I sold off my last electric, a 1958 Tele which I had played since the late 1960s, about 15 years ago. But I still straddle both words as I keep Dearmond 210 soundhole pickups on hand and still own a Gibson CF-100E, two Supro lap steels (a double and a single neck), and an early 1960s Standel amp.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I feel that buying an electric would steal precious time from my fingerstyle practicing, so I try so stay away. However, I want often want one.
I'd love to play electric as well. The technique is far different and so far when I've played electric, it sounds pretty unlike music. If anyone has link / tips to courses for acoustic players moving to electric, I'd be keen to see them.

I know one thing I need to work on is muting.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:

You can also play fingerstyle on an electric guitar, can't you?
Old 08-03-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
You can also play fingerstyle on an electric guitar, can't you?
Not the "fingerstyle" I refer to. Or, you can of course play it, but you don't get the sound I think/like of with fingerstyle.

If I were to buy an electric I would learn to use a plectrum. Nice to have in the bag of tricks.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:28 PM

Like many others, I play both. Although I have been playing only my acoustics for the past few months, I never know which direction the muse is going to take me, and I don't plan on getting rid of my Tele or ES335 (or my three tube amps) until I am no longer physically able to play--way too much fun!
Old 08-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
I'm probably about 50/50 acoustic versus electric playing time and I enjoy both. No need to have any hangups about electric guitars.
Right on man. I play both and enjoy both. Playing electric may even open some doors to one's acoustic playing, or at the very least add some spice to the occasional lull of the same thing everyday.

Acoustic is and will always be my first love, but I love my electrics too. When I play shows with the band I play electric half the time. Sometimes more.

For some who would like to try it out, go out and get a Squier Tele or Strat and a decent but inexpensive amp. There is no need to go all in with your first electric. Besides, some of the less expensive stuff being produced is pretty nice. I have an older Squier Tele and I really like it. It plays great and sounds good.

Playing electric is fun. If you are worried about enjoying it more than acoustic, well, maybe you should be playing electric.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I'd love to play electric as well. The technique is far different and so far when I've played electric, it sounds pretty unlike music. If anyone has link / tips to courses for acoustic players moving to electric, I'd be keen to see them.

I know one thing I need to work on is muting.
I'm not an instructor but I would think it is easier to transition from acoustic to electric than it would be to transition to acoustic from electric.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:38 PM

Can't imagine not having both an electric and acoustic. Totally different animals and tons of fun!
Old 08-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I
Quote:
Not the "fingerstyle" I refer to. Or, you can of course play it, but you don't get the sound I think/like of with fingerstyle.

If I were to buy an electric I would learn to use a plectrum. Nice to have in the bag of tricks.
I realize everyone's journey must be their own, and doing what you love is the way to go, but don't limit yourself to only one way of doing things. Force yourself to learn as many ways possible. It can only help in the long run.

I use picks, fingers, and picks combined with fingers. I'm not "the man" at any of it, but I can play several ways. In all my years I never considered limiting myself to only one style of play, or only one style of guitar.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaineIsCarter View Post
I have a lovely Tele and 335, and a Fender amp which is so full of charm and character and is physically tiny, but produces 15 watts of pure tube sound.

They haven't been used for ages. I'm only about learning fingerstyle these days. But I think I'll keep them anyway. You just never know.
Ha, I have the same two electrics Seems there's a lot of love among acoustic players for telecasters and 335s.

Here's my tele, made by talented luthier James Millman (based down in Devon):

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion