The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-11-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
...The 4 10" speakers didn't look too happy when it was cranked...What's even more amazing, however, is that I had all those amps in the first place - I am a bassist!
FWIW the last tweed Bassman was an open-back 4x10", designed to handle the output of the then-new split-pickup P-Bass, and although I'd be extremely reluctant to try it with a vintage Concert - for obvious reasons - I'm not above running any of my 4-strings through the low-gain Channel 1 input of my '65 Super Reverb RI; while lacking in the high-volume potential one associates with a conventional electric guitar through the same rig - at least if you're clinically sane and/or value your equipment - it has a really sweet all-tube tone that blends especially well with acoustic instruments. Might just try a 5751 in V1 and a pair of 7581A's at my next service visit - give it some more clean headroom/dynamic range and turn it into a true dual-purpose amp...
Old 12-11-2016, 11:33 PM

The Concert Amp had been updated, so it was a player, not a museum piece. It was made to use. The replacement drivers in it were (still valued, I believe) Mojotone versions of the P10Q, necessary caps and other relevant components were replaced, etc. It actually sounded great with my Rickenbackers at "home" volume levels when jamming with friends, and was amazing sounding when I ran it through one of my custom LDS cabinets, the largest being a 2-12 +6.5 mid driver cabinet Don built for me. It had a pair of Eminence 3012LF drivers and an 18Sound mid. ungodly bottom end on those old Fenders, even my old early '70s Princeton Reverb Amp sounded great into that same LDS cabinet, just didn't get as loud, but loud enough to gig with.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:54 AM

Sweet!!! You're all set for the next 47 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Wow some amazing amp collections

As per the other thread I am just starting back into electric guitar after 47 years

So this is my starter kit
Supro Titan 1X10 and 50 watt combo and 1X12 extension Cab
PRS 24 CE

Currently set up in the great room with my PA system

<<snippet pic>>
Old 12-12-2016, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

I speak a little bit of electric.

2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 12-12-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post

I'd say you got the Fender sound down.

What model Redplate is that? Or are my eyes no good?
Old 12-12-2016, 02:36 PM

Here is a photo of my old Concert Amp:

Old 12-12-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
The Concert Amp had been updated, so it was a player, not a museum piece. It was made to use. The replacement drivers in it were (still valued, I believe) Mojotone versions of the P10Q, necessary caps and other relevant components were replaced, etc. It actually sounded great with my Rickenbackers at "home" volume levels when jamming with friends, and was amazing sounding when I ran it through one of my custom LDS cabinets, the largest being a 2-12 +6.5 mid driver cabinet Don built for me. It had a pair of Eminence 3012LF drivers and an 18Sound mid. ungodly bottom end on those old Fenders, even my old early '70s Princeton Reverb Amp sounded great into that same LDS cabinet, just didn't get as loud, but loud enough to gig with.
Wish I'd heard it. Those old concerts don't get as much attention as the Deluxe Reverbs but had some amazing tone. I heard one once and I thought the price was too much. Looking back.... well I'd pay it now.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Not much to look at compared with some of the offerings so far, but it's all mine, and it suits me just fine

Egnater Tweaker 15 + Blackstar 1x12 (Celestion) cab on the left, Vox Pathfinder 15R on the right. I usually run both at the same time - the Vox is set clean with some reverb, and all the effects on the floor go to the Egnater. It sounds huge in my little basement office. This is all 90 degrees from my desk.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Funny, my first amp looked a lot like your middle picture. I stole it from a '50's (I think) vintage record player cabinet [Stromberg Carlson! Finally remembered the brand name], along with the two speakers, and remounted everything in a painted plywood box I made. The box didn't last long, neither did the speakers, so eventually it became a special-purpose naked amp that sat on top of my proper guitar amp and used it's speakers. Sounded good on 10, but pretty mid-rangy. I'm lucky I never electrocuted myself with that thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
I've downsized to a couple of odd balls: circa 50's se6L6 recordplayer conversion and 1949 boat anchor pp6v6 monoblock. Often used with the board to set up as dual mono w/d rig that uses a variety of cabs (depending on rattling the house or whisper bedroom...from a set of 5, 8, 10 to 12" ceramic and alnicos but my fav is a diy over-sized cab.

'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear

Last edited by JeffreyAK; 12-12-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:48 PM

My main amp is an Excelsior with an Eminence 1518 - nice big sound
sorry for the lousy pic - I've also got a Trace Elliot TA-30 for transducer guitars and a Fender Champion 110 with a WGS Veteran in it for carrying around.

Not too fancy but plenty good enough for my garage
Old 12-13-2016, 09:52 AM

Puerto Player - Wow!!! Looks like you're ready to contribute a few pages to the next edition of this book (source: amazon.ca):

Quote:

<<snippet 1st pic>>
Old 12-13-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Here is a photo of my old Concert Amp:

I am not seeing a pic here???

---

Puerto... :O

Wow what a nice wall of sound that is.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:05 AM

Here are (most) of mine. Except for the Acus, I built them all. Missing are a tweed Pro (which I use most of the time) and a 2x12 cab loaded with Blues. Other than the Pro, I most often use the single-channel DR (blonde/oxblood, behind the blond/wheat Twin head).

steven
Old 12-19-2016, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
I'd say you got the Fender sound down.

What model Redplate is that? Or are my eyes no good?
Yep, good eye, Magic Dust Duo

You know, all the Fenders sound great, the Vibroverb was probably the best all-around, but honestly not by much. A good blackface Super Reverb with jensen C10n's or C10P's or a mix of the two, is probably the most versatile amp of the bunch. It will do almost anything and can be adjusted to sound like all of them. I love playing with a clean tone, so I always gravitate towards cleaner amps, the Red Plate has an excellent clean tone tone but I don't think anything compares to the clean of a Bruno Cowtipper, that's what sitting where the MDD is now and the MDD is upstairs in our Living Room on a Bob Burt pine cabinet.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 12-19-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Yep, good eye, Magic Dust Duo

You know, all the Fenders sound great, the Vibroverb was probably the best all-around, but honestly not by much. A good blackface Super Reverb with jensen C10n's or C10P's or a mix of the two, is probably the most versatile amp of the bunch. It will do almost anything and can be adjusted to sound like all of them. I love playing with a clean tone, so I always gravitate towards cleaner amps, the Red Plate has an excellent clean tone tone but I don't think anything compares to the clean of a Bruno Cowtipper, that's what sitting where the MDD is now and the MDD is upstairs in our Living Room on a Bob Burt pine cabinet.
I visited the Redplate factory and had them make me a Tweedyverb to take overseas. They really nail the Fender clean IMO. And as you can see from my photos I love Fender too. I have not heard a Bruno Cowtipper. I did own a Vibroverb and it was wonderful. Only Super I had was a reissue and I liked it a lot. Hard to believe the older ones might be better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars