The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

View Poll Results: Harp Guitar: Pointless or World of difference?
Pointless 23 19.33%
World of difference 57 47.90%
dont care 6 strings is enough 39 32.77%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2012, 01:32 PM

When I first posted a shot of the HG with the harp body on it in the MIMF, somebody brought up the '$100 Case Challenge'. One suggestion was to gut an old VW....
Old 01-17-2012, 01:48 PM

Thanks for that link Keith, I did not see that site in me searches!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
When I first posted a shot of the HG with the harp body on it in the MIMF, somebody brought up the '$100 Case Challenge'. One suggestion was to gut an old VW....
A VW Bus maybe, not a Beetle, right?

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:07 PM

I took the harp guitar plunge a little over a year ago. It had been on my guitar bucket list since I saw Michael Hedges in concert. It' s been interesting to say the least, but I'm enjoying it.

Mike

Michael Hedges
Old 11-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have skimmed but not read this entire thread and I didn't vote but I think what makes harp guitars have a world of difference is if you know how to manage the subs. Being able to play them as well as mute them maximizes what the harp guitar is capable of. I also agree with what Al Carruth mentioned about harp guitars and steel strings. Nylon allows for more nuances in the tonal palette and adds to what makes the harp guitar unique. Having said that, I love hearing steel string harp guitars being played.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-03-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I think the fun part would have been taking it to your nearest Guitar Center store and asking:

"Hey, you guys have a CASE that will fit this guitar?!?"

whm
Did that with my Noble harp guitar. (Yeah, some crazy looks ensued.) Came away with a Gator keyboard case which I then went to work on, on the inside. I'll post a pic later.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster

Last edited by jay7347; 11-03-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks, Wade. I will check it out.

Note: Ah, a post from 2011! Well, better late than never.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-03-2016, 05:35 PM

Here is one of my harp guitars, Carlo Bartolini is explaining different aspects of the guitar, at about the 2min mark he goes into some of the difference between mine and most others, not that there's anything wrong with others, you just can't strum them to much....With mine, because the harp set below the guitar set is set up with dual strings like a 12 string, one can tune them in unison, in intervals and can arpeggiate them or strum them. The recording is kinda not that great but you get an idea... I use it uite different than Carlo in that I will tune the harp set in unisions into a chord and then use it for playing polychords which I like because you can play the same say 3 chords on the guitar, then next time round add the harp part in and get very different harmonys with whatever you may have been singing before....The guitar was well thought out so you could play easily add the harp or bass when you want it, or not if you don't ....Carlo has this tuned super low, bflat open tuning I think so keep that in mind.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
Did that with my Noble harp guitar. (Yeah, some crazy looks ensued.) Came away with a Gator keyboard case which I then went to work on, on the inside. I'll post a pic later.

-jay
I'd love to see how you did this and how it worked out.
I am in the process of building myself a hollow-arm harp guitar, and the case is a bridge I will have to cross when I get there.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:14 PM

Default Harp Guitars

Finger come on.
You are correct in thinking that a few extra strings are OK, but are they necessary?
If you look at the first African Guitar/lute/ gourd backed thing/sort of instrument and listern to one being played ( look it up) you will if you are a musician be stunned by the tone and skill needed to play these when GOD was a boy.
So, Finger, always embrace a acoustic instrument, listen to everything you can and when you have done that you will be able to make a useful judgement
In the meantime just play, get better and your life will cjnage
Stephen--- now older than most!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerFlicker View Post
I have seen some awesome work on a harp guitar, but what's to say the same thing couldn't of been done on a 6 string. I guess sometimes one can benefit from those added 5 bass notes i just dont think having a whole guitar based on them is really that essential. To each his own i guess.
On the other side of things a nice bassy drone note ringing in the background would give a song that nice full sound hmmmmmmmmm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar