The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 11:51 PM

Post General Gotoh Tuner Questions

Hi all, long time lurker here! Just have a few questions that I think is best asked and answered here.

So some background info, I have a Yamaha AC3R that Im planning to buy some gold gotoh tuners for.

1) Im deciding between a regular post and the ones with the HAP upgrade. Given I have an acoustic, I dont really feel the need to get the magnum or HAPM ones. Any opinions on whether being able to adjust the angle of the string from the pegs to the nut is beneficial? In general, I know that a steeper angle will generate more pressure and this is usually a plus, but is there any other effects?

2) This one's for the other yamaha owners who may have also changed out their stock tuners for gotohs. Basically, is it a perfect fit when you did do this? AKA no drilling extra holes?
Im almost certain most of the yammies currently all have the same chrome kidney bean shaped tuners with a mounting screw in the 6o clock position, and have a 10mm headstock holes. Ill be getting the SGV510z models which have the mounting screw at the 6o clock positiion

3) finally, just any good cheap places to order them?
Ive scoured many places and sites, and the cheapest one Ive found for gold standard ones are $130CAD ($95USD) including taxes and shipping.

Thanks all!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:00 AM

Oh and the lowest price I've found was with Josh Gemmell from Japararts.ca
Old 04-26-2017, 07:23 PM

You listed the same source I use. I put an 18:1 Cosmo Black set on my FG800. Fit was perfect. Also bought their matching strap buttons.
Last pic shows the 21:1 510's with the hap and locking functions on my Jake Robinson Brazilian. Minor advantage in being able to adjust for more string break angle at the nut on the headstock. I obsessed with getting the best of everything on my Jake Robinson. I personally wouldn't spend the extra on my Yamaha, but you have a much nicer model than I have.

Last edited by j.blay; 04-26-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:48 PM

Who is General Gotoh Tuner?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 04-27-2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.blay View Post
You listed the same source I use. I put an 18:1 Cosmo Black set on my FG800. Fit was perfect. Also bought their matching strap buttons.
Last pic shows the 21:1 510's with the hap and locking functions on my Jake Robinson Brazilian. Minor advantage in being able to adjust for more string break angle at the nut on the headstock. I obsessed with getting the best of everything on my Jake Robinson. I personally wouldn't spend the extra on my Yamaha, but you have a much nicer model than I have.

That's the kind of feedback and opinion I was looking for, thanks!
Old 04-27-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Who is General Gotoh Tuner?
.some say he is the finest tuner and is very precise in his work. His elegant appearance makes those that follow him even better

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gotoh, tuning keys, tuning machine, yamaha