The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
Shades of Blue, take a moment to come to your senses.

"I'm thinking about selling the J-45 for the 717."

"I think the J-45 is going up for sale soon."

This may be regrettable sacrilege on the highest order!!

"I doubt I can really bring myself to sell the J-45, but I really did enjoy the 717."

Breathe, just breathe.

This insanity will pass.

Yeah lol maybe.

The bad thing is I enjoyed the rounded edges and neck a bit more than I thought. Just need to breathe lol.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

I just got back from playing at church. Because my J-45 is in the shop, I took my OM/PW today. It's an awesome guitar, super resonant and very loud, but I have used my J-45 for church duty for years and miss not having it in the house.

There is nothing else that sounds like a J-45. NOTHING

Be very careful before selling it is my point.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 05-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I just got back from playing at church. Because my J-45 is in the shop, I took my OM/PW today. It's an awesome guitar, super resonant and very loud, but I have used my J-45 for church duty for years and miss not having it in the house.

There is nothing else that sounds like a J-45. NOTHING

Be very careful before selling it is my point.

Yeah you are 100% right. I need to get the Retros off of it before I do something stupid. Honestly, I’ve had the fortune of having almost unlimited free time this weekend to play guitar. The D-18 is the clear winner. It’s a beast and sounds superb. The J-45 is second and the 000-18 hasn’t gotten much attention this weekend. Sounds good but not on the same level as the J-45 and D-18.

I shouldn’t have played the 717. I thought it would confirm my “negativity” towards V Bracing, but I honestly quite liked the tone. I’ve been searching for a DADGAD guitar and it excelled.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:48 PM

Okay, I'll write another post based on actual playing.

I have been in a massive liquidation mode for two years.
I won't reveal specific numbers, but I've reduced my collection by about 75%, and still have many guitars (plural) to choose from.

I'm now down to the hard choices.
Recently I pulled out my BIG guitars.. HD-28, D-18, J-45 and my 1988 Martin J-65M, which is a Jumbo Maple/Sitka that I bought new.

Let me point out that I'm a "Martin Guy", but in a back-to-back weeding out/playing session over a couple days,
the two Martin D's got the axe.
They are now at my local store hanging on the consignment wall.

So yesterday, while I was there to drop off yet another (lesser) guitar, I had opportunity to play both a 517 and 717 Taylor Grand Pacific.
And I was able to play them alongside my ..yes MY.. HD-28 and D-18.

Although the Mahogany Taylor was my clear preference over the Rosewood, neither.. that's right neither.. led me to want one.

I was glad to go home and play my Gibson J-45.
And yes, the Taylors were very nice and I applaud them for their innovative approach and inventive ideas.
I simply don't want to pull money out of my pocket to have one.

And before anyone blasts me for brand bias, remember that I'm the Martin guy who prefers his J-45 to his D-18.

Bottom line-- Play whatchawant, but don't sell that Gibson.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Okay, I'll write another post based on actual playing.

I have been in a massive liquidation mode for two years.
I won't reveal specific numbers, but I've reduced my collection by about 75%, and still have many guitars (plural) to choose from.

I'm now down to the hard choices.
Recently I pulled out my BIG guitars.. HD-28, D-18, J-45 and my 1988 Martin J-65M, which is a Jumbo Maple/Sitka that I bought new.

Let me point out that I'm a "Martin Guy", but in a back-to-back weeding out/playing session over a couple days,
the two Martin D's got the axe.
They are now at my local store hanging on the consignment wall.

So yesterday, while I was there to drop off yet another (lesser) guitar, I had opportunity to play both a 517 and 717 Taylor Grand Pacific.
And I was able to play them alongside my ..yes MY.. HD-28 and D-18.

Although the Mahogany Taylor was my clear preference over the Rosewood, neither.. that's right neither.. led me to want one.

I was glad to go home and play my Gibson J-45.
And yes, the Taylors were very nice and I applaud them for their innovative approach and inventive ideas.
I simply don't want to pull money out of my pocket to have one.

And before anyone blasts me for brand bias, remember that I'm the Martin guy who prefers his J-45 to his D-18.

Bottom line-- Play whatchawant, but don't sell that Gibson.

This is great! Thanks!

I’m going to try a few more and see how I feel as time goes on. The guitar was comfortable for sure, and that is how Taylor sucks me in every time.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

I've had my 717 BE for about a month now. It is opening up and has become my No 1 player. It is definitely the best playing acoustic that I have, and has given me cause tor reduce the number of guitar I currently own, including one I thought I would never get rid of.

For comparison purposes, I've got a couple of D-18's (a 1947 and a 2015), a Collings D2HA-T, and a Bob Thompson Lutz over Hog dread. The 717 is a good as any of them.

Still trying different strings. While the Elixers do sound just fine, I'm not a fan of how slick they feel. Tried some Martin Retros, and they did nothing for the guitar. I current have D'Addario EJ17's on the guitar and am about to try some JP Mediums or New Mediums.

D
Old 05-05-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
I've had my 717 BE for about a month now. It is opening up and has become my No 1 player. It is definitely the best playing acoustic that I have, and has given me cause tor reduce the number of guitar I currently own, including one I thought I would never get rid of.

For comparison purposes, I've got a couple of D-18's (a 1947 and a 2015), a Collings D2HA-T, and a Bob Thompson Lutz over Hog dread. The 717 is a good as any of them.

Still trying different strings. While the Elixers do sound just fine, I'm not a fan of how slick they feel. Tried some Martin Retros, and they did nothing for the guitar. I current have D'Addario EJ17's on the guitar and am about to try some JP Mediums or New Mediums.

D

This doesn’t help my GAS!!!

I’m probably just gonna buy a freakin 717!
Old 05-05-2019, 06:11 PM

As I warned in another topic don’t try a 717 because you’ll bring it home. The 717 has the ability to convert Martin owners to buy a Taylor!
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-05-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
As I warned in another topic don’t try a 717 because you’ll bring it home. The 717 has the ability to convert Martin owners to buy a Taylor!

It’s gonna happen...
Old 05-05-2019, 06:31 PM

In this video, Andy explains why he built the Grand Pacific.
It appears that he was looking to get the sound of an old Gibson Slope Shoulder guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojzF8YkhtDQ
Old 05-06-2019, 08:25 AM

If it were me, I’d probably let go of one of the Martins rather than the J-45 if I was dead set on replacing one of those guitars with a Taylor 717.

I was able to hear and play the 517 and 717 several weeks before they were announced at NAMM — very nice guitars. I too preferred the rosewood in that model even though I typically favor mahogany.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't that make you a Gibson guy?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
Wouldn't that make you a Gibson guy?
I was thinking that, but I know what he means. Every now and then you find a guitar that surprises you from another brand. I guess for right now, that guitar to me is the Grand Pacific.

I've stepped back and gathered myself for now, but I'm going to keep a 717 on the back burner. I'm going to call around and get some pricing because if I can't at least get a similar discount to what Martins go for, it is out of the question.

Hopefully you can't get good discounts on Taylor and I'm saved by the price lol.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:43 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I was thinking that, but I know what he means. Every now and then you find a guitar that surprises you from another brand. I guess for right now, that guitar to me is the Grand Pacific.

I've stepped back and gathered myself for now, but I'm going to keep a 717 on the back burner. I'm going to call around and get some pricing because if I can't at least get a similar discount to what Martins go for, it is out of the question.

Hopefully you can't get good discounts on Taylor and I'm saved by the price lol.
FYI: I’ve typically got the same discount on highend Taylors as on Martins from our AGF sponsors.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 05-06-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I’ve played close to 10 of them. I’ve been very hopeful that they would fit my ear because they fit my eye and hands very well. Also they have my favorite pickup ES2. Alas, as a Martin fan, the tone is not for me. I was surprised by how much the tone was not for me.
Yet, you still played 10? Kudos to you and your patience. I probably would have stopped at 2, LOL

Seriously, though, I'm reading these posts with great interest, as I have not had a chance to see or play a GP in person yet.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion