The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 01:46 PM

So many excellent songs...Why should I select one : just to be unfair with the others ? That's not a rock attitude : everyone should think about the reasons why humans keep having to select something or someone to be best : that's what rock is all about, to defeat that need I reckon...Groups, people having their share, playing together, writing together and so on...

I could only select one moment in their career ; when they have become more mature and better musicians...(between others possibly, Sgt. Pepper, Double White Album and Abbey Road)...Except maybe for your little sister's parties...

Keep Rocking Alive !
Old 07-07-2019, 02:20 PM

I am old enough to have watched them as a nine year old on those unforgettable three Sunday nights in a row on the Ed Sullivan Show, and immediately wanted a "Beatles haircut" but my parents didn't like the idea. I know the entire catalogue of their music is fabulous but, for me, they kind of lost me at Sargent Peppers. Don't jump all over me, that's just me and my tastes. I like the early stuff. So if I can only pick one it would be Please Please Me... the whole album! To this day I think that album is just phenomenal. The originals are great; the covers are great. Just good ol' early Beatles vibe.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:09 PM

Hide your love away
Old 07-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

It's got to be The End which to me is a somewhat tearful goodbye from The Fab Four....

Oh yeah, all right
Are you going to be in my dreams
Tonight?

And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-08-2019, 02:28 PM

Default Across The Universe

cause nothins gonna change my world!!!
Old 07-08-2019, 02:37 PM

Hope this doesn't get me banned from the forum but does anyone remember when folks where predicting that the New Kids on the Block were going to be the next Beatles?
Old 07-08-2019, 03:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
Hope this doesn't get me banned from the forum but does anyone remember when folks where predicting that the New Kids on the Block were going to be the next Beatles?
Pat, you shoulda checked around. That's an AUTOMATIC ban!

Your Faithful OP
Old 07-08-2019, 03:10 PM

I can't pick a favorite. It's not possible.
Unless you were from that generation (I was 13 when the Beatles first record hit the U.S.), it is virtually impossible to understand or explain the profound effect they had both musically and otherwise when they came on the scene.
The Beatles were literally in front of everything and everyone in popular music for almost ten years. Artists came and went. A few have remained from that era but none can even come close to them musically, not even remotely. They did complex three part harmonies that everybody tried to duplicate.You got your bands with signature songs and some with more than one. The Beatles had dozens and dozens of signature songs and that's being very frugal in description.
For a stretch in time, people actually held their collective breath in anticipation of what the Beatles would do next and they never let us down.
Their creativity was unmatched, they did everything and they did it first...they were a phenomenon, still are.
My favorite Beatles song...are you kidding?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
Being an old fart, funny how we can remember little stuff like that from a half century ago!
Man, a half century ago is the only stuff I can remember! What did I have for breakfast today? Did I even eat breakfast today????
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-08-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

And I Love Her
Old 07-08-2019, 04:16 PM

I pick... the entire Sergeant Pepper's album.

Asking for only one favorite Beatles song is like asking a parent who his favorite child is.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-08-2019, 05:07 PM

"In My Life"...…..
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-08-2019, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Wow - post number 312?

Who are these be-atles anyway?

I remember hearing LOve me do playred on a Dansette at the school Friday dance and thinking, "these guys could be good" (really).

My favourite was "A Day in the Life. for reasons already stated, but also because Sgt Pepper was the first Beatles album I bought, on the release day, in order to impress Jackie Millett, before her boyfriend could !! Haha, and it worked ! (further details on application only).

I do think that Sgt, Pepper was a "tour-de-force", and a "zeitgeist" of that era.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

300-post limit has been reached.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion