The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 01:28 PM

I like them a lot on my OM-28 and 0-18. But, I also like DR Sunbeams and just put a set of D'Addario EJ19s on the 0-18 that I'm enjoying right now.

The Santa Cruz strings last longer than most and sound wonderful. I also like the Straight Up string version which appears similar, but not quite the same.

But, the other ones mentioned above sound pretty good too. So, I wouldn't spend the money unless you just want to try them out or you aren't liking readily available strings. Then, you have to decide whether you want the low tension or medium tension SCGC strings.

Last edited by Hoyt; 11-16-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

I tried a couple sets of the low tension on my Collings OM2H Madi/German Cutaway. I wanted to achieve a looser tension and I felt they succeed in that regard. I liked them. (Until I switched back) Then I realized they are a bit mellow with lesser detail. I switched back to a new set of Elixir NanoWeb PB's while the SCGC strings were only a couple weeks old. Switched them our on my Collings OM2HC Madi/German and the guitar came to life (IMO). Once I went back to Elixir Nanoweb PB's I felt the guitar became more dimensional with more sparkle and harmonic presence. (Hard to describe)

I still have at least one new set of SCGC low tension strings that I might try on a different guitar. Dunno. I'm typically standardized on Elixir Nanoweb PB's or John Pierce as my Go-To strings. But now that I have a Martin OMC-18E, I have a set of Lifespans on that guitar and they sound good too.

Hmmm. Guess I'm all over the map. But overall, I like the SCGC strings but I am more inclined to stick with Elixir's or John Pierce PB's for non coated.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 11-16-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I'm about ready to click "buy" today. Would you be willing to post a few more thoughts about why you feel this way about these strings? What style of music do you play?
I am a finger picker. Honestly, I liked nothing about them. They felt rough under my fingers. They sounded on the dead side. They felt more stiff rather than less.

Other than that, they were fine. : )

Oh, except they cost $20.

Steve
Old 11-16-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
I like them a lot on my OM-28 and 0-18. But, I also like DR Sunbeams and just put a set of D'Addario EJ19s on the 0-18 that I'm enjoying right now.

The Santa Cruz strings last longer than most and sound wonderful. I also like the Straight Up string version which appears similar, but not quite the same. ...Then, you have to decide whether you want the low tension or medium tension SCGC strings.
I've been a user of Straight Up Strings for a couple months and LOVE them on my Taylor guitars. I've done a bit of research and the only difference I can come up with is that the Santa Cruz strings are identical to the Straight Up Strings- except they are coated. I buy the SUS strings in 6 set quanitity so I get them for about $8.25/set plus $5 shipping. SCGC strings are $18. Compared to Elixirs (which I think are outrageously overpriced) they even more expensive. I can make SUS strings go almost to 6 weeks, as long or longer than Elixirs. IMO if you have non-acidic hands and generally use non-coated strings don't waste your money on the SCGC. Also, the medium tension feels like about a 11.5 gauge because of the balance. The feel of the tension is similar to the aformentioned DR Sunbeam 12's.

Hoyt mentioned the DR Sunbeams, and yes they are wonderful strings on the right guitar. I use them exclusively (12-54) on my 1972 Martin D35. They make that guitar roar, but weren't quite as impressive on my Taylor 614ce. I've also tried the EJ19's on a couple guitars and they're ok, but nothing special. My experience with D'Addario is that they don't last nearly as long as other strings. The one set of D'Addarios that I like a lot are their Nickel Bronze strings. I find that they have a very defined sound and can be terrific on some guitars.

But getting back tot he Santa Cruz Strings. I believe that they can really help some guitars- but one set with shipping will cost you $22. SUS one set will cost you about $15, but are much cheaper in quan If you like the SUS strings you can determine if they last long enough for you then see if you think it's worth going for the SCGC strings for the coating (and the additional cost).

Edit: Here is a blurb from the SCGC string page:
"Strings require precise core to wrap ratios and precision fit and finish for unprecedented tolerances of one half of one thousandths of an inch. This accurately determines the tension/volume of each string to the exact EQ that your guitar was designed for. State of the art metallurgy and micro-coating assures long life by preventing corrosive moisture from contacting the core of these nickel and lead free strings."

Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 11-16-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy the SCGC strings quite a bit. I've used them on many different guitars (both low and medium tension) and currently have them on four guitars.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I've been a user of Straight Up Strings for a couple months and LOVE them on my Taylor guitars. I've done a bit of research and the only difference I can come up with is that the Santa Cruz strings are identical to the Straight Up Strings- except they are coated.
Good luck.
I have both SUP strings and SC strings and like them both. I am waiting to see if the SUP strings last as long. Need to keep them on a few more months to find out.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:45 PM

I use the low tension Santa Cruz Parabolics on my Waterloo Deluxe and my H&D Custom 00. They're great for those two guitars, both are 12 fret guitars.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:54 PM

I tried a set of the low tension Santa Cruz strings a couple of years ago. I was extremely disappointed. While I appreciated the lower tension, the strings sounded noticeably lower in volume. In fact, my experience was that they were the lowest volume string I had ever used (that remains true today). Took them off after one week. Maybe I got a bad set? I don't know, but won't take the risk again.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:05 PM

They don't sound very good on my Dreads but on the 12 fret guitars they shine.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 PM

I'm not an idiot, but I still wonder what the point is for low tension strings. My guitars are all built (braced, topped, necked) around standard tension strings, and even my playing has developed around the feel of standard tension. I understand that lower tension might make physical sense for a guitar that is extremely lightly braced, or bellying, etc., but fr a sound, well-designed guitar, I don't get it. I'm not surprised that many users report a softer, warmer sound. This product sounds to me more like something makers love because it reduces that possibility of warranty claims when a top bulges. I must be missing something.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
With shipping they are about $25. I was ok with $18, but shipping knocks them out. I'll stick with JPs I guess...
Reverb (Chicago Music Exchange) sells them with no added shipping charge.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post

The Santa Cruz strings last longer than most and sound wonderful. I also like the Straight Up string version which appears similar, but not quite the same.

But, the other ones mentioned above sound pretty good too. So, I wouldn't spend the money unless you just want to try them out or you aren't liking readily available strings. Then, you have to decide whether you want the low tension or medium tension SCGC strings.
That's surprising to me, perhaps because I use the mid-tension SCGC strings and tried the 12 ga. Sunbeams. SCGC strings sounded much better, especially the bass notes. The mid-tension Santa Cruz parabolic are only 163 lbs. (if the online posts I've read are correct). D'Addario lights are 159 lbs., and the SCGC light was 147 lbs.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:44 PM

Anyone tried these on a 12 fret?

I'm wondering if the low tension would be too floppy, especially when down tuned? Would mid tension choke the top too much or would the be the bees knees? I'm thinking of trying them on a RainSong, a very responsive top with no braces, so I'm not concerned about whether the low tension will drive the top.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
They don't sound very good on my Dreads but on the 12 fret guitars they shine.
Uhhhhh, I already did.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
Uhhhhh, I already did.
Been a long day, I didn't catch that

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion