The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2017, 10:42 AM

Capos causing excessive fret wear?

User error - period.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:10 PM

This may have been already pointed out but capoing one of two guitars in a duo (not a "duet -- that's a song!) really enrichens the blend of sound and tone -- as opposed to both guitars playing the exact same chords with the exact same notes being put out. As in, one guitar is playing a no-capo E chord and the other is playing a D chord with the capo on the second fret. Go up higher, even, and "spread the love out" even more!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-22-2017, 01:31 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
You never caught Django Reinhardt or Les Paul using a capo ...
Ahh, okay.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I'm veering off topic here....but does anyone else just not like the sound of their guitar as much when it is capo'd (is that a word?). Once I get above the 3rd fret the high e string sounds very tinny too my ear. And not as full a sound overall as when it is played with the capo.

We spend a lot of time and money chasing what sounds good to our ears, and to me a capo really works against that.

What are your thoughts?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:43 PM

[QUOTE=min7b5;5276569]For me it's about being able to get voicings of chords that I would otherwise physically be able to in that key. Especially up the neck. An example would be my tune "Blues For Freida" http://acousticguitar.com/eric-skye-winter-namm-2016/ I wrote that tune in the key of G minor, but playing it as if it is E minor allows me to get voicings I could not be able get in G minor without capo. Hope that makes sense.[/QUOTE

Yes. I use a capo on the third fret a lot playing a G form. It's perfect for my voice, but it drives bass player crazy because it sounds in Ab.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I'm veering off topic here....but does anyone else just not like the sound of their guitar as much when it is capo'd (is that a word?). Once I get above the 3rd fret the high e string sounds very tinny too my ear. And not as full a sound overall as when it is played with the capo.

We spend a lot of time and money chasing what sounds good to our ears, and to me a capo really works against that.

What are your thoughts?
My Gibson sounds great with the capo even up high, my Blueridge seems to thin out... When playing open chord voicings, the nut is adding a bit to the tone and you loose that with the capo.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-22-2017, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post

What are your thoughts?

It really depends on the guitar. Some start sounding thin capoed but others take on a beautiful chime and ring. I usually look for guitars the like a capo before purchasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-22-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Hi Roy,

I'm not going to discredit your experience, I've never seen or touched your guitars and have never observed your playing style so it would be silly for me to try to argue with you. What's funny to me is the fret wear that develops on my guitars (after many years of playing them) occurs on the frets that I rarely capo. Up around the 5th fret where I capo a lot, there's no noticeable fret wear up there whatsoever. Just doesn't make sense to me, but I've got a rather small brain. LOL
Hi Mick

Well at the time, I was very much a begginer. My repertoire of chords was miniscule and I know where my fingers were going and where the wear SHOULD be, because I only knew a handful. I was a rhythm player, still am mostly but my style is morphing a lot at the moment. I will even say I was rather hamfisted with my right hand - I overplayed badly. This was about 4 years ago.

The wear I experienced was at the 4th fret and it was very heavy, needing fretwork in 7 months (dressing & crowning). I was using a Kyser and changed to other brands once I saw the results but I have avoided them ever since.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-22-2017, 01:53 PM
Guest4562

When I first started playing, the word on the street was if you used a capo, you weren't a very good player. When we started our first garage bands and discovered electric guitars with their crazy easy action, we thought we were hot stuff playing all kinds of Abs and EbMaj7s like they were nothing.

But then something awful happened - we grew up. And we saw the value of using the tools that helped you attain whatever goal you had for the song you were playing. If that involved use of a capo, so be it, regardless of whatever Mr. Big Star did or did not use one.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
When I first started playing, the word on the street was if you used a capo, you weren't a very good player. When we started our first garage bands and discovered electric guitars with their crazy easy action, we thought we were hot stuff playing all kinds of Abs and EbMaj7s like they were nothing.

But then something awful happened - we grew up. And we saw the value of using the tools that helped you attain whatever goal you had for the song you were playing. If that involved use of a capo, so be it, regardless of whatever Mr. Big Star did or did not use one.
Cause we KNOW no Mr. Big Star would use a capo, especially on electric guitar!!

Old 03-22-2017, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Hi Mick

Well at the time, I was very much a begginer. My repertoire of chords was miniscule and I know where my fingers were going and where the wear SHOULD be, because I only knew a handful. I was a rhythm player, still am mostly but my style is morphing a lot at the moment. I will even say I was rather hamfisted with my right hand - I overplayed badly. This was about 4 years ago.

The wear I experienced was at the 4th fret and it was very heavy, needing fretwork in 7 months (dressing & crowning). I was using a Kyser and changed to other brands once I saw the results but I have avoided them ever since.
I have no idea why your guitars would wear like this when mine don't. I've used Kyser capos for years and now mostly use a Shubb. The Kyser shouldn't clamp down too tightly on the strings and cause the problem. I guess we're just going to have to chalk it up to "what works for me may not necessarily work for you".
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 03-22-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurph1 View Post

Yes. I use a capo on the third fret a lot playing a G form. It's perfect for my voice, but it drives bass player crazy because it sounds in Ab.
That's not Ab, buddy
Old 03-22-2017, 04:53 PM

I use a capo for this reason; one of the keys that best suits my voice is Eb. For some reason, open chords in Eb just don't fall readily to hand. Further, I play fingerstyle and I find that some chord shapes lend themselves more easily to certain tunes, and that those chord shapes may not suit my voice in open tuning. A capo puts the song in a range I can sing. Finally, a capo allows me to play in a different voicing. If I'm playing with another guy who's playing in open E, I can capo 4 and finger C to get a different sound than the other guitar.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstegeman View Post
That's not Ab, buddy
This could be why said bass player is driven nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-22-2017, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
This could be why said bass player is driven nuts.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion