The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2016, 05:51 AM

Default Question for Wade

Your analysis is very helpful. One more question: do you feel the material quality between the two is identical? Can the price differential be explained by the cost of the burst?

Martin D-35 50th Anniversary Limited Edition
Taylor 814
Taylor DN5--Engelman top, tropical mahogany
Taylor 412ce—LTD maple
Giannini Classical 1960s vintage
Taylor GS Mini
Old 05-09-2016, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I know this topic has probably come up already but just wondering what everyone thinks of the Gibson J-35? I will admit that I am one of those guys who really likes the Gibson sound. However, I have been less than impressed by the overall quality of the instruments. The best ones I have played have been custom shop models but the standard line is really hit or miss. I don't want to start a debate over the quality, I am just being honest.

With that said, there's something appealing about the J-35. I am not sure if it's the affordable price or not but it seems to be pretty versatile. From what I have heard so far, the tone of the J-35 seems to be a lot more woody sounding than the J-45 with a brighter/stringy type of tone. I have watched numerous videos online and sometimes that bright/stringy tone seems to lack depth, bass and sustain but other times it sounds great. I have seen players use it for bluegrass and it actually sounds great for that but it also seems to excel with finger picking and strumming. The short scale is appealing as well. I just feel as though it would be a great guitar to have around, especially on stage. Just looking for opinions. Do any of you find that it's too bright or lacks bass?

I played one before and remember not being impressed but honestly, the Gibson dealer in my area tends to leave old strings on their guitars. It's difficult to really get into a guitar when the strings are dead.
I thought it was a great market entry - to re-issue the basic J-35, but quality issues seem to be a major concern. One of my friends is on his third - intonation being the main problem - (I had to have a Gibson made dobro rebuilt because intonation was way out...and I can cony put this sort of issue down to the instruments being made by "assemblers" rather than builders.

When the Jackson Browne's came out I tried two in different shops: build quality, presentation and set up were all issues that put me off....also the L-00 types of guitar which I've been looking for lately - I'd love a Gibson re-issue but they just don't cut it.

I'm probably spoilt by my Collings, and Santa Cruz instruments and by my one remaining Martin - a D12-20 rebuilt by Martins with most of the issues resolved.

However, I don't think that Gibson can currently compete on quality and presentation standards with most other makers ...including Far Eastern competitors.

Your standards may well be different to mine.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:23 AM

Thanks everyone! It was awesome to wake up this morning and see so many helpful replies. I think I will need to just keep playing as many as I can get my hands on in order to find one that speaks to me. They pop up used for great prices but I am always hesitant to go that route. I am just not good with meeting up with a seller off of kijiji, trying a guitar and knowing if it's the one after such a short visit.

In terms of the bright tone that some of you have mentioned; do you find it's the same type of hi-fi tone that you would expect from a Taylor? I find with Taylor guitars, the high end tends to dominate the tone, which ultimately hides some of the bass and warmth. I guess my worry is that I will have the same struggles that I have with my Taylor 310 (koa back and sides). I always want it to have more bottom end and warmth.

In my experience, I have found that bone saddles actually increase the high end. Is bone a good match for the J-35? I assume the J-35 comes with Tusq?

The intonation issues worry me a bit. I can tolerate cosmetic issues but I do worry about the life span of the J-35.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:25 AM

Have owned one for a few weeks now so its still settling in. I have been looking at them for a year or so now and at GC's most recent sale, I picked up what I think is a great example. As others have said its brighter, but for me that a good thing. You can tame a bright guitar with string choice but its harder to brighten up a dark/woody guitar if you are looking for more treble.

The projection, and more so, the RESPONSE is fantastic. I feel like it almost gives out more than you put in, if that makes sense.

Loud and punchy but still sounds like a Gibson acoustic.

Love the look and as others have mentioned, the neck is to die for perfect.

Mine set up very easily with NO build or quality issues at all.

I chose it over a J45 because I liked he tone and feel better.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco7 View Post
Hi, i believe it all boils down to personal taste. I used to have a J35, not a bad guitar at all: loud, lightweight and responsive to my light fingerstyle touch. But boy, when i tried my j45 she just spoke to me. It's almost all about the sound, she fits my voice perfectly and the tone is much more balanced than the "harsher" j35. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck.
'harsher' is not a bad example of describing the difference between the tone of the J-35 and J-45, I feel the same way about the AJ ... quite harsh sounding unless caressed.

Probably due to the bracing on the J-35 and AJ, but like you I do prefer the warmer, engulfing tone of the J-45.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-09-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4now View Post
Have owned one for a few weeks now so its still settling in. I have been looking at them for a year or so now and at GC's most recent sale, I picked up what I think is a great example. As others have said its brighter, but for me that a good thing. You can tame a bright guitar with string choice but its harder to brighten up a dark/woody guitar if you are looking for more treble.
Interesting, I have a different view on bright vs. dark. I always find that it's easier to brighten up a guitar or amp but it's almost impossible to completely get rid of the high end on a bright guitar/amp. I think you can tame it a bit but that's usually not enough. It's kind of like winter vs. summer. In the winter, I can always make myself warm by putting on more clothing. In the summer, it's often difficult to escape the heat.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:49 AM

I love my J-35, but lately I've been thinking about trading it and my Taylor 712e in for a Martin HD-28v... I'm fighting the GAS so hard... but i love my J-35!
Old 05-09-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Interesting, I have a different view on bright vs. dark. I always find that it's easier to brighten up a guitar or amp but it's almost impossible to completely get rid of the high end on a bright guitar/amp. I think you can tame it a bit but that's usually not enough. It's kind of like winter vs. summer. In the winter, I can always make myself warm by putting on more clothing. In the summer, it's often difficult to escape the heat.
great analogy with the winter/summer comparison. I guess I have always approached it that you can cut the high frequencies with tone controls in an amp or with certain acoustic strings, but is tougher to dial in high frequencies if they are not there.

I appreciate your perspective on the subject
Old 05-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
In terms of the bright tone that some of you have mentioned; do you find it's the same type of hi-fi tone that you would expect from a Taylor?
Not at all. It's very much of a Gibson, through-and-through. Still has that dry tone, fast decay, and midrange growl. It just has more pronounced trebles than the J-45s I've played and owned.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Not at all. It's very much of a Gibson, through-and-through. Still has that dry tone, fast decay, and midrange growl. It just has more pronounced trebles than the J-45s I've played and owned.
That's good to hear! I actually like a brighter tone if it still has that warmth and bass. Taylor guitars are very nice but I find that single note lines don't sound all that full. I like when I dig in and there's more bass/warmth behind the notes. I think the big selling feature is the projection though. I love a guitar that has a ton of volume and doesn't need an aggressive touch to make some noise.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:11 AM

I own a Fuller's reissue 1939 J-35,which is absolutely fabulous.....but....the newer version J-35's are quite fine guitars.....I've played a bunch of them.I,too,prefer them to the newer J-45's.
Imo,the J-35 is a very well made and quality instrument.It is a bit bright,but really nice!
Old 05-09-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxyshusband View Post
Your analysis is very helpful. One more question: do you feel the material quality between the two is identical? Can the price differential be explained by the cost of the burst?
Part of it is the additional labor costs involved with shooting a sunburst finish: the workers in the finish department who wield the spray guns tend to be the highest paid workers on the factory floor, just because it's exacting work and requires a much higher level of skill than just about any other work station. With a natural finish you eliminate that entire step.

But part of the lower cost of the J-35 is almost certainly marketing, as well.

So it's both, so far as I can tell.

As for the actual fit and finish and build quality, yes, I think the modern J-35 is every bit the equal of the J-45, absence of the sunburst aside. The same workers on the same assembly line make both guitars.

whm
Old 05-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Guest316

I like the few J-35s I've played a lot, but to my ear they don't have as pleasing a sound as the J-45 or the Songwriter series of instruments (Hummingbird Pro, Songwriter Deluxe, etc.). My favorite sounding Gibson by far and away is the J-15 - the cheapest acoustic Gibby there is lol. Sometimes I think about trading in my Hummingbird Pro for one o' them J-15s, but then I pull it out of the case and play it -- no trades, ever.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I like the few J-35s I've played a lot, but to my ear they don't have as pleasing a sound as the J-45 or the Songwriter series of instruments (Hummingbird Pro, Songwriter Deluxe, etc.). My favorite sounding Gibson by far and away is the J-15 - the cheapest acoustic Gibby there is lol. Sometimes I think about trading in my Hummingbird Pro for one o' them J-15s, but then I pull it out of the case and play it -- no trades, ever.
There's a J-15 going for around $900 in the classfieds .... c-mon, a man cant have just one Gibson. (well, unless its a banner J-45)
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-09-2016, 01:21 PM

Default good history on the J35

Heres is a link to a page I found after hearing an early J35 ('37 to '39) and deciding it was the sound I wanted. Had John Greven build me one that will never be leaving.

http://www.guitarhq.com/j35.html

Hope it works, has a lot of good info and history.

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion