The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Hi, I'm not an advanced guitar player, but I got a Luna Trinity 12 string for Christmas last year and I really like it. My friend, who is a very good guitar player, played it and he said that it was "amazing for the price". (It was in the $500 range off Ebay). Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say that I've been happy with my Luna.

This is the model, fwiw.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:49 PM

I got one for my wife a couple years ago. It's got all kinds of lazer etching on the top. Flowers and stuff like that. She wanted it so I got it for her. It's got insane low action with no buzz and is very easy to play. The neck feels really good to me but it sounds like a cardboard box. It has electronics but I've never plugged it in. I played it for about 5 minutes once but other than that it's never been out of the case.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:23 AM

A daughter of a friend recently bought a Luna Henna Paradise for herself - she seems happy...
Old 05-17-2014, 01:34 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LvTui4k6Fw

If this is luna guitar then Im a big fan
Old 05-17-2014, 01:51 AM

They are well made and decent sounding

I worked on one and was impressed with it ..

Here is how it sounds
http://youtu.be/lEZATpTN_Og

Enjoy Jarvis
Old 05-17-2014, 02:50 AM

I've played several. Some sounded dead, a (few) others ... quite good!

Can't get past the fancy-fied looks on most models, though. While they're definitely pretty, personally I'm into plainer-looking instruments that can be taken anywhere without their looks being a distraction.

(Having started with full-size classicals, I also prefer bigger necks ... much to my own surprise.)
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 05-17-2014, 02:26 PM

I bought a Luna guitar as my learner guitar and as a beginner I've been very happy with it. I bought it as my local guitar shops didn't really seem to understand my requirements for a smaller, lighter guitar with a comfortable neck for someone with smaller hands. You'd think all they sell to is kids amd men! As Luna's press says they're designed to be comfortable for women I went ahead and bought one - a laminate and i've enjoyed playing it. I personally like the visual look, I think a guitar is more than just a tool, as William Morris said, 'own nothing that is not beautiful or useful'. I have played a bunch of similar priced guitars in shops here and I think it stands up well. It has a loud, bright, jangly even sound which is good for pop/rock type songs. I would be interested in trying one of their solid guitars to see how it sounds, but nowhere stocks them near me. Now that i'm a gsm owner I find that so much more comfortable to play with the shorter neck and the tone like chalk and cheese comparing the two. I'm really surprised that Luna haven't thought to make short scale necks as they say their audience is women!
Old 05-17-2014, 03:48 PM

My post here might be completely useless, but the name reminds me of Luna bars... Those are pretty good, not sure about the guitars.

I've come to think that most products that make an effort to convey an image rather than a function is not as good, functionally, as it could be for the same price without the image.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:17 AM

I own the all solid wood Orchestral Luna Crafsman cedar/koa- astonishingly good. Excellent low-key video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuvEV5PnmT4

Cost me less than some of their ornate laminates- which is surely odd.
With the B-band system installed it is a remarkable price and tone.
The build quality is very, very high, and the tonewoods give it a darker, more mysterious sound.
So happy they made this guitar as most this size disappoint in some way.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:23 AM

If it makes her want to play, then it's a good guitar for her.
After she reaches the point where tone matters, then you can upgrade.

She'll probably have a friend or two waiting for her to get tired of her cute guitar!
Old 06-20-2014, 04:24 PM

Don't know about the guitars but by Luna Pineapple Ukulele is a joy to play

Older no wiser
Guild D212 1981
Guild D125 2012
Gibson Hummingbird Pro 2013
Luna Pineapple Soprano 2013
Wee Davy Concert Banjolele 2014
Telecaster Homebuild 2015
Old 07-07-2019, 05:36 PM

Default Luna is okay!

I've been playing on a Gypsy Spalt for several years now. I bought it new at GC as something to diddle on and practice tougher stuff. The price was right, I used to play gigs on my Taylor, but as time went by I found myself playing the Luna more and more, even gigging with it.
There are arguments out there (here too) that these guitars are laminated. Well, most lower end guitars today are laminated, and that includes Gretsch, Fender, Gibson and even Taylor. Hell, lamination means nothing if the instrument sounds good. This one does! I didn't like the original strings on it, or the slightly high action, but switching to Retros and 30 minutes in the woodshed cleared that up. And while the top is indeed laminated, the spalt lamination is over solid spruce. Korea is the other country where they are made, and Luna is owned by the same company that owns Dean.
Definately NOT a turd in a red ribbon!
Old 07-07-2019, 06:30 PM

I remember reading that one of the original founders of Luna guitars is an artist.

This may account for the "pretty" or artistic approach to their guitars.

I think if you are starting a guitar company these days you need something that separates your product from all the rest. So, for guitars aimed at young girls and women, pretty makes sense. I am sure artsy guitars appeal to many, however.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion