The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Change can be difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I know that Collings and maybe Bourgeois have made !8 models with 28 trim. Don't see the point, myself.

Now Martin are messing with their own numbering system and designs.
"17" to indicate year ? C'mon!

I'd prefer to live in a world where a D18 looks like a D-18, a D-28 looks like a D-28 etc.

Who IS making the marketing decisions in that company now?

Seems to me that someone who knows nothing about guitars, Martin's heritage and numbering system is just playing around with possibilities.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Can anyone confirm the specs on these? The Martin website is quite vague. For example: (1) I know that hide glue was used on the Neck Joint, but was the entire construction hide glue or just the neck joint? (2) Has the top been sanded to authentic thickness or is it a modern full thickness top? (3) Is the bracing GE Scalloped or authentic scalloped?

It's an interesting guitar to me (although I am among those who think that the Herringbone trim should be reserved for Style 28 guitars) but I don't know that I would find it superior enough to my MFG Custom Style 18 (Essentially a D18GE) that it would be worth the upgrade.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 06-24-2019, 05:31 PM

At $7K maybe they expect you to steal it, you Outlaw, you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-18 authentic, martin, outlaw