The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I'm in.

Okay Bruce, you got me hooked! Why all the ballends? Do you collect them for fun and enjoyment? I assume you are cutting them off at string change. So why are you "collecting" the little ball ends of strings?
Old 06-15-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Hi !
I used to like Martin M140 on some other guitars.
Martin Co. now put me in trouble as they stopped producing these...
I used to like Martin M140, too. Will try D'Addario EJ11 as a replacement for M140 soon. Hopefully, I will like EJ11 even better.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
Okay Bruce, you got me hooked! Why all the ballends? Do you collect them for fun and enjoyment? I assume you are cutting them off at string change. So why are you "collecting" the little ball ends of strings?
I think I saw someone - might have been here on the AGF - make some jewellery stuff from these so I just decided to start cutting them off old strings.

Maybe a gypsy might come knocking one day asking for ballends.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 06-15-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
My name is Wade, and I use, prefer, recommend and endorse John Pearse strings, not only on my guitars but also on my mandolins, mountain dulcimers and banjos. Which gauges and string alloys go on which instruments depends on how each instrument responds to the different alloys.

Wade Hampton Miller
Quite a mouthful...what exactly makes John Pearse strings so unique/special?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:27 AM

I am also a string-a-holic.

I try a lot of different strings, especially the new ones. I always end up coming back to Phosphor Bronze Elixir Nanowebs...

I have very acidic hands and can kill strings pretty quick. Elixir PBs last me MONTHs. Other strings, maybe 2-3 weeks tops.

I don't particularly hate the Elixir sound, but I'm not crazy about it either. I think Martin SP PB are my favorite tone, I just make them sound dull in a few days.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:01 AM

It’s been over a week since I last changed strings , I enjoy experimenting and seeing how the different strings sound and play. The more I try the more different brands I find I have tried some brands that I never heard of that sound and feel good . The ones I have on now are American made I think they said in Florida , I believe the brand is sono tone . So far they are nice 👍
Old 06-18-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1833 View Post
It’s been over a week since I last changed strings , I enjoy experimenting and seeing how the different strings sound and play. The more I try the more different brands I find I have tried some brands that I never heard of that sound and feel good . The ones I have on now are American made I think they said in Florida , I believe the brand is sono tone . So far they are nice 👍
Been on to Sono Tone for about a year. Very high quality and price reflects it.
Part of my rotation. I too can't resist trying anything new that comes along. With a battery powered string winder I don't find it a hassle to change strings. Can usually do it in 8-10 minutes.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:14 PM

After I wrote that I use, prefer and endorse John Pearse strings for all of the stringed instruments I play, not just guitars, therbulus asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by therbulus View Post
Quite a mouthful...what exactly makes John Pearse strings so unique/special?
I don't know if they're "unique," per se, but they sound great and they last me quite a bit longer than any other uncoated strings I've ever tried. When I first discovered the John Pearse brand in the mid-1980's, I only owned and gigged out with one professional quality guitar, a rosewood Mossman dreadnought. The main strings I'd been using were GHS Bright Bronze, which sounded good but only lasted me two weeks, at best.

Around that time I read an interview with Doc Watson in the old Frets Magazine where he said that John Pearse strings were the best-sounding he'd ever used, so I ordered a set for myself. I liked them a lot, so then I ordered a dozen sets. I've been using them almost exclusively ever since.

What I found with the John Pearse 80/20's was that I could get 4 to 6 weeks out of a set, without any problem, and they sounded great. So they gave me two to three times the lifespan of the GHS strings I'd been using.

Now, not everyone gets as good a string life out of them as I do. I'm friends with a fine guitarist whose normal strings of choice are D'Addario phosphor bronze. He gets three to four weeks out of a set of those, whereas I'm lucky to get a week out of them, two weeks at best. But he blows through Pearse strings in a week.

So John Pearse strings don't offer great longevity to everyone, but they sure work well for me. Plus they sound terrific.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion