The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2019, 12:58 PM

Default Bone Saddle for Taylors???

Anybody ever put a bone saddle on their Taylor? What did it do for the sound? I ordered a Taylor bone saddle with my new 717, and I thought about putting it on tonight, but I wanted to get some opinions before I start sanding down a $40 saddle lol.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:31 PM

I put one on my 314ce. It sounds fine.

I actually don't remember what the old one sounded like, though. I had taken it to a so-called "luthier" and he sanded the original one down so far there was no break angle over the saddle and all the strings buzzed. I replaced it with a bone saddle and a dealer set it up and it's been fine ever since.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 05-28-2019, 01:35 PM

I ordered them directly from Taylor for both my 150e and my 324ce. Nice improvement in both. For the 12 string it really corralled the jangle a bit and gave it a deeper more even tone. For the 324 it also smoothed out the tone a bit and made it more even across the strings. I won't go back to whatever the stock saddle was in either.

Btw, the only sanding I had to do on either was thickness so they would fit in the slot. Height was spot on with the original in both cases.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:01 PM

For a guitar without electronics it’s usually an improvement. Not sure about the new Taylor V brace. The Tusq saddle usually adds bass in my experience. Bone usually adds definition.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Back in '94 my 710 came with a bone saddle and it was just too bright so I talked to Taylor and they suggested I try Tusq and sent me one at no charge. Well, it's been in there for 25 years and it sounds better every year. The original Taylor bone saddle lives in my Ibanez now and sounds great there.

Moral of the story, if your guitar is really bright bone might not be best. Or it might be, only your ears know for sure.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-28-2019, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Anybody ever put a bone saddle on their Taylor? What did it do for the sound? I ordered a Taylor bone saddle with my new 717, and I thought about putting it on tonight, but I wanted to get some opinions before I start sanding down a $40 saddle lol.
Hi SoB
You will get different opinions.

My opinion was when I had my Taylor 714ce changed from Tusq to Bone (by the dealer I bought it from) everyone in the room thought it was an improvement when it was fresh off the bench.

I'm a fingerstyler, and all my guitars sport Bone saddles. I like the tone and definition of it better than Tusq, and the aesthetics of it being bone (aesthetics are personal and not tone related).

Taylor used to advertise their bone saddles as an 'upgrade'. Don't know if they still do…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-28-2019, 02:45 PM

I think Taylor is moving away from animal products in favor of synthetics. Fish glue is the exception, I believe.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I think Taylor is moving away from animal products in favor of synthetics. Fish glue is the exception, I believe.
Hi mgd

Taylor Tusq saddles have been stock for over 20 years. I personally don't think it had anything to do with animal products, but cost savings.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-28-2019, 03:17 PM

Default Bone Saddle for Taylors???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi mgd

Taylor Tusq saddles have been stock for over 20 years. I personally don't think it had anything to do with animal products, but cost savings.

Possibly. I was told that Bob Taylor’s daughter was an animal rights activist and had some influence. No idea if that’s true.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:20 PM

Yes - on a Taylor 814ce. Made it sound less boxy and thin. Fuller sound. More resonant. Noticeable and nice upgrade for that guitar.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

I have a bone saddle in my GS-6 (2006) and the switch seemed to give it a bit more bottom and sustain. It was an improvement to an already great guitar.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:18 PM

YES! Definitely try the bone. I have bone now in both my Taylors. I think the saddles took me from like to love and allowed me to go back to Elixirs strings and (mostly) stock ebony pins. My 614 previously had TUSQ and the 814 had Micarta. The bone adds warmth and a bit of thickness and fullness to the sound.

Also, I found a difference between bleached bone and unbleached bone and the difference was noticeable. Bone saddles are cheap at $15 so I didn't find it unreasonable to experiment.

Let us know what you hear after doing the installation. Fitting should take less than 10 minutes.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-28-2019, 05:59 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I ordered a Taylor bone saddle with my new 717, and ... I wanted to get some opinions before I start sanding down a $40 saddle lol.
Well, what else are you going to do with it?

If four people say it sounds great and four people say it sounds terrible, how will that help you?

If you want to know what a given saddle or string or nut or pick will do for your guitar, there’s only one way to find out.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:10 PM

I just barely, and I mean 10 minutes ago, put a bone saddle on my GA-K. And as far as I can tell ... No real difference.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:33 PM

I changed out the saddle on my 89 810 LTD to bone and was very happy with the results.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion