The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-18-2024, 05:55 PM

Default Bach Cello Suite No. 3 in C Major, BWV 1009: V Bouree 1, 2 Arr. for classical guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9KMaordlQs
Old 02-18-2024, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Oh man! I thought I'd listen for a minute, but had to go the distance. That was wonderful, Dean. If I could do that, I't tell the whole world to just kiss my a**. Not to downplay your excellent playing, but the guitar sounded great, too. What is it, if I may ask (and knowing that your recording quality played a big part)? Well done!
Old 02-19-2024, 05:25 AM

Utterly brilliant playing and sound.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:42 PM

Bravo

Old 02-19-2024, 02:29 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the comments.
Recording:
I'm glad you like the sound. I have really experimented a lot with recording the classical guitar these last eight years. At first I thought that it would be easy. Nope. Mics, mic distances, levels, mastering, amount of reverb, where to record, I've tried everything. I am pretty happy now with my guitar sound, but there are surely many different ways to record, and I will continue to try and improve. I use 2 Neumann KM 184's both over to the right, one lower, the other level with the sound hole but to the side somewhat, not right in front. Each mic is around a meter from the sound hole of my guitar. The mics are around 14 inches apart.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:27 AM

Wow. Just - wow. Congratulations on another amazing performance!
Old 02-20-2024, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful!
Old 02-21-2024, 08:51 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean18 View Post
Thanks for the comments.
Recording:
I'm glad you like the sound. I have really experimented a lot with recording the classical guitar these last eight years. At first I thought that it would be easy. Nope. Mics, mic distances, levels, mastering, amount of reverb, where to record, I've tried everything. I am pretty happy now with my guitar sound, but there are surely many different ways to record, and I will continue to try and improve. I use 2 Neumann KM 184's both over to the right, one lower, the other level with the sound hole but to the side somewhat, not right in front. Each mic is around a meter from the sound hole of my guitar. The mics are around 14 inches apart.
Nice playing and thanks for the mic placement info. I'll have to try this. Not sure if my room is good enough for a meter set back of the mics though

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-21-2024, 09:28 AM

Default Why a meter?

I have placed mics closer in the past. It seemed to me that I got too much nail noise (especially when the mics were right in front of the sound hole) but the nature of the sound changes with distance. When the mics are even farther away the sound has less bass and sounds a bit less present. You might like the sound. With the mics closer I find that the sound is rounder, it picks up more bass. I just like a bit more high end. My room is nothing special but, at one meter away, I don't get too much of the sound of the room at all. It is full of stuff. I can add digital reverb (again I have done a lot of experimenting with different reverbs) and I don't hear any room noise at all in the end.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:09 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean18 View Post
I have placed mics closer in the past. It seemed to me that I got too much nail noise (especially when the mics were right in front of the sound hole) but the nature of the sound changes with distance. When the mics are even farther away the sound has less bass and sounds a bit less present. You might like the sound. With the mics closer I find that the sound is rounder, it picks up more bass. I just like a bit more high end. My room is nothing special but, at one meter away, I don't get too much of the sound of the room at all. It is full of stuff. I can add digital reverb (again I have done a lot of experimenting with different reverbs) and I don't hear any room noise at all in the end.
Ok thanks. I'll experiment with it!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-21-2024, 02:10 PM

So good! That was just excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-21-2024, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Yes, that was most excellent. Actually, all the movements you posted so far from this suite have been great.
And this is not easy material. So challenging. Also, it takes endurance to play this stuff. The Bourrees alone, with their repeats, are true workouts.
Well done!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
bach, cello suites, classical guitar, dean zimmerman