The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Journey's K&K clone for $29.99

Just got an email form Journey about this. Wow - seems like a truly great deal.... Links below to pickup and review. The review is pretty over the top and sounds more like an ad than an actual review, but the pickup sounds good.

https://journeyinstruments.com/produ...guitar-pickup/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=zhZAIJhm7Rg
Old 05-01-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Just got an email form Journey about this. Wow - seems like a truly great deal.... Links below to pickup and review. The review is pretty over the top and sounds more like an ad than an actual review, but the pickup sounds good.

https://journeyinstruments.com/produ...guitar-pickup/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=zhZAIJhm7Rg
I'd be concerned about any triple transducer installation that recommends between 1-2, 3-4, and 4-5.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:04 PM

Well, I bought one of those $10 K&K clones on Amazon and I threw it away and got a real K&K after about a month with it and that was using a Tonedexter to try to bring it up to a usable sound. It was comparatively harsh and the signal was much weaker than the K&K. I don't know about Journey's version, but life has taught me that you get what you pay for (not that I always listen to that advice, sadly)...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-02-2019, 06:39 AM

Given the price of the components (even buying in the US <$5) and Asian assembly the $29 price point is achievable and profitable. But they need to have chosen the piezo elements well.

K&K is the reference and I think JJB nailed a not identical but nice sounding alternative. That conclusion is not universal on the AGF and the cyanoacrylate glue required to try out brand-X seems a strong barrier to trying a cheaper PUP in an expensive guitar.

The next time someone asks me to install a pickup in their plywood beater I'll give Journey a try.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-02-2019, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Not surprised to finally see this. I will say that I've owned two Journey OF660 CF guitars with this pickup system in it and it sounded every bit as good - if not better - than the K&K's which I have installed in all my guitars the last several years!
Old 05-04-2019, 01:57 PM

Default Concern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'd be concerned about any triple transducer installation that recommends between 1-2, 3-4, and 4-5.
Why is that?
Old 05-04-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

it never ceases to amaze me that some of us are willing to spend thousands on guitars, then spend hours searching for a way to save $100 on a pickup. YMMV, just my opinion, subjective perspective, etc.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Why is that?
Because K&K installation is basically between pairs 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6. From literally years of playing with piezo materials that makes the most sense to me if the transducers themselves don't have off-coloration of the tone. Getting the low string transducer away from the 6th string indicates to me that the materials or encapsulation method needs a little "help" to improve the tonal response.

I have nothing against anyone who wants a $29 transducer setup, though.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
it never ceases to amaze me that some of us are willing to spend thousands on guitars, then spend hours searching for a way to save $100 on a pickup. YMMV, just my opinion, subjective perspective, etc.
You're Spot On, Bro!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-11-2019, 07:32 PM

Well, I just ordered one to put in my little Fender. I'll be happy to demo once it's here and I can install it.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Because K&K installation is basically between pairs 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6. From literally years of playing with piezo materials that makes the most sense to me if the transducers themselves don't have off-coloration of the tone. Getting the low string transducer away from the 6th string indicates to me that the materials or encapsulation method needs a little "help" to improve the tonal response.

I have nothing against anyone who wants a $29 transducer setup, though.
Sorry, I misread.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Not surprised to finally see this. I will say that I've owned two Journey OF660 CF guitars with this pickup system in it and it sounded every bit as good - if not better - than the K&K's which I have installed in all my guitars the last several years!
I went down the You Tube rabbit hole on the Journey site, lots of recent plugged in performances from NAMM. I then landed on your Journey OF660 review and the plugged in sound was very good. Actually every video I heard was good. You have a lot of experience with amplified sound and from everything I have heard I agree with you.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
I went down the You Tube rabbit hole on the Journey site, lots of recent plugged in performances from NAMM. I then landed on your Journey OF660 review and the plugged in sound was very good. Actually every video I heard was good. You have a lot of experience with amplified sound and from everything I have heard I agree with you.
Thanks. I have to admit, I was quite shocked how great it sounded when I first plugged in the OF660. Not just because the of their K&K clone but just the size of the guitar body itself. I had one of their wood versions, (I think the OF420 maybe?) and it sounded pretty awful plugged in. And unplugged, for that matter.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Thanks. I have to admit, I was quite shocked how great it sounded when I first plugged in the OF660. Not just because the of their K&K clone but just the size of the guitar body itself. I had one of their wood versions, (I think the OF420 maybe?) and it sounded pretty awful plugged in. And unplugged, for that matter.
Interesting you say the OF420 sounded aweful plugged and unplugged. I wonder if it had the same pick up as the carbon fibre OF660. BUT aweful unplugged would equal aweful plugged in so that makes sense.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I understand your point but I'm guilty of that. I'm not willing to spend thousands on guitars. So yeah, saving $100 is a big deal. Especially since I'm just playing open mics and will never go 'pro.' As long as it sounds reasonable, I'll happily play the 'value' game for something that I'll rarely use.

I look forward to hearing some of these experiments!

Last edited by RedJoker; 05-13-2019 at 12:00 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification