The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-12-2019, 08:57 AM

Default worship guitar tutorial?

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial for playing worship guitar? I have been playing for about 5 years and play almost exclusively modern fingerstyle, so my rhythm skills are pretty weak. Most of the books I see online seem more about basic chord shapes rather than learning new techniques.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 AM

I don't think there's any particular technique that makes it specifically "worship" guitar, so you might look at any tutorials for strumming. Definitely might want to look at a metronome or cheap drum machine for practice.

As for the chord voicings, there is a particular sub-style in worship music that uses some pretty specific chords, namely those with the 1st and 2nd string ringing open in almost every shape...depending on what your situation calls for, you might need those, in addition to the regular open "cowboy" chords and barre chords up and down the neck.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-12-2019, 10:21 AM

Lots of resources on YouTube for this genre.

Two examples:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGn...46mvKCUjFTUXGw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdd...jBQIaRfE93-opA
Old 02-12-2019, 10:30 AM

I think it depends a lot on what you're looking for.

"Worship" music it's a pretty broad topic..

What I would suggest is to go to Chris Brunelle's youtube channel,

https://www.youtube.com/user/bowzer1972

he's got many videos of the standard OCP listed songs and hymns. If you're doing this for Roman Catholic services, he's a great resource.

His vids will give you a real good idea of how to work guitar arrangements to many songs that are used.

You can also go to the OCP web site,
https://www.ocp.org/en-us

and find the guitar charts that have the correct chords, and keys. They are not free, so be selective on what you need.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhunn View Post
Can anyone recommend a good tutorial for playing worship guitar? I have been playing for about 5 years and play almost exclusively modern fingerstyle, so my rhythm skills are pretty weak. Most of the books I see online seem more about basic chord shapes rather than learning new techniques.
Hi joelhunn

Paul Baloche has tons of worship resources for styling, playing, etc. In fact there is an entire video course for worship teams with a unique section for guitarists (both acoustic and electric). On YouTube look up "Paul Baloche Guitar Workshop". Several DOZEN videos specific to guitars.

He has tons of other guitar resources as well…I suggest you google the phrase "paul baloche worship resources" and you'll encounter those.

He is an acoustic worship guitarist and writer. I used his resources to push my acoustic players another notch or two down the tracks over the years. And his electric player in his band is who did the electric guitar training. A lot of what we bought 10 years ago is now free on YouTube.

Good stuff and specific to worship…

In addition on YouTube there are tons of resources. Worship Tutorial's YouTube channel includes (but is not limited to) guitar tutorials.

I think live video is always superior to what is in books when it comes to 'learning' styles and rhythm etc. When I'm in the middle of the stage in the middle of a worship set, and the solo is 16 bars away…I'm not thinking about any books I've read…

Have fun on your journey!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've got my little page on the subject, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-12-2019, 11:44 AM

I've been playing for over 50 years and thought I was pretty good at rhythm just doing some picking with my friends. We manage to make it through plenty of songs by JD, CSN&Y, Jim Croce, Simon & Garfunkel, Dan Fogelberg, etc.

And I'm a fairly decent strummer and finger picker so when I started playing in our Praise Band about 5 or 6 years ago I was quite surprised to find that I was all over the map when it came to timing and playing with others. At first it was just me on the guitar and a 75-year old fantastic piano player and she set the timing that I had to follow because a grand piano is sooooo stinkin' loud -

Fast forward 5 years and we have a lot of instruments, no grand piano, and click tracks. I have gotten far, far better at timing and counting when I play and that's the big difference for me.

Playing all the chords has never been an issue but now I can't slow down or speed up whenever I want. I have to stay with the beat or it gets really muddy sounding.

So my advice would be to play along on YouTube with the worship songs you like and see how well you do. Pick some songs by Chris Tomlin, Matt Maher, Matt Redman, Kristian Stanfill, etc., turn the sound up, and enjoy.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 02-12-2019, 02:51 PM

Thanks guys. You have given me a lot to review. I’ll start to dig in
Old 02-12-2019, 02:54 PM

Default Eagles wings

Just one song, but a beautiful arrangement, and fairly simple to play.

Seems it's hard to go through just once, because the beauty and emotion of the piece tends to enthrall, so I repeat a couple of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns5SSxcjiMU

Old 02-12-2019, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I've got my little page on the subject, HERE.

Bob
Great advice Bob. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:14 PM

Default worship guitar tutorial?

For the last nine years playing fingerstyle in a worship setting weekly has been my primary performing and practice platform . I had also been the most rewarding , we play as a trio , keyboard , Uke and myself . For me playing solo fingerstyle during communion is one of the most enjoyable moments . We had a guest keyboard player this week that from the first note just gave real goosebumps. YouTube has some great resources . Good luck with your search . My all time favourite is “ The Water is Wide “
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 02-14-2019, 06:27 AM

I didn't check all the links to see if someone already posted this guy, but I really like Aaron Tomberlin. He didn't start out with worship music, but moved into it. His videos are older, but he's an accomplished musician, not just a guitar player, so he's able to bring extra musical knowledge to his lessons. I especially like his work with Praise and Worship chord theory, but he also has lots of how to play X videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/aarontomberlin/videos

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write