The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Default Your Comparative Experiences: RainSong CO-OM1000N2 and Emerald X20 Artisan

Hey Folks,

Just yesterday, a new RainSong CO-OM1000N2 came into my favorite local dealer, and I was the first customer to play it right out of its shipping carton, and I'm considering buying it. Before I do, however, I've also been considering an Emerald X20 Artisan in Green but I haven't played an Emerald X20 Artisan. For those of you who own or have played both these guitars, please compare the following qualities for me, thanks:

A) Neck Feel: Is it easier to THUMB-FRET the Emerald X20 Artisan compared to the RainSong CO-OM1000N2, and, overall, which guitar's neck feels more comfortable to you?

B) Tone & Resonance: I like the tone, resonance and dynamics of the RainSong CO-OM1000N2, so, although likely somewhat different, does the Emerald X20 Artisan have its own satisfying levels of these qualities?

C) Guitar Comfort When Sitting And Standing: How would you compare the comfort qualities of these two guitars as far as stability on-the-strap when playing seated or standing? For example, when seated, does the guitar tend to slip away from your chest/stomach when on your lap, and is it neck-heavy when seated or standing?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-22-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Anyone with any experience involving these two guitars? Let me also include a RainSong OM1000N2 and a BI-OM1000N2 to the mix for comparison to the Emerald X20 regarding the qualities I've listed. Thanks.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-23-2016, 05:38 AM

I donʻt know if this helps or not. My experience has been with the twelves - comparatives....

The Rainsong felt bigger, neck was ok. I had no problem playing it, action decent and the neck was like a blend of my Martinʻs stirred with a dab of Gibson.

I simply could not bond with it - tried for two weeks and again a few weeks ago decided to take a fresher approach. Granted the one I tried was older and yet in great shape - there was something missing. Tone was really as expected and it had good balance, great projection. Frankly it surprised me, never wanted to love a guitar more - didnʻt work. I donʻt know why.

Same timeframe, ordered my X20-12 and she stays. I admit that by the time it got here I was very apprehensive after the RS, but they really are two totally different beasts. The X20 seemed to just hit my buttons, on many levels. Nothing like I expected - better on all levels.

I admit that a couple of my songs sound awful on her, so thatʻs when I grab wood, but wow this baby can really do a full mood adjustment.

They feel very different, not foreign or weird, but different.
My husband has an X20 6 and we both want him to try an RS as well as a Journey, havenʻt tried them yet, but I think Iʻm hooked on Emerald by a visceral drive. Something yanks my chain.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:46 AM

A) Neck Feel: Is it easier to THUMB-FRET the Emerald X20 Artisan compared to the RainSong CO-OM1000N2, and, overall, which guitar's neck feels more comfortable to you?

B) Tone & Resonance: I like the tone, resonance and dynamics of the RainSong CO-OM1000N2, so, although likely somewhat different, does the Emerald X20 Artisan have its own satisfying levels of these qualities?

C) Guitar Comfort When Sitting And Standing: How would you compare the comfort qualities of these two guitars as far as stability on-the-strap when playing seated or standing? For example, when seated, does the guitar tend to slip away from your chest/stomach when on your lap, and is it neck-heavy when seated or standing?

A- very similar

B- different and agreeably satisfying - yes the RS may have a slightly ʻwoodierʻ tone, but the X20 is downright exciting

C- I only play sitting down, am also not much bigger than my guitar - but the RS felt bigger, yet more familiar.
X20 - hubbyʻs has the textured back and mine is the all gloss Artisan - a bit slippery and not at all hard to hold - comfort level is very high . I use a strap and have no issue

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber