The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2022, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Default tip jar etiquette

I'd like to hear from others about using a tip jar. At most of our gigs Rokdog and I put out a #10 can with our band logo on it and a small sign encouraging tips. We've never gotten any complaints from fans or management for this practice and it provides a little extra income. We don't do this for Assisted Living gigs or if there were to be a cover charge at the venue. What are the collective thoughts of those of you who are actively gigging?
Old 11-11-2022, 07:51 PM

Default Tip jars

Tip jars are part of the game and pretty much a universal constant when it comes to gigging out. Even when there’s a cover charge you’ll almost always see a tip jar.

One of the more humorous approaches a friend used was to have a larger jar labeled “Tips” and a smaller jar next to it labeled “Overflow”. Gotta love it!
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 11-11-2022, 07:51 PM

We only play in bars, none of them charge a cover so we have a tip jar out. We make a few bucks but not that much, $20-$40 is about it.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

I always have a tip jar out at restaurants and bars. Never at private parties, corporate events or country club gigs.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 11-11-2022, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Tipping increases our take home pay considerably.

We think of our performance as a two way street, we give something to the audience, they are welcome and reminded to give something back. The club pays us on our weekly gig, but it's understood that folks are encouraged to tip. The bar has beer buckets that the bands use.

I also opened a Venmo business account and have a QR code we display on the bandstand,.. folks scan it w/ their smart phones, takes 'em to our band Venmo page. If you're not doing it, you're leaving money on the table (and not in your pocket).
Old 11-11-2022, 10:12 PM

Back in my solo coffeehouse days I stationed one of those jumbo clear-plastic pretzel jars at the front of the stage, with the following message:

Tip Jar

If you enjoyed this evening's performance, your generous contribution is greatly appreciated

If not, help pay for my music lessons

Generally made out pretty well - to this day I'm still not sure why...
Old 11-11-2022, 10:13 PM

A couple of "tips" (not from gigs I play, but another job I work where tips are given which might be worth putting in place if you haven't already)

-Don't use a can, make it a glass jar., or clear plastic...something that folks can see the dollars you already have in there!

-Drop some money in there to start so folks can see that it's an active jar. Folks seem hesitant to be the first to drop in dollars!

-"Fluff" up the dollars in the jar that you've earned so that it creates a good full "look". some folks will drop dollars in there that are flat, or folded up and you want them filling out the jar. Folks are inclined to add to your jar if it's well placed and well presented.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-11-2022, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Smile Another geezer story…

Tip Jar Etiquette…

Back in about 1988 or so I had a brief gig with a super well loved Anchorage solo guy who was quitting four packs a day of Camel straights. He knew he would loose his voice, so there I was

He had a 1/4 size clear lucite toilet with a light inside. His sign said, “as long as you are flushing your money away…”

Not only did our temporary trio make about $400 a night in tips (on top of GOOD pay) but he often found jewelry and various drugs in the jar too!

Then he went to Nashville to “make it big”…. He was soon washing dishes there and came back to Ak the next spring.

Some kind of message here…. Often they are buying what you are selling, somewhere.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-12-2022, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I also opened a Venmo business account and have a QR code we display on the bandstand,.. folks scan it w/ their smart phones, takes 'em to our band Venmo page. If you're not doing it, you're leaving money on the table (and not in your pocket).
This right here.. I prefer tipping electronically as I rarely carry cash anymore.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

We put out a tip jar, a plastic beer pitcher, on the floor in front of us with no sign and we don’t reference it at all. We found that if we didn’t have something out there, people would come up and try to hand us money while we’re playing. Awkward.

However, we’re not always on raised stages and some people have difficulty bending down. So we now attach it to one of the mic stands
Old 11-12-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendandsnap View Post
This right here.. I prefer tipping electronically as I rarely carry cash anymore.
Interesting.
I wonder how many people “rarely carry cash anymore.”
My grandson is 21 and he always carries some cash.
Sorry for the thread derailment.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-12-2022, 06:23 AM

I have been asked if i take credit cards (I don't). I am completely unsure how to handle such situations. Even if I set up to take cards, I can't stop playing to process someone's card. Can that be done just by the audience member alone?

If the gig is well paid (for me), then I do not solicit tips unless the patron suggests it. Nothing for private events. Where it is considered normal, I usually open my case with a 8.5x11 sheet conspiciously lettered with something humorous: "Starving Musician"s Fund", "We appreciate every red cent.", "Gas money for the ride home"... And I seed it with a few ones, a five or maybe more. If I am playing with a partner, I need to remember how much I put in so it can be subtracted when we split it up.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Tipping increases our take home pay considerably.

We think of our performance as a two way street, we give something to the audience, they are welcome and reminded to give something back. The club pays us on our weekly gig, but it's understood that folks are encouraged to tip. The bar has beer buckets that the bands use.

What does Venmo get? Say we get$20. What is Venmos part?
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell
Old 11-12-2022, 08:01 AM

Tip jars to me look unprofessional, especially if you are hired to play somewhere. My band generally gets tips by people throwing money on stage. Not ideal but we will take it. I just can’t take to putting up a tip jar.
Old 11-12-2022, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

A related question:
How do you feel about the band/musician sending a member/friend around the audience with tip jar in hand soliciting tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendandsnap View Post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion