The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 AM

Default Punchy Guitar sound?

Hi all,
I'll cut right to the chase (and accuse me of being naive all you wish )
Is there a recording technique used to get a punchy guitar sound?
The sound i'm referring to is that of Back for Good (also boyce avenues version- in fact all of their acoustic guitar work) and Wonderwall to name two.

Now i understand that they're recorded with thousands of ££/$$s of equipment and treated rooms etc, but is there a certain technique for recording strumming and getting 'that' sound?

To my ears my guitar (see sig) sounds a lot muddier (it would do without correct eq) but the individual notes/strings dont seem to POP out quite the same.

Or is it simply a guitar thing? (I know my guitar brand / shape isnt what you'd immediately go for for strumming) -thing is, Boyce Avenuem (at least) use Taylors to 'mime' their videos, and twice when i've seen them live and they sounded great!

Hope someone can help

Thanks!
Callum
Old 02-19-2013, 01:36 PM

The Wonderwall acoustic sounds quite lo-fi to me - very different to the sparkly guitars on the Boyce Avenue track I listened to (Find Me).

If we take the latter as a guide, the secret is: good instrument, good acoustic space, good mics, and a decent, clean pre-amp.

There will no doubt have been some minor buffing and polishing with EQ at the mastering stage, and probably a little bit of compression too, but I think the secret of a good acoustic recording is just a good instrument in a good space and then try to capture that as accurately as you can.

Post some clips if you like.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:51 PM

Thanks for your answer Moon.
I understand theres a lo-fi and sparkly essence difference between the two (try Boyce Avenue Back for Good - sparkly still yes, but thats the strumming kind of thing I was on about ) -i was hoping to illustrate the 'punchy-ness' with them examples

I think i picked up on some double / triple+ tracks too?
Anyway, i thought as much- but thanks for your time

I struggle for free (uninterrupted) recording time at the minute, the topic has been bugging me for a while.
Hopefully soon i'll try to record a quick strumming clip and post it

Callum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD