The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-03-2012, 05:57 PM

Default Pickup in a Hand built guitar

Hey guys, Im building a guitar starting this spring break (next week) and I want to put a Pickup system in it because I will be playing it at church and I would hate to have to sit there with a mic infront of it (I move a lot)

So I want a pickup that is like you see on taylors or martin's where it has the onboard tuner/eq/volume

What would I get?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:54 PM

Hello,
If you want an onboard system, I would recommend the LR Baggs Anthem Stage Pro: http://www.lrbaggs.com/stagepro.htm

One of the best sounding pickup systems in the market today, and more cost effective than comparable Fishman models. I'll be happy to give you a special AGF discount. Please email me if interested.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
Hello,
If you want an onboard system, I would recommend the LR Baggs Anthem Stage Pro: http://www.lrbaggs.com/stagepro.htm

One of the best sounding pickup systems in the market today, and more cost effective than comparable Fishman models. I'll be happy to give you a special AGF discount. Please email me if interested.
Thats what I was looking for! This guitar probably won't be finished till middle of summer so it will be a little bit before I purchase the pickup, I just needed to know where to get one! thanks!!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 AM

Why would you want to spend all that money, time, and energy building a guitar, just to end up cutting a large whole in the side of it for electronics? There are so many pickup options available that do not require such an invasive installation, and many external preamp options that will give great results. A less invasive system that is removable might be better in case you decide you want something different later. Just sayin, seems odd to do that to a guitar you build yourself.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Why would you want to spend all that money, time, and energy building a guitar, just to end up cutting a large whole in the side of it for electronics? There are so many pickup options available that do not require such an invasive installation, and many external preamp options that will give great results. A less invasive system that is removable might be better in case you decide you want something different later. Just sayin, seems odd to do that to a guitar you build yourself.
cause I will be playing that guitar in a setting where its going to alway be plugged in, and I don't like the sound hole pickups. So I want this type where I can control my eq and volume, also to have the tuner and all the tother things... Ive looked into sound hole pickups don't get me wrong. Either way this guitar was getting a sound port or a pickups system, both require a hole so A pickup would be more beneficial to me
Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 PM

I think Rick was talking about barn door (side of guitar) preamps. You could easily stick an anthem or something else that doesn't involve cutting a chunk out of your guitar. Plenty of external pres let you control volume and tone.

2005 Lakewood D54 - Sunrise and Dazzos
2004 Taylor Big Baby - K&K Trinity
SR Technology Jam 400 + QSC K10
TC Electronic 2240
Kurzweil Rumour
(Digitech 2120 for electric duties at home)
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDildy View Post
Thats what I was looking for! This guitar probably won't be finished till middle of summer so it will be a little bit before I purchase the pickup, I just needed to know where to get one! thanks!!
Here you go... best price as far as I know
http://www.revivemusicstore.com/guit...-pickup-system

Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst

Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
cause I will be playing that guitar in a setting where its going to alway be plugged in, and I don't like the sound hole pickups. So I want this type where I can control my eq and volume, also to have the tuner and all the tother things... Ive looked into sound hole pickups don't get me wrong. Either way this guitar was getting a sound port or a pickups system, both require a hole so A pickup would be more beneficial to me
+1
While I understand that many players avoid cutting a barn door on their expensive acoustics, I also understand how certain circumstances warrant an onboard system. Gigging frequently is certainly one of them. And why not? You have all the controls onboard, which simplifies your life quite a bit. Additionally, an onboard system is less expensive than buying the pickup and external preamp separately.

Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst

Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Tre...
I think I understand where you are coming from, and many of us in the past actually enjoyed the better control on-board (barn-door or soundhole-knob adjusted systems) brought over the original 9volt battery under saddle with no controls onboard.

I also understand where Rick is coming from, having used barn door systems for a number of years, and then upgrading to a better sounding systems with more user options without cutting the hole in the side of my guitar.

There is no correlation between side-mounted-electronics and a side-port.

Side ports acoustically enhance the playing experience for the player.

When the barn-door electronics die, if you decide to upgrade to a non-barn-door system, you either leave the dead electronics in it, or you find a way to patch the hole. And I realize that may not matter to you at all.

I decided to install Sound-Board-Tranceducers (SBT) under the bridgeplate plus an internal microphone, in all of my guitars, and then use an outboard preamplifier/blender rather than internal preamp (barn-door or affixed to the back or sides of the inside of the guitar).

I've been amplifying guitars for 35 years and SBTs are more natural, weigh less, impart little or no acoustic impact, and you can switch/upgrade electronics packages at any time. The tone control, and connection to the rest of the sound-world of most external preamps are far superior to the in-guitar systems.

It was the best decision I've made thus far in regards to my pickups and amplification. Best live sound I've ever had, and best acoustic sound possible when I'm not plugged in.

I can make instant tweaks (usually unnecessary, yet always right there next to me on stage) and I reduced the invasiveness of under saddle systems.

I know people who prefer barn door style electronics, and if that's what you want, then use this buffer of time to consider which system to use which will give you the best sound along with the best convenience.

I believe the Baggs Duet with an LB-6 saddle is one of the best side-mounted systems out there. No tuner, but very high quality sound.

Hope this contributes to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification