The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-14-2019, 01:14 PM

Default Got my first real acoustic

Recently I've accidentally started an acoustic duo. It seems to have taken off. Last time I played an acoustic was about 20-25 years ago strumming in church. I've dug out the old Ovation I used back then. It's done the job okay but it sounds kinda boxy.

On a trip, last weekend, my girlfriend and I stopped at a mom and pop music store in Arkansas. I love to stop at the mom and pops when I see them. I played several guitars trying to get a feel for what I did and did not like in an acoustic.

This week she surprised me with a Taylor 714ce LTD Sinker Redwood that I took a liking to. Awesome guitar! Sounds nice and is gorgeous! I can't really say how well it plays because I'm still learning how to play acoustic. But it sure plays fun!

I'm not sure exactly what questions to ask but now that I've gotten a guitar nicer than I would ever buy for myself I want to treat it right and take care of it. I don't know that much about acoustics but I did get a humidifier for it. Based on my schedule it'll get gigged once or twice a week with no down weeks in site for several months. Mostly indoor but an occasional outdoor show. I play pretty hard and do a lot of string bending.

I usually wipe the guitar neck and body at the end of the night to remove sweat and then use some string cleaner to extend how many shows I can do between string changes.

Not sure what else I should do to protect it or what kind of polishes to stay away from.

Been doing music for over 30 years but I'm a noob to this part of it!

Any and all advice is welcome! Thanks!
Old 10-14-2019, 01:20 PM

Congrats on the new ax!!! With acoustic electric, the biggest noob mistakes are regarding batteries. I prefer alkaline. Keep spares on hand and know that having a cable plugged in activates (turns on) the preamp. As long as it's plugged in, the battery is being drawn upon. Enjoy.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your new Taylor! Sounds like a good one...

You're doing all the right stuff so far, although I've never been a fan of putting anything on my strings other than my fingers!

Your Taylor probably came with Elixir strings on it; they have a coating (Gore-Tex) that extends the life of the strings considerably... that's why I use them on my acoustics and electric guitars. Cost a bit more but not that much, considering how much longer the tone lasts for me. I also like how Elixirs feel a bit "slippery"; easy for slides and glissando, much less string noise than any other I've used in the past 50 years...

If you check out different websites on line, you can find "sales" on Elixirs that will bring down the cost to around $11 a set. I prefer the Nanoweb phosphor bronze variety, personally, but they make an 80-20 style as well. I am fond of Strings and Beyond (one of our sponsors here); usually, in late fall/early winter, Elixir will have a "3 for 2" sale; that, coupled with Strings and Beyond's frequent discount/sales can bring the price down pretty low.

For cleaning, I mostly use a soft cloth with one edge dampened with water to take off any sweat or drool from the finish. I don't oil the fretboard but every couple years; I will use some OOOO steel wool to take of any sludge on the fretboard - ALWAYS lightly and with the grain of the wood to avoid scratches.

Sporadically, I will use a cleaner/polish/wax on my instruments; my current favorite is Music Nomad's "One"; great stuff!

If you think of putting a heavier gauge string on the guitar, check with the manufacturer prior... I know that my redwood topped Goodall will NOT take anything heavier than 12's, or light gauge, as that may cause damage to the top (redwood being not as strong/stiff as spruce).

Glad to hear that you're working and that it's fun... if you weren't playing guitar before, what were you playing?
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-15-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post

Glad to hear that you're working and that it's fun... if you weren't playing guitar before, what were you playing?
Thanks for the info Yamaha and Jseth!

Jseth, Ive been playing guitar and/or bass in bands for years... just been an electric guy until now. The acoustic duo thing was an unexpected accident.

A place we played took a liking to us and wanted us back but the bassist and drummer wouldn't play there again because it didn't meet their minimum pay requirements. So they asked the singer and me to play there as a duo. So I dug out the Ovation and a week later we played there.

I guess there were some other venue folks there and we had two other shows the next week and haven't had a week off of playing various venues etc since. After the first few weeks, I bought a looper and that has helped out a lot as the singer doesn't play an instrument.

So, not new to the guitar. Just have to get better at the nuances of acoustic playing. Finger placement and fret noise being less forgiving etc.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:43 PM

Thumbs up

Congrats on the Taylor! Those limited models have such an incredible value, it's like getting a custom guitar for the price of a standard one. I love my Fall LTD 514ce with cedar/granadillo.

Always wanted to try a sinker-rosewood GA. I've played a lot of cedar topped Taylors so it would be fun to see if sinker really is that 'in between' sound from cedar to spruce like I've read.

Taylor does such a great job of having a variety of combinations for different tastes.

Former:
1999 Taylor 314ce
2010 Taylor 614c
2004 Taylor 714
2009 Taylor GA5
2011 Taylor GA7
2021 Taylor 114e
Old 10-15-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Congrats on the new ax!!! With acoustic electric, the biggest noob mistakes are regarding batteries. I prefer alkaline. Keep spares on hand and know that having a cable plugged in activates (turns on) the preamp. As long as it's plugged in, the battery is being drawn upon. Enjoy.
The other important thing to remember is to check on the batteries every now and then. Old batteries tend to leak and will fuse all the internals in the battery box. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Congratulations on your new Taylor! Sounds like a good one...

You're doing all the right stuff so far, although I've never been a fan of putting anything on my strings other than my fingers!

Your Taylor probably came with Elixir strings on it; they have a coating (Gore-Tex) that extends the life of the strings considerably... that's why I use them on my acoustics and electric guitars. Cost a bit more but not that much, considering how much longer the tone lasts for me. I also like how Elixirs feel a bit "slippery"; easy for slides and glissando, much less string noise than any other I've used in the past 50 years...

If you check out different websites on line, you can find "sales" on Elixirs that will bring down the cost to around $11 a set. I prefer the Nanoweb phosphor bronze variety, personally, but they make an 80-20 style as well. I am fond of Strings and Beyond (one of our sponsors here); usually, in late fall/early winter, Elixir will have a "3 for 2" sale; that, coupled with Strings and Beyond's frequent discount/sales can bring the price down pretty low.

For cleaning, I mostly use a soft cloth with one edge dampened with water to take off any sweat or drool from the finish. I don't oil the fretboard but every couple years; I will use some OOOO steel wool to take of any sludge on the fretboard - ALWAYS lightly and with the grain of the wood to avoid scratches.

Sporadically, I will use a cleaner/polish/wax on my instruments; my current favorite is Music Nomad's "One"; great stuff!

If you think of putting a heavier gauge string on the guitar, check with the manufacturer prior... I know that my redwood topped Goodall will NOT take anything heavier than 12's, or light gauge, as that may cause damage to the top (redwood being not as strong/stiff as spruce).

Coated strings are more difficult to bend- With lots of Bending- I might also recommend Martin Flex core strings- I like the mellow sound and lower action that come with Medium gauge strings, so they also won’t bend as easily as light...
Old 10-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Don't know about the guitar, but definitely keep the girlfriend...
Old 10-15-2019, 03:21 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
Coated strings are more difficult to bend- With lots of Bending- I might also recommend Martin Flex core strings- I like the mellow sound and lower action that come with Medium gauge strings, so they also won’t bend as easily as light...
I had picked up Martin Flex Core 12s based upon reading up on strings! Good to have independent verification for them!!! Thanks!
Old 10-15-2019, 03:22 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
Don't know about the guitar, but definitely keep the girlfriend...
Dude.... she's a keeper!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
advice, taylor 714ce ltd