The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-03-2015, 08:19 PM

Default Youtube/Vimeo

I'm a bit puzzled as to why so many folks do their recording on youtube rather than Vimeo. It seems to me the audio is better on Vimeo, no?
Old 12-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
I'm a bit puzzled as to why so many folks do their recording on youtube rather than Vimeo. It seems to me the audio is better on Vimeo, no?
The listeners/watchers are on You Tube. Also more content, so more watchers, so more content....

After You Tube initially had bad audio (low bandwidth mono) and bad video, these days, the quality seems fine to me now.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The listeners/watchers are on You Tube. Also more content, so more watchers, so more content....

After You Tube initially had bad audio (low bandwidth mono) and bad video, these days, the quality seems fine to me now.
Vimeo sounds pretty good too, Doug!

https://vimeo.com/5115050
Old 12-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Vimeo sounds pretty good too, Doug!

https://vimeo.com/5115050
For sure, I have some things on vimeo, and I first posted there out of frustration over you tube's quality. (I just went to see if my videos are still there - they seem to have disappeared). But vimeo has limits on how much you can post without paying, if I recall. And more importantly, I'm not sure I got so much as a single view there. I do see that Fran has a video - same video - on both Vimeo and You Tube. He has 744 views on vimeo, over 8000 on You Tube. So I suspect most people want to post where they have a better chance of being seen.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Not only that, but many people using macs with either Yosemite or El Capitan as their 0S and Safari for internet connectivity are having trouble getting the fullscreen button on youtube videos to work. There are several workarounds that add extra steps or the Safari window can be reduced. The fullscreen button works fine on Vimeo videos regardless of Safari window size. It may be a small thing but it is annoying. Here's a link that explains the issue.
https://productforums.google.com/for...be/wKnIFyuqhUk
Old 12-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Not only that, but many people using macs with either Yosemite or El Capitan as their 0S and Safari for internet connectivity are having trouble getting the fullscreen button on youtube videos to work. There are several workarounds that add extra steps or the Safari window can be reduced. The fullscreen button works fine on Vimeo videos regardless of Safari window size. It may be a small thing but it is annoying. Here's a link that explains the issue.
https://productforums.google.com/for...be/wKnIFyuqhUk
Interesting, I did not realize Safari was having an issue. I use El Cap and Chrome on this mac and have no problem

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-28-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Interesting, I did not realize Safari was having an issue. I use El Cap and Chrome on this mac and have no problem
The weird thing is that it suddenly started happening to me a couple of weeks ago. My OS is Yosemite (came installed on the 2015, 15" MBP I bought in the summer and haven't upgraded yet). There was no problem for several months and then one day I clicked the youtube fullscreen button and got a thick black border around an upper left hand view of the video. You can see what I'm talking about if you click the link I included. (Ignore this last sentence if you've already done that).
This problem does not occur on any other video hosting websites I visit.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
For sure, I have some things on vimeo, and I first posted there out of frustration over you tube's quality. (I just went to see if my videos are still there - they seem to have disappeared). But vimeo has limits on how much you can post without paying, if I recall. And more importantly, I'm not sure I got so much as a single view there. I do see that Fran has a video - same video - on both Vimeo and You Tube. He has 744 views on vimeo, over 8000 on You Tube. So I suspect most people want to post where they have a better chance of being seen.
I tried Vimeo because the content creators at the video forums I visited seemed to prefer it. As Doug says, at that time Vimeo seemed slightly ahead in the quality of their streaming.

But Vimeo had/has limits on HD content uploads unless one paid for an upgraded membership. Then YouTube upgraded their audio and video quality and have continued to do so, to the point that they have surpassed Vimeo. And Vimeo streaming seemed to have more issues than YouTube, which seems to be the case even today.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-28-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I tried Vimeo because the content creators at the video forums I visited seemed to prefer it. As Doug says, at that time Vimeo seemed slightly ahead in the quality of their streaming.

But Vimeo had/has limits on HD content uploads unless one paid for an upgraded membership. Then YouTube upgraded their audio and video quality and have continued to do so, to the point that they have surpassed Vimeo. And Vimeo streaming seemed to have more issues than YouTube, which seems to be the case even today.

Fran
Fullscreen mode for at least some Mac/Safari users notwithstanding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD