The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 AM

Default anyone switched out pickup/saddle on Yamaha AC1?

I got this guitar a little while ago and am pretty happy with it overall, but contemplating a pickup upgrade.

The K&K pure mini seems highly regarded, affordable, and easy to install. I also hear it's pretty good for tapping/percussion on the top, which is a plus. Any other suggestions? And if anyone's done a similar upgrade, what did you do with the old electronics--just leave them in?

If I install this pickup I'd also be interested in removing the UST, but then I guess I'd want a slightly taller saddle to compensate. I read in a previous thread that Yamaha can provide drop-in saddles for these models; does anyone have experience with this? If so, how much work was required to fit them?
Old 06-12-2019, 02:23 PM

I’ve always regarded the SRT pickup as the best I’ve played. Better than LR Baggs and the ES pickup.

Anyway from my experience, the Yamaha saddles were poorly fit, too loose and were just generic plastic. I’ve got bone saddles from MacNichols that were a perfect drop in, with the compensation and right radius. You could also try Tusq, but since the K&K makes no contact with the saddle, bone is fine

Does your guitar have the barndoor or knobs for controls?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
I’ve always regarded the SRT pickup as the best I’ve played. Better than LR Baggs and the ES pickup.

Anyway from my experience, the Yamaha saddles were poorly fit, too loose and were just generic plastic. I’ve got bone saddles from MacNichols that were a perfect drop in, with the compensation and right radius. You could also try Tusq, but since the K&K makes no contact with the saddle, bone is fine

I second the bone saddles from macnichol.com. You can buy them direct, on Ebay or on Amazon. $15. SOMETIMES they are a drop in, but there may be some fitting required. Macnichol includes a 100 grit piece of sand paper for fitting the both width and height of the saddle. Just use a guide to keep the edges square and it's simple. I've fitted three of them and it took me (with no experience) about 15 minutes for each with no previous experience.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-14-2019, 10:14 AM

Many thanks for the advice! Sounds like these MacNichols saddles are exactly what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post

With regard to the SRT, do you mean the SRT Piezo or the SRT2 system? I hear great things about the latter, which I believe is standard on AC3 and up, but my (cheaper) model comes equipped with the former, which is nothing to write home about. Knobs are on the barndoor/box, FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I second the bone saddles from macnichol.com. You can buy them direct, on Ebay or on Amazon. $15. SOMETIMES they are a drop in, but there may be some fitting required. Macnichol includes a 100 grit piece of sand paper for fitting the both width and height of the saddle. Just use a guide to keep the edges square and it's simple. I've fitted three of them and it took me (with no experience) about 15 minutes for each with no previous experience.
All right, sounds like that falls within the limits of my (very limited) adjustment skills--though I might want to pick up a spare just in case. Much appreciated!
Old 06-14-2019, 11:11 AM

My mistake, I still assumed the 1 series had the mic modelling, just less of the ability to manipulate it and mix it.So you have the older version which means their saddles are plastic and it’s a good decision to change them.

If you get the saddles from MacNichol, you have 4 different visual options. One is a Taylor wave style compensation or one with the standard compensation shape. Each comes in the natural or dyed bone colour!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, yamaha ac1