The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 AM

How about a little flame maple?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

has anyone got this guitar? or have perhaps come across another better suited to the percussive style of playing?

I have seen a load of folks using cedar top stonebridges for Procussive style Playing

Check this link out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNw9Y...A233726A59B6BC

This is a G23cr-c. Great guitar.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
has anyone got this guitar? or have perhaps come across another better suited to the percussive style of playing?

I have seen a load of folks using cedar top stonebridges for Procussive style Playing

Check this link out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNw9Y...A233726A59B6BC

This is a G23cr-c. Great guitar.
As Marcel is in Australia, that will affect his options. So far as cedar topped guitars for percussive style, I wouldn't - just because cedar is soft and won't hold up to repeated blows. Whereas, Tommy Emmanuel pounds on his Maton with great vigor.

I suppose it comes down to what Marcel means by percussive technique. I took it to mean percussive blows on the body of the guitar as on a percussion instrument. I realize he may have meant what I think of as tapping - using both hands to tap on the fingerboard, simultaneously fretting and sounding the string. If the latter, my objection to cedar does not apply.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Hey Raf

Good and important distinction. I agree cedar would not be great for body slamming.
But for tapping it does work great on (Very dynamic)

Curious to know what Marcel means by Percussive
Old 10-15-2013, 12:16 PM

Carbon fiber? It should take the hardest taps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNpIoCuvHfg
Old 10-15-2013, 07:48 PM

appeared in wrong thread

Last edited by MarcelClaude; 10-16-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: popped up in wrong thread
Old 10-15-2013, 07:59 PM

I know nothing about this, so I have no basis for a opinion, but in the tradition of this and other forums, I won't let that slow me down.

We have a couple of Composite Acoustic Legacy's -- dread sized with good electronics. They actually make quire a good acoustic guitar, and you can hit them with a hammer if you like.

Just a thought.

Best,

-Tom
Old 10-16-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
Can you describe in a little more detail what you mean by "percussive technique"?
Im trying to play along the lines of Thomas Leeb. Where there is independent movements by each hand, i.e, my left hand plays a melody by hammering on and pulling off (tapping style) and my right creates a beat on the body of the guitar. There is overlap where i will hit the strings with my thumb to create rhythm as well.

A good example would be Newtown Faulkners version of teardrop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjT86g9gTKk

Last edited by MarcelClaude; 10-16-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 10-17-2013, 12:49 AM

here is a video of me playing. Not overly percussive in this song. Its an original from my band/ acoustic duo "Him & Her" called 'Wandering'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2WXwBlwZls

Any tips and feedback on the song would be greatly appreciated! thanks
Old 10-17-2013, 12:57 AM

Do you mean flamenco guitar?

Oh, never mind, you are talking about the easy stuff. For harmonically and rhythmically simple percussive playing, anything with steel strings and a wood body will work fine. Use an open tuning and practice until you become a novice hand-percussionist and you will have all the skills you need.

Ok... I am just being a jerk. I really do enjoy the modern "percussive" style of "famous" YouTube guitarists, and I don't use those quotes to be "overly" sarcastic. I just wish that flamenco guitar, which is more difficult in every way (rhythmically, percussively, and melodically ), was more palatable to more people. I can understand why it isn't.

Please, don't mind me. This is more a comment on myself than the people that make wonderful music by playing the steel string guitar in an atypical way. I play hand drums (specifically Djembe and Bongos) and pretend to play flamenco guitar and see this style as a simplification of both (musically and technically), but is certainly a nice combination when done well.

So, I don't have an answer to the topic question other than my own sadness. Move along.

Last edited by Special B; 10-17-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelClaude View Post
Im trying to play along the lines of Thomas Leeb.
Why don't you consider the Thomas Leeb signature model Lowden? It comes stock with the scratch plate already added to the upper bout, treble side (mentioned earlier by Rickyuk) and has all of the features Thomas deemed necessary for his playing style.
that's me on guitar
Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 AM

I'm not sure that there is a best but my opinion, you would want something with a snappy attack. Maneli Jamal is an amazing player and does some percussive stuff. He uses a Taylor 800 series and multiple Cole Clarks. Sounds great on all of them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/maneli?feature=watch

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, maton, new guitar, percussive, percussive guitar