The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-08-2019, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Regarding the cost of Ozone, Ozone Elements is not terribly expensive and works very well as a mastering system. $129.

- Glenn
If you keep an eye on iZotope, they run fantastic sales. I picked up Ozone 8 for less than that.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Thanks folks, for all the input and info.

Jim, yea I was combining mixing/mastering I guess, at least the way I conveyed it in my writing. I totally understand they are separate processes. Whenever I finish my next cd I will definitely hand it off to someone else for mixing, then mastering. I guess this is more for my own self knowledge, and to make my less serious recordings I might post here or on youtube sound their best.

Doug, thanks for the explanation and clarification on compression vs limiting, and the maximizer. I am just learning about all that stuff.

Since I already own a few Fab Filter products I get a bit of a discount on their Limiter, so I might pick that up.

I thought about Ozone, but to use it within your DAW as a plugin you have to get the Advanced version which is $500. I guess Elements could work as a standalone thing. Do my mixing in Logic, export wav file, then import into Ozone for the mastering bit. Elements is actually on sale for $50 for one more day.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Of note is that various plugins give their best sound when input to them is well below clipping level. Keep input levels well down below clipping level while you are still
at work in the daw. If you must you can boost levels up to near clipping (and blast everyone's ears like your typical merchandise advertiser does) as a last step.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-09-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Regarding the cost of Ozone, Ozone Elements is not terribly expensive and works very well as a mastering system. $129.

- Glenn
It's on sale for $90 at Plugin Boutique.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-09-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Of note is that various plugins give their best sound when input to them is well below clipping level. Keep input levels well down below clipping level...
One common ploy is to use two instances of a limiter plugin in series, to divvy up the work. If you do that, make sure to bring down the output level of the first limiter, to put it in the comfort zone of the one that follows.

Couch Standards
Old 07-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post

I thought about Ozone, but to use it within your DAW as a plugin you have to get the Advanced version which is $500. I guess Elements could work as a standalone thing. Do my mixing in Logic, export wav file, then import into Ozone for the mastering bit. Elements is actually on sale for $50 for one more day.
I think maybe you're confusing Ozone with RX? As far as I know, Ozone is only a plugin, and even the Elements version that's apparently on sale should work inside Logic just like in my demo.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

I could very possibly be wrong, but from what I understand looking at this chart under the Maximizer section you have to get Advanced for it to be available as a plugin.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...omparison.html
Old 07-09-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

I have the full version, so I'm not certain about the elements, but I think what they're referring to is "modules" vs individual plugins. The way I usually use Ozone is across the mastering buss, and bring up the Ozone plugin, in which I can chain multiple modules. Some of those modules are also available as individual plugins, so I could select, say, just the EQ to put on a track. How is a single EQ plugin different from creating the Ozone plugin and just loading the one EQ module? Not clear that there's any real difference. In any case, I don't think you have to run Ozone as a standalone program, you should be able to use it as a plugin right in Logic.

There is a trial version you can download to see if it works.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I could very possibly be wrong, but from what I understand looking at this chart under the Maximizer section you have to get Advanced for it to be available as a plugin.

You get a version with the elements package. It doesn't have all the functions of the full version, but I mastered an entire album with the scaled down version and it was great. Using the elements version sold me on spending money for the advanced upgrade when it came on sale but the scaled back version kicks butt. Don't shy away from it.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-09-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Ozone Elements and Ozone Standard is a single plugin into which you can put one or several of the available modules (e.g., EQ, dynamics, maximizer, etc.). You cannot use the single modules as plugins on their own as an insert in a single track for example.

Ozone Advanced also can be used as above but each module is also available separately as a plugin all by itself.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:57 PM
Eric Skye

I've been diggin' the Waves L2 Ultramaximizer
Old 07-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I am using Ozone Elements as a plug-in in Cubase 10 Pro. I also used in Cubase Studio 5.

- Glenn
Old 07-09-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I've been diggin' the Waves L2 Ultramaximizer
Yes! I've found the L2 to be a great level enhancer with exceptional transparency. It's always the last active, processing plugin on my mastering chain; just before my meters.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-09-2019, 08:26 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
....It's always the last active, processing plugin on my mastering chain; just before my meters.
Me too. Not that I am an expert at any of this -I’m still learning for sure. The L2 was a game changer for me. And an inexpensive one at that!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Ah ok that makes sense. I wonder why I thought about it the other way. It looks like iZotope's big sale is over, so oh well for now. Maybe Ill pick up the Fab Filter Limiter since I like their stuff, or the Ultramaxmizer Eric mentioned.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD