The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

I have purchased a few sets of wood for future guitars, but only species that are exceptionally rare (at least in sizes suitable for a guitar). I am a tree freak (and former forester), and I like the idea of having a guitar made of truly unique wood. I care very much about sound, but resale value in such a case is not my concern. For instance, I found a good set of Pau Santo (Zollernia paraensis) and I bought it. It was once used by luthiers in Europe and Brazil, but is basically unheard of in the US. I doubt there is a luthier in the US with sets of it. John Kinnaird was game to try it, and he built me what I consider to be an outstanding guitar (one of two outstanding instruments of his that I have).

In general, however, I assume that most any luthier will have vastly better tonewood than I could find, and infinitely better judgement about what is a good set. If I do ask if a luthier would use my "weird" wood, I put the decision completely in their hands. If it is not up to their standards, end of discussion. We use something else. I only want a luthier to do something for me that they are excited about. If I was in your situation, looking for a really nice redwood/brazilian guitar, I would identify a couple luthiers I really wanted to work with, inquire about their tonewood stash (e.g. do you have nice sets of Lucky Strike redwood), and put down a deposit.

If you have Humboldt connections, maybe you do have access to special redwood. Sinker redwood can be hit or miss - it can be great or terrible.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
Tonewood selection definitely isn't rocket science. Yes, many of us prefer not to use customer supplied wood but those are mostly financial issues. There are a number of excellent tonewood suppliers to the lutherie community and there's no difference between a customer buying the wood or a builder. These dealers supplied tonewood that has already been seasoned and is ready to be used for a build. eBay is not reputable - so don't look there.

Make sure the wood is stored in an appropriate environment and it's fine. In terms of noticing quality. Just look for clean, quartersawn grain. You can learn to identify musical quality sets in no time with a bit of effort or talking to a builder. Feel free to drop me a line.

However, it isn't worth the effort unless you obtain something truly special that will be difficult to acquire at a later date. Also, make sure that whomever you select to build your guitar is okay with you supplying your own tonewood. Most of us don't want to use customer supplied wood.

Hard to beat this response. You can certainly get lucky w EBay as some reputable sellers do sell there, but on the whole I agree w Mr. Fay.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh View Post
I'm thinking of buying some wood, Rosewood and Redwood, and just putting it in the garage for now
I agree with most of what Simon has said but first find a builder willing to build with your wood because they are likely far and few between. The second point I want to emphasize is storing tonewood is NOT for the beginner UNLESS you have a 24/7 climate controlled wood room that can maintain an accurate temperature and humidity control or your investment will likely end up looking like a potato chip and then no veteran luthier in their right mind would ever build with your wood! Think this through because in the end you may be left with expensive wood only suitable for your brisket smoker
Old 04-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Think this through because in the end you may be left with expensive wood only suitable for your brisket smoker

Both Tim and I recommend that you procure a nice Western Red Cedar top because it pairs wonderfully with Salmon.

Last edited by Simon Fay; 04-13-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Tonewood selection definitely isn't rocket science. Yes, many of us prefer not to use customer supplied wood but those are mostly financial issues. There are a number of excellent tonewood suppliers to the lutherie community and there's no difference between a customer buying the wood or a builder. These dealers provide tonewood that has already been seasoned and is ready to be used for a build. eBay is not reputable - so don't look there.

Make sure the wood is stored in an appropriate environment and it's fine. In terms of noticing quality. Just look for clean, quartersawn grain. You can learn to identify musical quality sets in no time with a bit of effort or talking to a builder. Feel free to drop me a line.

However, it isn't worth the effort unless you obtain something truly special that will be difficult to acquire at a later date. Also, make sure that whomever you select to build your guitar is okay with you supplying your own tonewood. Most of us don't want to use customer supplied wood.
Simon, as always your answer is refreshingly honest. Thank you.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Both Tim and I recommend that you procure a nice Western Red Cedar top because it pairs wonderfully with Salmon.
hahahaha this is great - thank you for that, Simon!
Old 04-15-2019, 04:46 AM

I will not recommend buying sets of wood and storing them in anticipation of commissioning a build at some subsequent point in time. Unless of course one is interested in learning to build a guitar.

I have tried to independently procure the wood myself for the Luthier on three occasions and only one of those occasions I would say was an unqualified success. One other time the Luthier didn't even use the set of wood that I had bought as he did not consider the wood good enough while the remaining time was also not really worth the effort in my opinion because I do not think that the set of would really make that much of a difference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop