The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-19-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Those pictures are amazing! I stopped by yesterday, but only saw the koa after final sanding and before that last coat of varnish went on, and even in the matte, it looked pretty great, but that last coat really makes the color and flame pop! Can’t wait til its fully cured and set-up so I might get a chance to play it -

But I did get a chance to play the new braz OM, and I really love it - its got a clarity and sparkle thats uniquely braz rw, but the notes blend together so sweetly. Hoping it sticks around in Bruces shop a little longer so I can spend a bit more time playing it - he just keeps raising the bar!

I think you just hit on something that is hard for me to describe, but my Sexauer, which I believe you played, is the same way, the notes blend together and yet are distinct unlike any other guitar I own. I think that is the Bruce Mojo...

BTW TJ....you are welcome to come to next year's party, we are all mostly average players with several very good ones, but it is not like we all sat around and played for each other, it was a show with wonderful guitars to buy and play and then performances to enjoy. There is no pressure to play at all and plenty of quiet places to go off on your own and try things out.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

I really like that koa 000. The koa on the back of the headstock with the dart volute looks pretty sharp.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Only 6 years after building it for the Healdsburg show in 2013, I found a buyer for the MagCat and shipped it about 10 days ago.

This guitar was made to demonstrate that the wood choices influence on a guitar pales in comparison to the builder's influence. Tulip Magnolia (Poplar) was used for the back and sides and Catalpa for the sound board, and yet it sounds very much like one of my regular guitars. In fact it is definitely not below average IMO. It is definitely green in color, however, and not what people are used to.

Anyway, I got this note today:

Bruce,

Just a quick follow-up: loving the guitar, it’s definitely a keeper for me. I’m finding myself rushing home every day to play it. <a BIG thumbs up>

Please keep doing what you’re doing -it makes a difference.

Thanks again & take care.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Only 6 years after building it for the Healdsburg show in 2013, I found a buyer for the MagCat and shipped it about 10 days ago.

This guitar was made to demonstrate that the wood choices influence on a guitar pales in comparison to the builder's influence. Tulip Magnolia (Poplar) was used for the back and sides and Catalpa for the sound board, and yet it sounds very much like one of my regular guitars. In fact it is definitely not below average IMO. It is definitely green in color, however, and not what people are used to.

Anyway, I got this note today:

Bruce,

Just a quick follow-up: loving the guitar, it’s definitely a keeper for me. I’m finding myself rushing home every day to play it. <a BIG thumbs up>

Please keep doing what you’re doing -it makes a difference.

Thanks again & take care.
That guitar was/is awesome. It only took forever to sell because of the oddball woods.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:27 AM

Liking oddball woods, I was sorely tempted and succumbed to the other magnolia (Southern magnolia). Lookswise, I couldn't decide and decided I needed to see it before I could decide upon it. But Bruce is a continent away and I am certainly satisfied with the one I did get - no regrets... but I'll always wonder....

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's a note of invitation I just sent out to the NCAL (Northern California Association of Luthiers) membership. This "meeting" is open to any who are interested. Most of the last couple of year's meeting have taken place in my shop, this meeting's space is considerably larger. If any of you are buyers (more than a few interesting handmade guitars) and want to share, I'd like to hear about it.

Sunday, July 7, 2019 -- 1PM through 5PM

NCALadians,

This may be a new record for advance notice on a meeting! That will help explain why I do not yet have all the details. Tad Larid, our in-house videographer, has a warehouse in Oakland, freshly acquired, and before he completely fills it with "stuff" we will use it at least once for our meeting space. I have been there, and found it good, or at least good enough. Tad uses the space in part for rehearsing his band, "The Elmwoods", and that part of the space seems quite comfortable. In the next email, I promise to know the address.

For the presentation, we have discussed having actual guitar buyers come and talk about their process. Understanding this end of our work in one of the main shortcomings of the profession, and should be of great interest to all. Well, it certainly is to me!

The meeting format will be the usual thing: 1 to 2 is the schmooze. the meeting starts at 2pm sharpish. Invocation. New Faces introduction. Business. Show and tell. Presentation. Ejection from the building.

Bring seating if you want it. Food/drink if you're a humanitarian. Friends if you think they can stand it.

I will have more to say in a few days.

the prez,
Bruce
Old 06-30-2019, 01:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have a weather dependent regular Saturday night gig singing/playing Swing/Jazz at Le Chalet Basque, a restaurant in Santa Venetia on North San Pedro Road, just a mile east of 101. Last night my wife Linda arranged to have a bunch of friends attend, at least one with camera skills. Also, my long time friend Richard Saslow sat in for about half the gig. He plays at least as well as I do, so it was a real treat for me. If you are local and want to come sometime, make sure the weather is good as it is outdoors, and also call for a reservation in the Patio, as it tends to be fully booked.

This couple has been engaged for a week! The groom to be is Tadol's son, Michael.

Speaking of Tad (our photographer), here he is with my wife, Linda:

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 06-30-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:50 PM

Looks like a wonderful venue! Did Tad doing any recording?
Old 06-30-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

We had a wonderful dinner, and the background music was very tasteful, but the environment did not lend itself to any kind of reasonable recording - I can give it a try next time, just to make sure I'm not making poor assumptions -
Old 06-30-2019, 06:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Pretty sure the outdoor restaurant venue would be lousy for recording. Beyond that, Richard and I are a "had to be there" type thing as we are playing mostly unrehearsed swing standards improvisationally. The goal is to be back ground music for most diners, yet worth the time for any who want to actually listen. I thought we had some really nice moments.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 07-01-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I think you just hit on something that is hard for me to describe, but my Sexauer, which I believe you played, is the same way, the notes blend together and yet are distinct unlike any other guitar I own. I think that is the Bruce Mojo...

BTW TJ....you are welcome to come to next year's party, we are all mostly average players with several very good ones, but it is not like we all sat around and played for each other, it was a show with wonderful guitars to buy and play and then performances to enjoy. There is no pressure to play at all and plenty of quiet places to go off on your own and try things out.
Tom, thanks for the gracious invitation. As a matter of fact, I just retired (albeit a bit younger than average), so I'll have some open time available!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 06-30-2019, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Smile Recording outside...

Quote:
We had a wonderful dinner, and the background music was very tasteful, but the environment did not lend itself to any kind of reasonable recording - I can give it a try next time, just to make sure I'm not making poor assumptions -
I have given up on getting a good recording in a restaurant or bar. The background noise levels are almost always impossible to deal with.

It would be heaven to invite a bunch of friends to a studio and set it up as a concert. I much prefer playing to people than a red light! Haha

Cindy and I both really enjoyed your performances at B.I.G.!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I have given up on getting a good recording in a restaurant or bar. The background noise levels are almost always impossible to deal with.
I have zero expectations of getting a good recording, but its a great excuse to give my wife to change a “desire” into a “need” -

“But honey, I promised the forum I’d get a recording - we need to go for dinner again - “

Old 07-01-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I have zero expectations of getting a good recording, but its a great excuse to give my wife to change a “desire” into a “need” -

“But honey, I promised the forum I’d get a recording - we need to go for dinner again - “

Aww... ..the recording did not turn out like I wanted. Maybe go back and try again?
Old 07-11-2019, 03:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default FT-000-es Koa/AmerRed

I've been catching up on domestic infrastructure while the Koa/Adi 000's oil varnish finish cures. Today I blocked the surface with 1500 grit and buffed it. Later today I will glue the neck to the body. I hope these pictures look nearly as good as reality. I am a dreamer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop