The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-08-2018, 07:19 AM

Does anyone have or has anyone played the Al Pettaway Rainsong?

Anyone try this one: https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....ctronics.html#

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 09-08-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:00 AM

Hi Lisa!
Great to see you here!
I bought a used Shorty FT from a forum member here a while back and I love it! It’s my favorite guitar by far. I put a pick-guard on it to minimize the ‘scratchy’ sound from the finish. It’s perfect for the work I do with kids and elders and at camps. Worry free, comfy to play, stays in tune forever, sounds great unplugged and amplified. I love the onboard electronics with the tuner. I use Elixer Nanoweb PB lights and they last forever.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:57 AM

I have a Rainsong jazz guitar, made I believe in the original factory. Two humbuckers and a piezo in the bridge. Very good neck. Great guitar to play. I've not used it much lately, I must go and get it out. Thanks for thr nudge!
Old 09-08-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
I have a Rainsong jazz guitar, made I believe in the original factory. Two humbuckers and a piezo in the bridge. Very good neck. Great guitar to play. I've not used it much lately, I must go and get it out. Thanks for thr nudge!
That sounds like the elusive Russ Freeman model!
Old 09-08-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Wow nice..I have only seen photos of such things.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-08-2018, 12:51 PM

I have a Shorty with marine burst and a WS-1000. Both fantastic guitars, and like someone earlier, I found they “fit” me better than the X20, especially my Shorty which is still my favorite CF I have. That said, that X20 sounded awesome!
Old 09-08-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
.....I found they “fit” me better than the X20, especially my Shorty which is still my favorite CF I have. That said, that X20 sounded awesome!
I've said this before; Emerald would do well to release a production model X20 with a 12 fret to body/ 24.875 scale guitar. The big chamber with the wonderful Emerald contours, the OS sound hole projecting to the player, paired with the intimate scale would be fingerstyle heaven.

Hey I can dream right? Would anyone else here buy one besides me?
Old 09-08-2018, 01:09 PM

Steelvibe, that sure sounds like a winning formula to me. Maybe Alistair is listening....... I bought the Blackbird Lucky 13 specifically because of the shorter 24.75" scale and the smaller 00 sized body for comfort. The 13th fret body join is not an issue either, because there is no neck heel. I play all the way up to 15-17 with no problems.

I have a custom X20-12 with 24.6" scale length - very comfy to play for a twelve string - I played it for 75 minutes straight just the other night. I'm also the happy new owner of Frettingflyer's former X20, so that would probably take me out of the running for your production model. I'm now pretty much set for this lifetime.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:12 PM

A RainSong Shorty. I've played a used JM-1000 at a local GC and it was amazingly comfortable sitting on my lap for a jumbo guitar. LOUD! However, I don't like the N1 nearly as much as the NS neck design.

The Shorty on the other hand has been an amazing instrument for me. I love the clarity of trebles and mids you get- wonderful for solo work and for cutting through the mix in ensembles!
Old 09-08-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Post a picture of this!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-08-2018, 02:29 PM

Ted from LA Guitars sent me this email today as I am interested in the differences in these particular models, have a look!

"The Al Petaway model is very similar to your SG-FLE but the all carbon fiber back and sides do add a little punch. It also has upgraded electronics and tuners which is a nice touch.

The CH-PA parlor has a smaller body than your SG, it's based on the Martin size 0 so it sounds a bit boxy with a more fundamental tone than your SG. Interestingly enough there is no noticeable loss in volume.

The CO-WS1005NS features the larger grand auditorium body so it will have a fuller voice with more low end. It also has the offset soundhole which tends to emphasize the bass but it's still nicely balanced. Think of it as a bigger more powerful SG.

If you're thinking of adding another Rainsong to your arsenal I don't think the Petaway would bring much to the table, but either of the other two could make a nice addition."

Ted
LA Guitar Sales
9028 Sunset Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90069
(310) 246-1933 - www.laguitarsales.com

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-08-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post

The CO-WS1005NS features the larger grand auditorium body so it will have a fuller voice with more low end. It also has the offset soundhole which tends to emphasize the bass but it's still nicely balanced.
Last time I visited LA Guitar Sales I played on of the WS-1005 models. I am used to offset soundhole models having a bit more bass presence than center soundhole models but did not find that to be the case.

On the other hand, it had the factory 80/20 strings on it, and I don't like 80/20s.

I could definitely see owning one though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
Does anyone have or has anyone played the Al Pettaway Rainsong?
I have one, my only CF guitar. Very nice, I've even performed with it, works great plugged in.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I've said this before; Emerald would do well to release a production model X20 with a 12 fret to body/ 24.875 scale guitar. The big chamber with the wonderful Emerald contours, the OS sound hole projecting to the player, paired with the intimate scale would be fingerstyle heaven.

Hey I can dream right? Would anyone else here buy one besides me?
Yep. I love my X20 with the stock scale, but I was impressed enough with Earl's X20-12 with the 24.6" scale that I ordered an X10 with that scale. If I were to change one thing on my X20, it would be for a slightly shorter scale.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:10 PM
Guest 928

Nylon string parlor. Michael turned me on to it and gave me a great deal. Love it. It doesn't have quite the percussion of a classical nylon strung guitar, but it has tonal qualities that are just sweet. The only thing I don't like about it is the narrow nut. But I've gotten used to that and the guitar has maintained a stead residence in my music room.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber