The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-03-2018, 06:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

September 3: Rosette building.

Whatever happened to this thread? Sorry, with all the fun on StevieD’s and Stan’s thread, this one has gotten short shrift. But it’s still here. This will soon be a ball and lozenge rosette.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-04-2018, 04:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

That is going to be a very tasty rosette.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Of course why would someone just want one Maple guitar? Here’s the CS that’s coming along as well.

Wowzers Ryan,

I love this Maple back. I know that, for various reasons, Maple has a lingering reputation as a less-than-wonderful tonewood...though I also see custom builders chipping away at that bad rep, and proving that Maple is, in fact, a wonderful option.

In your experience, have you guys found anything that needs to be done differently, when using Maple, in order to maximize its potential?

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-04-2018, 07:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Joel, there’s nothing magical about how to work Maple to make it a great tonewood; it is a great tonewood. It’s very stable typically so you may be able to work it thinner than other woods. The reputation unfortunately comes from a time when factories were already turning out subpar guitars of every tonewood type. It just happened that that’s when many turned to maple as their primary alternative.

Some of the best guitars I’ve heard by great builders have been maple. Have no fear trying it out.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop