The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Yes, you can monitor as you record. With the H4, you can monitor a previously recorded track while you record an additional track.
These are especially critical when recording in an uncontrolled environment, like concerts and recitals. I probably (OK, I do) look dorky wearing headphones at a recital, but it really helps to get the optimal recording level, and adjust for differences in dynamics of pieces and performers. You may be 15-20 feet away from your recorder in these instances, and you need long cords or extensions. Zoom's remote comes with an extension that gives you extra distance.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Since the H1 is not yet available we can only surmise based on the specs and description at the Zoom site… The H1 does not have a Line In connector, so that came off the list…
According to its Japanese site, the Zoom H1 does accept line inputs via its 1/8" microphone jack.

Roland's Edirol R09HR or R-05 seem worthy of consideration. The R-05 is less expensive, but I don't think it has that handy remote. However, like the Zoom H2, you should be able to just set it down and record without a tripod.

For myself, I took a leap of faith and pre-ordered the Zoom H1 mostly because I like the price (although Amazon has a pretty good deal on the H2).
Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Cuyler, we'll need a full review, of course. Hope it fits your needs perfectly!

cotten
Old 07-10-2010, 10:01 AM

I've used the discontinued H4 and own an H2. I found the interface for the H4 to be frustratingly overcomplicated. Meanwhile the H2 was easy to use and yes even comes with its own little removable stand and microphone handle. I you want to use a mic stand/boom the latter is good to have.

As for using the H2 as a plug-in USB-type device to record in realtime I'd advise against it. You have to download a special ASIO driver for it and it almost completely messed up my PC's audio card settings. I think it's better to just record with the unit as a standalone and import the raw tracks to your editing software via USB. The real beauty of these Zoom recorders after all is that they're portable and - provided the space you're recording in is ideally suited to for recording cleanly - produce reasonably good quality. Good enough for youtube certainly though I'm not sure about for CD quality though I'd hazard a guess that a few of the AGF CD submissions were done with Zooms.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

I just ordered an H2 today. Hope to get it in time to try the line inputs to record the church service this weekend. (Its my turn to run audio).

I also have a video shoot on Saturday and will set it up as a backup audio source....
Old 07-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
If I didn't occasionally need to use external mics, I'd have chosen the H2.

cotten
So whats the Ext Mic jack for on my H2?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 PM

I suppose you already know the answer to that, and that you already know that the H4N has two mic jacks that will accept either XLR or 1/4". If you're happy with your H2, I certainly won't try to talk you out of it. It's a fine recorder. But I wouldn't expect it to do what the H4N can, and the extra flexibility of the H2's big brother is what attracted me to it.

Here's a blurb from the H4N's web site.
Quote:
Everyone knows that proper miking is essential to making a great recording. The H4n is the only handheld recorder that allows you to record on four channels simultaneously by using its onboard mics with either external mics or direct inputs. You can then use its built-in mixer to blend the channels for perfectly balanced recordings. Now your recordings can be richer than ever before.
SCREENSHOT OF 4-CHANNEL MODE

Or, to get a great recording of a live performance, use the H4n’s onboard mics to get a room mix while simultaneously recording a stereo mix from the mixing board for a live recording that is easily one of the best you’ve ever heard.
Yes, the H2 does have an external mic jack. If that is sufficient for your needs, more power to you. If not, I'd suggest looking into the H4N - I'm happy with mine.

cotten
Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
I just ordered an H2 today. Hope to get it in time to try the line inputs to record the church service this weekend. (Its my turn to run audio).

I also have a video shoot on Saturday and will set it up as a backup audio source....
Based on my experience you will not be successful if you take normal line output to the line in of the Zoom H2. The H2 line in is much too sensitive. The recording level using the front controls is post A/D, so if your source overloads the analog input and/or the A/D converter, the recording level control can only adjust how loud the horrible clipping noise is.

If you can get your feed from a headphone output or aux out that has a level control you'll be OK, but if the line out is at a fixed level you'll need an attenuator between the source and the H2.

You can get a lot of useful nitty gritty details on using the H2 successfully in this thread: http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9745

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-27-2010, 07:36 AM

+1 for the zoom H2:

http://en.audiofanzine.com/pocket-re...s/zoom-h2.html
Old 08-01-2010, 09:07 PM

H4n for the win!!! The best little portable recorder i've ever had
Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Portable Recorders

Aloha,

Great advice here.

Since you're a beginning acoustic guitar recordist here, perhaps you should check out the new Zoom H-1 when it arrives in a couple weeks. It's simple and under $100. But you should check out the others mentioned AND other brands so you can appreciate and learn the differences among them. For point and record, the H1 or H2 would be a decent place to start cheaply.

However, IME, all portable recorders still have serious limitations at this point, but they're getting better. And they are great for capturing moments like concerts and parties, and for getting into recording your guitar as a newbie.

There are pros & cons, as with everything. You'll either think they're great or not such a great value, depending on your goals and uses, and what you choose. There is also a huge difference in the quality of manufacturing - Sony's vs. Zooms for example, IMO.

Cons: Crappy preamps (the "sonic" killer for me in terms of being satisfied with the sound), difficult to read & complicated menus (even still w/ the H4n), inability by most to handle two balanced X-L-R or 1/4" cables for better condenser mics (except the H4n), problems being read by more than a few computers, unprofessional (unlike studio quality) final product quality no matter what processing you do on a DAW, etc. As mentioned, there is also a problem w/ hyper-sensitive "line" modes. Sometimes difficult to quickly determine the recording levels on the Zooms. It all depends on your the uses, purposes, goals & ears and knowledge of how to use portables.

Pros: Very handy & portable, simple 'point and record' for H1 & 2, surprisingly good sounding built-in mics, ability to drag files to your computer and share quickly, ability to capture spontaneous events and music. Among the Zooms, the H4n gives you all the monitoring options you'd need.

I was at a great music party last Sunday evening at which the bass player captured the night with his Zoom Q3. But the party was outside on a lanai and the video failed to deal with the shadows & uneven light. The music sounded OK for live, reflecting the weird mix of equipment, acoustic/electric and styles. It captured all the wind noise as well.

If I were to choose among the Zooms you inquired about, I'd wait to hear the new, very afforable H-1. But for the best recording options and sound, the H4n provides the most options among the Zooms.

I would probably get one of the Sony's if I cared more about portable recording. The differences between them and the Zoom's is like night and day -but so is the price. You should try out more portables than only the Zoom's, IMO, such as Olympus, Edirol, Marantz, Tascam (the DR-1 is a very cool unit), M-Audio, Korg, Roland, Yamaha and of course, the Sony's.

Remember, the popular items on guitar sites like these often reflect a bias towards what's cheap - in this case the Zoom's - and not always what's better or best. So check 'em out for your own knowledge's sake, OK?

If you want to capture good guitar sound on portables, you should also get an adaptor for a MIC STAND or buy the stand & other accessories that Zoom offers - LIKE WINDSCREENS - to achieve the best "sweet spot" placement & wind-free quality you can get for stereo miking of an acoustic guitar.

Good luck with your search.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 08-01-2010 at 10:41 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD