The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2019, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
And...Newtones sound excellent, last long and are low in calories.

I'm pretty sure that they're gluten free, too.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:45 AM

Best sounding strings on my FB-C.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:47 AM

Default Sound Excellent

Stringjoys sound great on my Fender and I changed these after about 6 mos. The old ones did not sound too bad either. You mileage may vary. Price difference isnt that much different but shipping times are a lot longer from the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
And...Newtones sound excellent, last long and are low in calories.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash58 View Post
Contact them, they will make it right !
These 80/20 strings after a few days are still extremely lacking the sound I've always gotten from 80/20's. I'm just a bit disappointed in Stringjoy after all the hype I read about them. Not bad enough to ask for a refund. I worked in metallurgy once. I'm aware the first set of strings I've got on my guitar now might not have had sufficient thermal treating before going into the winder. However, that explanation might not work for the increasing gauges of the string set? The second set might actually be perfectly to my liking but I'll likely just give them away at an open mic this Thursday instead of risking installing them. I should add my "qualifications" for assessing string sound is based on 53 years of playing a plethora of name brand electric and acoustic guitars. I'm not outright knocking Stringjoy products, I just didn't have a positive experience with my first order.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
I ordered two sets of light 80/20's for my maple Gibson AJ. I immediately noticed a pronounced lack of the usual brightness I expect from 80/20. WIll likely give the second set away.
I have to amend this post. I decided today to give the second set of 80/20's I ordered a shot. Imagine my surprise when I saw that the second set was Bright Brass. Not what I ordered. I thought, "what the heck. Let's give them a try". I'm glad someone who packed my order made this mistake. My Gibson maple AJ is a different beast. And to think, just a few days ago I was gonna trade it for a Gibson Sparrow because I'm a sucker for the double parallelogram inlays! Glad I backed out. I have a very satisfying, exuberant tone I'm head over heals in love with. Stringjoy bright brass is my new string.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:46 AM

Dumb me! I thought I remembered seeing 80/20 on the first set I installed. I guess I was wrong! Bright Brass is apparently what Stringjoy calls their 80/20"s. I have no idea why the second set is so fulfilling to me! From my manufacturing experience in a past life I'm aware different batches of metal can exhibit different properties. I guess the first set I installed was for some reason not their best product, although I know quality control inspection would likely not have revealed this. Hopefully my new go to strings will all be the same quality as this second set I've just installed. End of my tale. Back to your regular programming.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:28 AM

OK, I just got my free set up on my E60 Em Eastman after about a month after I bought it. They tweaked the nut a little bit and shave a little off the saddle. I mentioned that the tension seemed stiffer than my D-18 so they suggested trying some Stringjoy phosphor string so I thought why not. Wow, I love them! My guitar came alive instantly. Got it home and could not put down until I could not stay awake any longer. Apparently these strings are all hand wound and the science behind them sounds a lot like Santa Cruz strings. We’ll see how long they last.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 08-18-2019, 10:42 AM

I tried out the Natural Bronze in light and standard light and thought they were fine but not worth the premium price. However, I am beginning to use more and more altered tunings so maybe one day I’ll experiment with a custom set and that will make it worth it.

In short, their strings sound good but aren’t anything special unless you require a custom set. If that’s the case, their price is worth it.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-21-2019, 08:42 AM

Well, after 3 days of fairly hard playing, the Soundjoy strings are already starting to lose their tone. All the wound strings seem to be fading a bit already and the strings are starting to sound like all the others I've tried that usually took at least two weeks before starting to show signs of wear. But 3 days????? Really???? I'm a bit disappointed and will probably try something else next change.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion