The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-19-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
One thing I want to add about my Schertler Roy is that it sounds incredible through all it’s volume ranges. You can go from whisper to ear splitting levels and the sound is the same other than volume. I’m almost more impressed by this fact at low volumes. You can just barely turn it up and you will feel the bass and the clarity. As you turn it up, that never changes.
EDITED*** The Schertler David might be an option. I'm checking it out.

Fender PM-3 Deluxe 000

'62 Silvertone Archtop

Last edited by Blueridgebound; 07-19-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:14 PM
Guest 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
One thing I want to add about my Schertler Roy is that it sounds incredible through all it’s volume ranges. You can go from whisper to ear splitting levels and the sound is the same other than volume. I’m almost more impressed by this fact at low volumes. You can just barely turn it up and you will feel the bass and the clarity. As you turn it up, that never changes.
My Schertler UNICO is the same - absolutely incredible sound quality. To my ears substantially better than my AER Compact 60 but the downside is the weight.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Fishman Loudbox Mini is all you need for most venues.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:23 PM

I have been fascinated with just exactly how many ways there are to fill a venue with sound, and how many opinions there are as to how to effectively do that. There truly isn't just one way to skin a cat.

There are combo amps.

Powered speaker arrays.

Mixing board/speaker setups.

Small amps plugged into existing systems.

Whew!! I'm not telling anyone to stop chiming in ... I've learned tons in this thread ... I've certainly had to do my homework trying to keep up with all of the suggestions.

Thanks

Fender PM-3 Deluxe 000

'62 Silvertone Archtop
Old 07-19-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Fishman Loudbox Mini is all you need for most venues.
Not sure how small the venues that folks are playing, but a Loudbox Mini wouldn't cut it on most of my gigs. Tonight was a decent sized Irish Pub with about 200-250 people.

There was a class reunion party going on in the bar area where I was playing. I had a Line 6 L2T over a Yorkville NX720s Powered 15" sub for FOH with another L2T as a monitor.

I barely had to push the system but it sounded clean, clear, and full even with all the bar chatter. The sub isn't about volume, it's about fullness.

Tomorrow will be the same setup on a 2nd floor outdoor patio that gets pretty rowdy. Sunday is the same setup again with my trio. (drums & keys)

Monday: PA is provided. Tuesday: one L2T, Wednesday is back to the sub and two L2's. Thursday:: full, Friday full, next Saturday: one L2T.

Next Saturday is the only gig this month that a Loudbox mini would have worked for me, but I'd rather have a bigger system working well within its means, than a smaller system shouting its lungs out.

I advised a friend on what to get, and he got a Fender Passport system instead. He's had two gigs that it wasn't loud enough for. One indoors and one outdoors. Another gig required that he use a female XLR to dual RCA to patch into the house system to put into different zones, and he doesn't have an XLR out on that system, so they couldn't hear him in the back of the place or out on the patio.

He said he was pushing it to its limits on the outdoor gig and they kept asking if he could turn up. Fortunately, Guitar Center has a 45 day return policy and he's going the CP8 and small format mixer route this week.

The small format mixer / powered speaker route allows you to add to it as your needs change to create a scalable system that will work in all situations. No need to have a bunch of different PA's. You just bring what you need for the gig.

I currently have two subs, four mixers (four, eight, eight, and sixteen channel versions) four Line 6 L2T's and an L3T, and enough mics and cables to run two bands at the same time.

Sometimes I have doubles where I have to set up a system at two places to make a tight time tolerance work, sometimes it's a two location setup for a ceremony and cocktail hour at a wedding, and sometimes I rent a system out.

It's probably way overkill for some folks, but I never stress my system out, always have plenty of power which I control with the volume faders, and plenty of EQ at the board for tough rooms. I had zero days off this month and only three days off in August. (That may change though.)

Honestly, I wish I could gig with an S1 Pro or Loudbox Mini. They're good units, but they'd fold on most of my gigs and one L2T would work in place of either.

Hope this makes sense.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 07-20-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgebound View Post
... I am going to start performing out ..... I won't be playing restaurants or bars. May play church functions, writers nights.
Venue size identified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I think the smallest, high-quality amp that many use - and will light up a good sized room is the Fishman Loudbox Mini. If you need more coverage than that, they likely have a PA system you can mic into or run a line to.
This was offered as an excellent answer - covered the PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Not sure how small the venues that folks are playing, but a Loudbox Mini wouldn't cut it on most of my gigs. Tonight was a decent sized Irish Pub with about 200-250 people.
.... Monday: PA is provided. Tuesday: one L2T, Wednesday is back to the sub and two L2's. Thursday:: full, Friday full, next Saturday: one L2T.....
OP covered venue need in original post. The Mini would likely work for any gig that the OP stated he/she would be playing and, if not, plug it in to the PA system. This is really about what the OP needs. No, a mini amp would not work for every gig.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Venue size identified.
Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
OP covered venue need in original post. The Mini would likely work for any gig that the OP stated he/she would be playing and, if not, plug it in to the PA system. This is really about what the OP needs. No, a mini amp would not work for every gig.
I understand, but as you start gigging more, you'll get offered more gigs, and needs can change pretty quickly. Sometimes a speaker needs to be elevated to cover the room, and a small powered speaker can be placed where it makes the most sense in the room.

The mixer can be placed next to the performer and adjustments can be made without having to get up. If the needs change, the system can be added to.

Now, you can use a Loudbox mini as a mixer and scale up with more speakers, but you wont have as much control over them. Sometimes I'll have my speakers at different volumes, and even change those volumes as the need arrises.

There are in fact, plenty of ways to make this work, but I maintain that the OP may have different situations on the horizon that would benefit from what I'm suggesting.

I show up to a gig with my full system in the car, assess the room, and bring in what I need for the situation. Having options and a system that isn't being pushed to its limits is a good thing in my opinion. YMMV.

Hope this makes sense.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 07-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post

I show up to a gig with my full system in the car, assess the room, and bring in what I need for the situation. Having options and a system that isn't being pushed to its limits is a good thing in my opinion. YMMV.

Hope this makes sense.
Makes perfect sense and seems like a great approach. You've got ample gear to choose from so are in a great position to adapt to nearly anything. Well done!
Old 07-20-2019, 06:58 PM

Ok. Sadly I live over two hours from any major city with a large music store. So I made the two hour trip to Atlanta to the biggest Guitar Center I've ever been in. My goal. Put hands and ears on as much stuff as I can.

QSC CP8. Killer speaker to me. Really liked it. Threw a lot of clean sound for such a small price. Same price as Sweetwater.

Mics: Tried Sennheiser e935 and e945. Both good mics. Tried Shure 57, 58 and Beta 87A.
Really liked the clarity of the 87A.

Mixers: Yamaha MG10XU. Nice board.

Fishman Loudbox Mini, Mini Charge and Artist.

I did the math, reassessed my goals and probable startup gigs, church groups and writers night's. Here's what I decided on and why to the best of my ability.

1. Shure Beta87A. Didn't want to skimp on a Mic, really liked it. It seemed crisp and with my dry voice I thought I could mix it pretty effectively.

2. Paired that with a Mogami Gold 25' Mic cable. Didn't want to scrimp on a cable.

3. Fishman Loudbox Artist. When I saw how small it was, no need for a mini. Bluetooth capable .. gotta have that for my tracks. Just enough eq ability to get me started on this journey. Ability to add the QSC CP8 later if necessary, ability to add foot pedal I want later. Enough volume at and 120 watts out. Easy to practice with at home.

4. Hercules MS401B Mic stand. Like this type.

I know there will probably be a mixer/QSC in my future or some equivalent should I get bigger chances.

One interesting thing I noticed. Through countless hours on the net and YouTube I transitioned from looking something little like a Loudbox Mini to bigger and more expensive equipment based on opinions and reviews, ending up looking at 1000 plus dollar amps, speakers and combos. In the end, I decided to go with what I believe to be respectable equipment that I can upgrade without having to sell. I came close to a L1C. 1000 by itself.

Oh, I almost forgot. The Fishman Artist was on sale, it was a pristine condition floor model, so I got it for $100 off retail.

So far, I'm content. But, there's always more gear to search out!!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Fender PM-3 Deluxe 000

'62 Silvertone Archtop
Old 07-21-2019, 05:38 AM

I appreciate your follow up decision. You can't go wrong with the Artist. I did gig one for several yrs. The 87A is a great mic, I have one too. All in all you did good.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:43 AM

Did you have a chance to try the Boss Acoustic Singer models?
If so, what were your thoughts, and what was the deciding factor to get the Fishman?
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 07-21-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Did you have a chance to try the Boss Acoustic Singer models?
If so, what were your thoughts, and what was the deciding factor to get the Fishman?
Hey Zandit. A couple of reasons, they didn't have one, and, I decided I didn't want an amp with the looper and vocal harmonies built in. If I do those, I'll go with a pedal. Second, I was satisfied with the sound I could get from the unit at the store. And finally, everyone says Fishman's customer service is very good. I'm sure the Boss is excellent as well. Neither would have been a bad choice probably.

Fender PM-3 Deluxe 000

'62 Silvertone Archtop
Old 07-21-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
I have the Boss Acoustic Singer Pro, and easily fill a large indoor market area.
Here's an image of the space to give you some perspective
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpqj5MFFWeS/

Here is also a video of me performing in this market.
https://www.facebook.com/daniel.quai...30040690386176

If you were to consider either the Pro or Live, I would suggest going for the larger one, as you can always turn it down for smaller venues, but you may hit the limits trying to fill a larger room with the lesser powered amp.
Very nice performance. I love my Quiklok chair. It is the best out there.
How was your stay in the white house?
Old 07-21-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Excellent choices all around. I bought my Artiist about 5 years ago and still love it. BTW, recently went with a better mic stand after endless frustration with cheap stands failing on the job-good call!
Old 07-21-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
Very nice performance. I love my Quiklok chair. It is the best out there.

How was your stay in the white house?
Thanks Audie, most appreciated. I was a little young to remember the white house, I was only in high school at the time, talk about an over achiever!!
The chair is actually a cheapie from Artist Guitars, here in Australia. Only cost me $50 AUD. Initially it's comfortable, but I get a very sore tailbone after finishing a 2-3 hour set that stays with me for several days afterward.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification