The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-14-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I tried 2 Taylor nylons while I was there and those were nice as well. I agree with you I would love to try an Emerald nylon but I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay for one. It was a fun experience though and it helped me learn to control some of my impulses!
My local Taylor dealer had a little Academy nylon a few weeks back that was surprisingly really cool. The small body, short scale, arm bevel nylon with hybrid-like nut and string spacing made for an extremely comfortable guitar to play. The onboard electric pickup system though very simple in nature sounded great right into my Bose S1 - a criteria for me.

It also sound pretty darn good acoustically. These can be had online through AGF sponsors for around the mid $500 range so quite a lot of guitar for the money and would be a great backup to my Emerald. I've thought about grabbing one just for that. Then I could sell both my other Emeralds and bank the cash for when another Emerald nylon pops here our on Emerald's site.

I'd love to play a full-on GC body Taylor nylon but I was quite surprised (and a little disappointed) at the steel string's versions pickup systems. They were quite low powered, or so it seemed, compared to that Academy nylon.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
My local Taylor dealer had a little Academy nylon a few weeks back that was surprisingly really cool. The small body, short scale, arm bevel nylon with hybrid-like nut and string spacing made for an extremely comfortable guitar to play. The onboard electric pickup system though very simple in nature sounded great right into my Bose S1 - a criteria for me.

It also sound pretty darn good acoustically. These can be had online through AGF sponsors for around the mid $500 range so quite a lot of guitar for the money and would be a great backup to my Emerald. I've thought about grabbing one just for that. Then I could sell both my other Emeralds and bank the cash for when another Emerald nylon pops here our on Emerald's site.

I'd love to play a full-on GC body Taylor nylon but I was quite surprised (and a little disappointed) at the steel string's versions pickup systems. They were quite low powered, or so it seemed, compared to that Academy nylon.
I played the academy series nylon and I believe the other was a 300 series nylon and I actually preferred the academy nylon. Even though it's in theory a lower end model the arm bevel is a nice addition and it was more comfortable. Tonally there wasn't enough difference to justify the higher price for the other one. I never played it plugged in so I can't comment on that. I think the academy series nylon would be a worthy candidate for someone looking to venture into nylon without breaking the bank or in your case as a backup guitar.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

The Academy is the one I had, I thought it sounded really good plugged into my Loudbox Mini and that was the only way I played it. I was wanting something that I didn't have to plug in to get the best out of it.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:34 PM
Guest 928

I never tried the Academy. I did try the upscale Taylor nylons, and liked them, However, several contacts here warned me that Taylors didn't do well in this climate (it's 110 degrees as I'm writing this).

I do have an interesting Taylor story. While cruising through every guitar store in San Diego I ran across a beautiful Chinese guitar; Good wood, great sound, $300. It looked familiar and I bought it and took it to a shop where I knew the sales staff and we played the guitar against a Taylor. We took turns playing and doing blind comparisons--it was a wash. And then we started looking more closely and realized that the two guitars were identical other than the specific woods used. I then went on line to look up the migrant instrument and it was nowhere to be found. My supposition is that the guitar was imported with no fanfare along with the well-known company's other known offerings. I sold the guitar to a friend who still has and loves it. I have never found another one.

As kramster says, just saying..........................
Old 11-10-2019, 11:21 AM

Gotta say, that 2008 x10 with the
Center hole would certainly entice me
I could jump if it went on sale
Old 11-10-2019, 11:26 AM

Good ole center hole..steel string of course.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 11-11-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

I have an Emerald X7 nylon. I picked it up used. It’s fantastic. I showed it to my brother recently and played it for him. He listened and then asked if it was somehow being amplified. It was not. It’s unexpectedly loud for such a small guitar.
My instructor was shocked by its tone, specifically the brightness of the trebles. Could be influenced by the strings, of course, but it’s a wonderful instrument.

If I could change anything, it would be the 1&7/8 nut. I prefer wider.

As previously mentioned it is a perfect take anywhere, travel size guitar.

I would love to have a nylon X10 or possibly X20. I can only imagine how great they sound.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:56 AM

Been a long time since I could contribute (life and all that!). For those of you wondering what an X20 Nylon sounds like, I have a phone quality recording of me practicing a short piece (though don't expect a great performance).

https://home.mycloud.com/action/shar...6-515c77fcca26

The tone is great to me (and preferable to my other nylon instruments), but the volume doesn't compete well against solid wood tops. The volume isn't bad, it's just not as loud as woodies.

It's my opinion that the X20 body more closely meets the shape and size of a classical than the other available models Emerald has, in case anyone was wondering.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
Been a long time since I could contribute (life and all that!). For those of you wondering what an X20 Nylon sounds like, I have a phone quality recording of me practicing a short piece (though don't expect a great performance).
Sounds great to me! Nice guitar and very nice playing.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
Been a long time since I could contribute (life and all that!). For those of you wondering what an X20 Nylon sounds like,
Thanks for posting that ! I've been wanting to hear a Emerald Nylon...good playing too.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:06 PM
Guest 928

bt;

I've owned or played just about every CF nylon strung guitar. I agree with your statement that they do not project to the level of a good wooden instrument. One exception might be the Blackbird Rider in either Flamenco or Classical mode.

The Rider looks a bit like a Lute and has incredible tonal and projection qualities. It also travels nicely and looks cool. I did not find it comfortable to play, but found it to be one of the best sounding CF nylons.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
. . . . the Blackbird Rider in either Flamenco or Classical mode . . . .
I assume these have reached "collectors" status by now.
Do they ever come up for sale anymore??
Old 11-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Guest 928

AC;

I think you are right. The Riders and the Super OMs are probable early CF collectors items. I have not seen any on the market in quite some time.

Joe has probably kept the molds and might be amenable to an occasional limited edition if a number of people were willing to pay the price.

If someone was really interested they could put out a "want to buy" call and see what turned up.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:08 PM

I wish I had got one when available. *Sigh*.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:28 PM

When I looked this morning, Ted still shows a steel string Super OM and a Lucky 13 in stock. No Riders though in either steel or nylon.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber