The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Default new gear: Dangerous Monitor ST

In anticipation of the studio I'll have after my move, I picked up a Dangerous Monitor ST. I plan on purchasing a pair of midfield monitors at some point but I don't want to give up my Neumann KH120s, so a monitor controller was on my wishlist and I figure even though I don't need the switching right now, I can still integrate it into my current system and learn how it works before I get where I'm getting.

There's quite a bit to this box other than managing up to three pairs of monitors and a sub. It has a great headphone amp, a talkback mic, it allows me to set the volumes on my midfields and nearfields independently so there's no volume difference when comparing tracks on either set of monitors & it lets me do the same thing for a mastered reference track. You can even set the sub volume different for every pair of monitors.

It has a remote control that attaches to the rack unit via an Cat5 cable. This is great because no sound has to travel to the remote and back. The remote simply operates switches in the main box. The remote has a low pass filter button which is going to be very handy when mixing bass and drums. It has a mono button so you can check for phase issues. It's a very cool piece of gear.

The remote was important to me because my plan is to set up my studio with a mirrored monitor. I'll have the iMac set up on my mixing desk but I'm really tired of working over the top of my 88 key midi controller so I'm going to set that up separately with the mirrored monitor and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Since the Monitor ST remote only needs a single cable (which can be made in as long a length as I'd need), it's easy to take it with me when I'm going work on the keyboard.

I haven't racked it yet because I'm waiting on some things from Redco. The connections on the Monitor ST box are Dsub so I'm having a Dsub/TRS box made. My plan is to install that box on the back of a rack and have a couple of short run Dsub cables between it and the Monitor ST. I could have just gone with a couple of Dsub to TRS female cables but I didn't want all that weight hanging off the back of the Monitor ST.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-21-2019, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Cool unit , your studio is growing .
I pronounce you to be well into full blown GAS

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-21-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Cool unit , your studio is growing .
I pronounce you to be well into full blown GAS
I want to hit the ground running with a full studio on the other side of my relocation. This unit is going to take some figuring to get it all set up correctly for my needs. I have a friend who is good at helping me sort that stuff out so it makes sense for me to buy that now when we can brainstorm in the same room rather than later when we'd have to figure it all out via Skype.

There are really only two more big studio purchases in my future. I want a set of high quality midfield monitors to compliment my Neumann KH120s. I nearly pulled the trigger on an Adam S3V pair a couple of weeks ago for $500 off and long term no interest financing, but I talked myself out of it because the room I have now isn't big enough for me to properly test them.

The other purchase is much more self-indulgent: a Chandler Curve Bender. I absolutely love the UAD plugin version... so much so that I'm dying to own one. But that will probably have to wait a few years until Social Security kicks in. My current house is paid off but I anticipate taking out a 15 year mortgage on the next house. I'll have a three year stretch before SS kicks in where I'll have to curb my gear desires.

The only other thing that could possibly entice me is if someone develops a U67 clone that really nails the sound and comes in at $3k or under. I feel good about my mic locker as it stands but a great 67 clone would get my attention.

Still waiting on my Redco order so I can use this Dangerous unit. Redco deliveries are taking longer this past year or two. Great quality and great prices so I won't complain about the wait time.

This applies...
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD