The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 02:06 AM

Default Have a old guitar no serial or label

Hey there I found an old guitar that used to be my brothers from back in the 80s. I couldn't find a serial number or a label for it. Does anyone have any idea who makes this guitar? I couldn't figure out how to post the pictures
Old 12-12-2019, 02:23 AM

Here some pictures of it
Old 12-12-2019, 03:03 AM
Charter Member

Guitars that are unbranded are usually budget items made in bulk for a catalogue or schools.
I'm afraid that my impressions from your photos are that it is a very low level item.
However, if it plays OK - then what more do we need?
Old 12-12-2019, 04:30 AM

Dave, judging by the bridge and the rosette, which is the fancy marquetry inlaid around the soundhole, what you have is an inexpensive classical guitar, intended for use with nylon strings only.

The tuners are not quite right for nylon strings, because usually the rollers on the tuners of classical guitars are thicker. But everything else on this guitar points towards it being a classical guitar: the headstock shape, the headstock slots, the bridge, the rosette and even the shape and size of the instrument.

Those appear to be steel strings on there, but those can actually damage the instrument. You should probably take those off and replace them with a set of classical guitar nylon strings.

Ernie Ball makes a nylon string set that has ball ends, and LaBella makes a set like that, too. Putting those on the guitar will be easier than tying the strings on at the bridge, which is what most classical guitarists do.

Learning how to do that isn’t particularly difficult, but using ball end nylon strings will be easier for now.

But if I’m correct that this is a classical guitar - and I’m pretty certain that I am - then you need to get those steel strings off the guitar.

If I’m mistaken about those being steel strings, and that’s possible because I’m looking at the photos on my phone and the resolution isn’t great, but if I’m correct about them being steel you really need to replace them with nylon.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-12-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Those appear to be steel strings on there, but those can actually damage the instrument. You should probably take those off and replace them with a set of classical guitar nylon strings.
I'm looking on PC and they look like steel to me too. OP, take this ^^^ seriously; the tension from a set of steel strings is around double that of nylons. I've seen 3 or 4 nylon guitars that have been strung with steel strings. All were severely damaged - bulging tops, lifting bridges, separating heels and sides.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:58 AM

What wade said.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion